Republic of Rome forum game

Senate Phase

The senate is convened, Junius presiding. The first order of business must be to elect a pair of consuls for the coming year.

@Panzeh: the floor is yours.

Rome is in trying times. The Gauls stand threatening the borders of the Republic, and it has come time for us to select two new Consuls, Consuls who can deal well with this potential crisis and bring honor to Rome, particularly after ill omens.

With that, I nominate Furius and Fabius as the next two consuls. Eastern Grain Company, your vote?

No debate? With two wars, both our consuls should be men of the best military ability. Why Furious? Why not Fulvius?

We vote for the motion, of course. We shall protect the republic.

It’s time for action, not useless debate.

Plus, grain price is down due to the bothersome Gauls…

Veto. Plays tribune card. This smells of a backroom deal.

Virtus Romana insists on consultation of the Senate regarding strategy.

Ah, we can see Virtus Romana arguing for a less militarily capable candidate in this situation. Rather than debate the propsal given, they have chosen simply to… do away with it.

Fulvius is absolutely not the general we need to fight the Gauls.

Sorry, I meant Aemeilus. Regardless , 2 senators with a 4 should be chosen.

Flaminius and Fabius seem the most capable in that regard, but I advise for a strong military leader to deal with the Gauls (Fabius) and a political leader to stay at home.

We can’t yet prosecute the Punic wars without fleets and so few legions. We must deal with the Gauls first.

Next year will be the time to say hi to Carthage.

Choosing 2 military leaders is ill advised now.

Why not Aemelius and Aelius?

Point of Order: Apologies, I realise I forgot to account for the evil omens with the State of the Republic speech. 8 becomes 7 which means no change in unrest but there’s now a Manpower Shortage in operation. Status post updated to reflect this.

I dunno. It’s for @Panzeh to choose. I’m cool as long as Fabius is there.

Amelius and Aelius are the best men, both Militarily and Domestically. As I vetoed, that slate cannot be renominated. I’ll vote for, actively support, and not obstruct with a veto, Aemilius and Aelius, if nominated by the Claudians.

More than ever, we can only afford one war now. I believe Fabius is the best military commander we have, and will wait for input on the other.

Amelius is just as good. And Aelius is the best Rome Consul. Why not nominate them?

@rho21 a rules question: Now that I have vetoed those candidates, they cannot be renominated, correct?

That particular pairing cannot be renominated. Either candidate can be proposed with another partner.

The honorable Virtus faction speaks true, this is a dangerous threat at our early going. And capable military leaders shall be required.

While I respect the nomination of the capable Fabius, the haste was most concerning. And for that reason I can not support his position.

Rome should nominate the best, and counter this threat with the full night we possess, lest our freedoms be overrun!

Actually, with manpower shortages now in effect, pursuing the war might be folly (to have a good chance we’d have to raise 10 legions, which we can’t afford).

Let us have accord between The Eastern Grain Factions and Rex Antiquis! I call upon Claudius, please nominate Amelius and Aelius, @Panzeh!

@Juan_Raigada, prosecuting one of the wars, even without victory this turn, is a must. Unrest.

I would gladly be the shield to your trumpet Juan of the eastern grain. If martial victory eludes is today, then tomorrow I would devote all resources to pursuing it with more vigor.

Certainly victory is tough, but I do not know it to be impossible. And tomorrow we may find that we have a new leader who can take the mantle if we do not succeed today.