Rocksmith

Are the songs in Rocksmith instrumental tracks only? I don’t think they are the vocal songs one can buy on iTunes, are they?

They are exactly like this:

I hope this answers your question.

So they are the real songs. Still, much pricier than iTunes.

Thanks,

I’m pleasantly surprised. I think they hit this out of the park compared to what Harmonix did with Pro Guitar in Rock Band 3 - the interface is just substantially more intuitive and it captures that most basic feedback loop where you actually can hear what you’re doing as you’re doing it - because of the way the RB3 Strat works you basically have to mute the strings to get it to detect strums properly which sadly defeats the purpose of “playing real guitar” with the game.

I really had low expectations when this was originally announced - I figured it would be a lame copycat trying to grasp at whatever was left of the music game genre. But it really isn’t - it sets out to do what they say they’re trying to do and stands on its own. I was also skeptical that their hardware tech would really work, but it’s a hell of a lot better solution than Harmonix came up with. I really want this method of Pro Guitar/Bass blended with all the things that RB3 nails (Drums, Keys, Harmonies, song library, and DLC).

I wish I could get the lag to near 0 on the game. It’s pretty good, but not perfect. If only they’d just let me use ASIO devices it’d go from good to great.

All right, I can confirm that this thing is working. I’d slacked for a couple of days due to work and soreness, then tonight I picked it back up and went crazy. Suddenly I can go to a new song and have a decent shot at it, and the simpler ones I can almost 100k on the second attempt. That’s bass and chords/combo, not lead, but all the sudden the interface clicked for me and I can just PLAY rather than try to figure out what I’m seeing. Also, I’m doing the thing I was never able to do before, play a friggin’ song. I could do chords and scales all day with zero fun but my perfectionist streak wouldn’t let me just play a song because I would get hung up on the first phrase until I had it perfectly. God I hope they get more content.

I’m still in love. I don’t know if I can go back to guitar because it’s so freakin’ satisfying to actually be playing a song all the way through, all the notes, correctly! (mostly). Bass just suits me right now, I think I’m going to stick to it until I have the guts to play in public somewhere. The best thing is that I can go in and start playing songs, and as long as I have the willpower to hit Enter on the “Play Event” recommendation, then I’m stuck with another 3-6 songs of practice because I won’t bail out on the event. Fingers sore with awesome!

JustinGuitar is eating up all my guitar time. Meaty bass fingers do me no favors in guitar chords. It’s not a matter of strength – long years of bass make even F barres easy – it’s just getting all those skinny strings to ring clear thru my fat fingers :-)

I’m the opposite, Why U Frets so far? Triggercut mentioned that his Vox bass has close frets, but I don’t even understand how that can be possible unless the total distance of bridge to nut changes.

A month in and I have 20 hours played in Rocksmith. I’ve missed maybe five days this month, otherwise I pick it up and at least play ten minutes, some nights it turns in to an hour or more. My Squier came in today and while it definitely needs some work I do like the assertive tone and narrow neck. If my guitarsmith friend can get the action down a bit it’s a winner.

As for how the game is working, I can’t say enough good things about it. I can literally play real honest to God songs now. Two or three, nearly perfect, all the way through. I know that doesn’t sound like much but it’s pretty huge for me. I am also going back to songs that I abandoned two weeks ago and I can now zip right through them, so there are meta skills being developed as well, not just monkey repetition on certain songs.

Wow and good for you!

Do you have previous experience with guitar tab or sheet music? One of the problems I have with rocksmith is that its notation is so different from what I’m used to that I feel like I’m having to learn something artificial that doesn’t make sense otherwise.

Somehow wish it was more like tab…

Diego

I have the same problem with the notation. I’ve been learning with tab and memorizing numbers long enough now that the game notation is foreign. Even if I flip it upside down to be more tab-like it still doesn’t help. My brain doesn’t map the colors to strings very well either. Give me a regular tab view & better lag control, and it’d be perfect.

I took lessons for a year or so once, I was very, very good with theory and very, very bad with actual playing. This game is the exact opposite, no theory at all but you have to keep playing no matter what. The main trick I’ve learned for myself is relaxing in the middle of a trainwreck; a lot of times my brain will jump back into gear and pull out of the dive. That, and just not sweating it when I can’t play something. Move away, go to another song, come back next week. It really helps to have a go-to song you can play whenever you feel like it, kind of a palate cleanser after trying something new and difficult.

I’d estimate it took about a week for the notation to really click for me to where I don’t get distracted. After three weeks I was able to recognize phrases well enough that I could glance down at the fretboard and not miss them. I still get lost on the neck from time to time (all the time) but the important thing is that I move on instead of stalling out on a phrase.

So I just came across this site today: www.guitarbots.com

It’s a web based interactive guitar learning site written with the Unity engine. Much more geared towards learning than playing songs, and expensive ($9.99). But it’s still worth checking out - you get 5 minutes per day for free. Compatible with any inputs on your machine (including my Line 6 device, yay) and seems lag free with such connections.

Just got a fat pack of this from amazon, game plus guitar. If you zero experience with playing music I could see it being rough but three hours later I am in love. The greatest benefit is that it makes you keep playing, my fingers hurt.

Looks like a sequel announcement may be incoming at E3:

LONDON, UK — June 4 th, 2013 — Today, Ubisoft announced that a new national study by the Research Strategy Group, has found that Rocksmith is the fastest way to learn how to play the guitar. The study was conducted with hundreds of participants across greater New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, and Dallas.

The new research supports earlier findings from a consumer survey by Toluna Group, that reported 95% of Rocksmith players say it improved their guitar skills.

“We’re thrilled with the results,” said Tony Key, US senior vice president of sales and marketing at Ubisoft. “These studies confirm our view that Rocksmith is a huge success at teaching players real guitar skills that are highly effective, enjoyable, and will last them a lifetime.”

Ubisoft also revealed that the Rocksmith series has sold 1.4 million copies worldwide since its initial release in October 2011. An additional 3 million songs have been downloaded from the title’s library of 143 DLC tracks. Altogether, players have played an estimated 112 billion notes and developed an estimated 1.6 million blisters on their fingers!

Stay tuned for exciting Rocksmith news to be revealed at Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) 2013.

I so need to reinstall this and play some of the songs I downloaded again. Too much other garbage demanding my attention.

Yay new Rocksmith 2014 in oktober!! New session mode, menu improvements, 50 new dlc, new tehniques, transferable dlc etc…

Revealed dlc:
Aerosmith - Walk This Way
Alice In Chains - Stone
Bob Dylan - Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door
B’z - Ultra Soul
Oasis - Don’t Look Back In Anger
The Smashing Pumpkins - The Chimera

and another Pumpkins for preorders. I think it’s Cherub Rock.

I saw them demo the new Session Mode on Gamespot’s E3 stream and it looked quite impressive.

They’ve also revamped the riff repeater so you can apparently now access it on the fly during a song and set your own timeframe to practice. Which has been my most wanted improvement.

Can you play different scales and such and do they teach you a little theory so you can jump right in?