Resident Alien - Alan Tudyk on Syfy

Woohoo!!! Awesome!

It does have a little bit of a Northern Exposure vibe, from what I remember of Northern Exposure.

One really great thing about it is how it really puts women and POCs in the forefront of the cast without making a huge deal of it. I mean, if you think about it, Patience is weirdly ethnically diverse for a little out of the way mountain town, but the show doesn’t feel like it’s making a big point of it. It’s kind of like Bridgerton, where theres an “ahistorical” diversity, but within the context of the show, it’s just…there.

Harry: My…people…are not a costume.
Asta: …welcome to my world.

To add to that and mentioned upthread, every character here has a bit of a story and they cover a wide range of that within the quick comedic plots.

Things like the quick arc of the deputy, or that of the sheriff, etc.

Some are my favorite laughs are the absurdity of the situations like googling everything (as a doctor or an alien trying to figure something out,) or a show about an alien out of place that pokes fun of people who feel out of place because of aliens, etc. The writing is pretty good but the delivery of those involved is very top notch.

Any guesses on: what type of alien the female government killer character is?

Hah, I just realized that Darcy was on People of Earth, which had a strong start but kind of petered out. Similar vibes though, not least of which from the whole aliens thing. I kind of low key want a Wyatt Cenac cameo now.

Oh! The new doctor was also the reptilian boss in People of Earth! No wonder he seemed so familiar, and no wonder I fully expected him to be a secret alien.

I’d been recording this on the DVR from the start but we just got around to watching it a week or so ago. We’ve been watching an episode per night and really enjoying it. It’s laugh-out-loud funny at times, kind of serious and poignant at others, and as someone else upthread said you really start to care about all of the characters, not just the main ones. Tudyk also plays a fantastic fish out of water, his facial expressions and physical mannerisms really sell the character and make amusingly written scenes even funnier.

There are the obvious leaps of logic and it’s in no way high art as far as television goes, but it is well written, well acted and very enjoyable, which makes it the perfect TV for us right now. I am sad it is ending it’s season this week, but am looking forward to another season since it was renewed.

I’ll have to check this out, seems like a great fit for Tudyk’s style. He was so good in Con Man, which is now on Amazon Prime if anyone missed it.

Three episodes in on Peacock (who may only have the first 5? Hard to say, their whole UX is garbage). Enjoying it so far and loved the little Con Man easter egg with the kid’s lunchbox in episode 2.

Oh wow, completely missed that.

Also that was one hell of a finale.

I was not aware of this being on Amazon, thanks!

Finale was well done and I’m glad they wrapped up many threads. This show went from curiosity to something I didn’t want to miss. Anxious for season 2!

I think my favorite thing about the finale is:

Actual Harry Vanderspeigle is a god damned murderer!

Yeah, that was a real good swerve with the timeline confusion, and definitely sets up some good material for S2.

Overall, a good finale to a really strong season.

Agreed. Can’t wait for season 2.

I wish Northern Exposure was available somewhere for streaming. I didn’t watch hardly any TV during college, so I missed it. But I remember catching an episode once, and it seemed like a nice quirky show that I would enjoy. Plus it had the actress from Cliffhanger.

My wife and I really enjoyed the first season of this, and can’t wait for season two. I think the line “This is some bullshit.” delivered in Harry’s flat monotone is going to be my summer catchphrase. =)

They got the Ancient Aliens guy for a guest spot! Delightful.

Never mind that. What about Terry Fucking O’Quinn???

I hope he returns for S2

Episode 4.

This is a fun show. Does not feel like a cheap-ass syfy show either. Acting is good.

Acting is good and the characters are interesting, ended up being the biggest surprise about the show for me.

This is NOT some bullshit.