Rocksmith

You can play the whole riff if you know it. Its not like rock band, extra notes aren’t penalized.

Bass! How low can you go?

Great, now I have six sore fingers instead of four. I do really enjoy bass though, it’s much easier to feel like you’re part of the song rather than strangling lead guitar.

I told myself I’d take a day off to heal my fingers, but you know, one rehearsal . . .

An hour later I’m embroiled in my first bass event, three songs and an encore! And I get through pretty damned well despite my fingertips going numb. It still throws me when I’m just getting the groove down on a section and they throw in new notes, it’s like an RTS that never gives you a pub-stomp level of awesomeness before introducing the next hard thing. Dammit I want to rock the fuck out without self-doubt!

Rocksmith is in the 5th place in the top sellers charts on steam. I wonder if people realize they need a cable and guitar for this.

It’s weird, I was telling a guy at work about it, and he got really excited. I tried explaining the whole system to him (he only had an acoustic) and by the time we were done he had bought the game on his phone despite not having an instrument with which to play it. If Ubi would get of their asses and license a lot more songs for this thing, it would be a smash hit.

I really wish they would let me use my real guitar interface, instead of the lag-ridden cable.

side post from the bargain thread:

Rocksmith is down to $38 for the full package from Amazon (game + cable.) That’s from $60 last week, when I bought it. :-(

FWIW, it’s everything I was hoping, and more. I’ve learned songs, been forced to play through mistakes, and suddenly can play a little bass, all in a few days. It’s not a end-to-end learning solution but it’s one of the best motivational tools I’ve ever seen. For $40, if you’ve ever thought about learning to play guitar (and have a guitar or can rent one locally, usually $15/month or so) then it’s well worth the money.

Looking at Amazon, I think it’s only the PS3 version that is $38.

I’m still on the fence about picking up Rocksmith. I already know how to play guitar, so the learning tool aspect isn’t really a selling point for me. It might be fun to screw around with and learn some new songs, but the songs that come with the game don’t much impress me. Anyone playing this who already plays guitar - is it fun for more than a few days?

I just realized I asked that same question back when the game was released. I guess I’m wondering if the game has any lasting value for guitar players, and if they fixed the early issues with the game, such as where you are forced to play each song on the easiest difficulty.

I think it could be painful for experienced guitar players given how you need to level up each song.

True, though you can circumvent that by going into riff repeater, setting it to maximum, and knocking it out. That carries over into the full song, if I understand it correctly. I would think the color/ladder scheme would be worse for experienced guitarists, who I’m sure would prefer tabulature.

You’re right, though I was right as well, I double checked that this morning. They changed it literally two hours ago.

Update from Mouselock:

You can still get the $38 price. Click on Rocksmith Guitar and Bass, select PC, then over to the right there should be Other Seller: Amazon with the good price. If you want it I’d throw it in there and check out in a hurry.

So my wife, for reasons unknown, bought me a guitar and Rocksmith for Christmas. I’ve never so much as picked up a guitar before. Is Rocksmith a good learning tool, or should I take some form of introductory lessons before firing it up?

This was me last Christmas (well my brother bought it but still).

Take a look at Justin Guitar’s beginner course. Rocksmith won’t teach you how to hold the thing or other basic stuff. I watched the first few Justin videos and then jumped into Rocksmith.

A year later I’m a terrible guitar player - but I can play guitar.

A little.

Thanks! I’ll check out the link tonight.

Never knew I wanted to learn to play guitar, but now that I have the thing I really want to give it a go. Sounds like patience will be important.

Just did this and it worked! Thanks for the head’s up!

$40 was my magic price for eventually picking this up so this is absolutely perfect.

God, I hope Rocksmith has a long lucrative “tail” and lots of backend popularity, just so those of us that bought this thing out of the gate get the DLC we deserve :)

I´ve stumbled upon this guitar course on coursera:

[i]About the Course
For students who have long thought about picking up the acoustic or electric guitar, this course will provide an easy-access foundation that will get you playing. When first learning guitar, it is important to have the material presented in stages, in an enjoyable way that allows you to grasp the basics of the instrument and music. The course begins simply with the parts of the guitar, the names of the strings, tuning, and technique—whether finger-style or pick. It then explores the basics of music theory with such topics as scales, triads, power chords, and fingering and shapes.

At the end of this course, students will understand the structure, parts, and accessories of the instrument, in addition to an understanding of its basic maintenance. Electric guitar players will learn the operation of their instrument along with basic options for amplification, effect pedals, and sounds. Students will also learn to develop correct technique and apply theory concepts to their playing. They will have the foundational knowledge necessary to pursue most intermediate guitar courses. [/i]

So in short, a 101 on guitars.

Oh, and btw, the new dlc hint is up: Sant…

Nice, I’ll buys me some Santana.