Rising Storm 2: Vietnam - Me so horny for shooter

I know, Tripwire needs to do something about all the anti-G.I. hate speech in this game.

Looks good.

I was thinking more about the horribly cringey people on voice chat affecting their best viet cong accents.

Think I may grab this tonight as it’s on sale. I have no issues with it being hardcore, but I am a bit worried about how much you need to communicate with randoms. I guess for 15 bucks it’s worth at least trying. Hopefully I don’t team kill a million people trying to figure the game out.

Awesome thanks for the info. Guess I’ll give it a shot tonight. Between this and Pubg I will need a mental evaluation. :)

Had a bit of trouble with the anti cheat not installing, but after I figured that out I was up and running. This game is hard, but it never feels unfair. I’m really digging it so far. Would be super fun if I had some people I knew to play with, but playing with randoms so far seems okay. It’s really hard to not team kill, but I’ve done a pretty good job of avoiding it so far. Avoiding it has probably gotten ME killed more as I hesitate to shoot and then die a horrible death. :) Well worth the 15 or so bucks I paid for it that’s for sure.

Whoa that looks pretty cool. I found the game pretty hard in that I kept on shooting my own guys. :( Might need to check that out this weekend.

Hmm from the videos I’m watching it looks like friendly labels is on. Sweet… I’m downloading it even though I have 900 other things I’m playing right now lol.

I played for about a half hour so I can’t really give any impressions. All the servers I joined did have friendly tags so thank god for that. I really really feel bad when I accidentally TK someone. Probably run a few rounds again tonight.

I played a ton of this last summer, that looks pretty cool.

67% off on Steam this weekend.

I just finished a campaign mode game and it has some interesting twists, such as you vote for which army your side will use. For example, fighting for South Vietnam you could pick the US Army, Australian Army, or Army of the Republic of Viet Nam. That changes both character models and more importantly which weapons are equipped.

Win a round and your team votes to pick the next map. Each round represents one year of the war which affects available weapons, air support, and for the last couple years US and Australian army aren’t there any more.

My side was so bad we lost 2 years early. I’m tempted to jump right into another campaign even though it can take several hours if sticking around for the entire war.

From the main menu: click on “Stats” and view your shame! My ratio is 0.42 :(

Eh it’s just a reference to Full Metal Jacket which is pretty appropriate to this game… The actual game is heavy with the racism I must say. The last few times it wasn’t so bad, but omg the fake accents people love to scream around is just terrible.

I played for a few minutes yesterday and we were getting steamrolled so bad that I ended up just quitting out after dying 10 times without even really firing a shot back. Not a fault of the game per say, but geez this game can be really punishing.

Ehhh. @Miguk is correct that it’s a bit offensive. I apologize for that. Of course, he could’ve asked me to change it and I would’ve. That said, I’m Korean and I find this kind of thing more educational than offensive, so I’m probably a bad judge. The times I’ve had “gook” or “chink” yelled at me, I feel more pity and amusement for the ignorant racist than much outrage.

Bearing back on it, the exploitation of sex workers in the Korean War and Vietnam War were serious issues. The fact that Kubrick is one of the few directors to even include a scene like that is amazing because that type of encounter was common.

But hey, how about this game?

It’s a Full Metal Jacket reference. And please point out another “overt racism” example. Better yet, just slink back to The Other Board [TM] now that you’re all suffused with self-righteous vindication. You’ll have a wonderful, new topic starter that will receive plenty of likes, I’m sure.

Even though, as other have said, it’s a Kubrick reference, I agree the title can be offensive. But “overt racism” in general here? Feel free to point out where it is, because I haven’t really noticed. And I wouldn’t feel comfortable being here if it was actually overt racist (seriously).

I finally got to try it this weekend, and I liked it. It’s punishing, but it’s a good kind of punishing. It feels like Insurgency in that way (even with similar class options), but on a bigger scale, and with more icons. Icons everywhere! I think I like Insurgency: Sandstorm better because of the less UI clutter, but this is a good option if I want larger PvP battles with a similar hardcore setting.

I jumped into this, joined a server, chose autoselect at the team screen, spawned as the Viet Cong, followed one of the guys marked green for being in my squad, watched him dig a tunnel, got the drop on an enemy soldier creeping up us, and scored a kill! Then I figured I should probably learn how the game actually works and quit out. So I currently have a pretty nice K:D ratio.

I love the idea of the campaign and I think I might sink some time into this. I’m especially psyched about the EXTREME ASYMMETRY of a Vietnam shooter, which is why I dropped out of the match until I can actually learn some of the gameplay. It looks like the “Boot Camp” is mostly tutorial videos, but with some practice areas. I’d rather read a manual, but I guess it’s time to watch some videos instead.

-Tom

The extreme asymmetry of American kids humping through the jungle with M16’s, versus Vietnamese kids humping through the jungle with AK’s.

OK, I am very tempted by this game. Experienced players, Question, should I finally procure a Controller for the PC to play this one? It seems that m/kb might not cut it here. Or am I mistaken?

Yeah, practically speaking it wasn’t much different at a small unit level from New Guinea, Philippines 41, Philippines 44, The Solomons, Burma, Malaya 1941, Malaya 1950-60, & etc, but let’s not puncture the myths the uninitiated thrive on, @scharmers