Sacred 2 questions-

Sorry, for some reason the search couldn’t find any threads with “Sacred”… so I started a new one.

Anyhow, I don’t understand what these little round “runes” or whatever they are called actually do. Lots of enemies drop them, and they say things like “adds 2.5% to melee attacks”. I click on them to use them, they disappear, giving no indication of what actually happened. Are these temporary boosts? Are the permanent? Am I supposed to put them on weapons?

I think the ones you’re referring to are the ones that go into the lower left corner of the screen, where the ‘racial/god’ power is. There are series of slots around the ring and you can keep filling them in and rotating the ring around.

Either that or they’re the skill runes. Skill runes just boost the respective skill one level.

Also, see here…
http://www.sacredwiki.org/index.php5/Sacred_2:Runes

Ah, that last link was definitely helpful. Funny how the manual does nothing to explain what these are and how they work… and in the tutorial it just tells you to use it without explaining why.

It’s a German game. That’s how the Germans roll.

-Tom

Blitzkrieg!

Ok, another dumb question-

I’m trying to finish out all the quests around the first town, and I have one left… I think it’s called “Tutorial Rune” Something or other.

I go into a cave, and I kill some rats. Then I come to a locked door. I don’t have the key to this door, and I have absolutely no idea how I’m supposed to get it… I can’t find it anywhere in the cave the door is in.

Any ideas?

Don’t. There are literally hundreds of side quests and it really makes no sense to try to do them all. Just move on.

My only question- when does this come out on the 360? I’ve been playing the KUF lootwhoring game, but it’s just not scratching that itch.

What’s the incentive to play on in this game?
I’m under the impression that the story takes the backseat, with countless mostly meaningless side-quests which are of the simplest varieties (kill x monsters, go fetch y, visit z to get a new quest) and not interesting in any way. But the collecting-factor seems to also take the backseat, with countless absolutely meaningless drops, no exciting and/or meaningful item modifiers to be had even from unique or set items, a horrible drop-rate (even worse than vanilla TQs) meaning you literally never find anything useful and combat which is click-click-click - not necessarily a downside, but not a real alternative incentive in this game, either.
What does keep people interested in this game?

rezaf

You get to kill stuff. A lot of stuff. Killing stuff is fun. Why do people usually play games?

I have my own question: many weapons have a modifier listed, like “sword weapons” or “pole arms”, that corresponds to the name of a skill your character can take. Does this mean that if you have the sword weapons skill, you only get the bonus from that skill if the weapon has that modifier listed and not from all sword weapons? Because I have the “magic staffs” skill on my Inquisitor and I have never once seen it listed as a modifier. Except for the skill screen, I have never seen that phrase in the game. Am I actually getting any benefit from this skill or what?

Rezaf, it’s mostly a pure level n’ loot game. The incentive is to build up a powerful character, and the character development system is really good. Plus, as BJB pointed out, there’s a lot of gratifying hack n’ slash on the way. Also, the drops aren’t going to be as interesting when you’re lower level. That’s just the way of an action RPG. But I think Sacred 2 might be even more limited in that you need to play up into the gold and platinum levels to really get the good loot. And that’s not going to happen until you’re level 30 or so. BTW, that’s also where the game starts to get a lot more challenging.

Bob, some items give you a bonus if you have a certain skill. You only get the bonus if you have that skill. Above and beyond that, the weaponry skills give you global bonuses that should be listed in the tooltip.

-Tom

This is easy to fix if you are playing off-line. You just have to modify some values in a text file. If you are into that sort of thing…
click,click,click.

I wouldn’t say that any action RPG doesn’t have interesting loot for low level characters.
In Diablo, almost everything was meaningful right from the start. Ok, let’s say from very early on.
You could get an axe that swings faster than usual axes, you could get an armor that would boost a stat in a significant way, you could get a sword that leeched life from opponents or a shield that would reflect damage back to them … stuff like that.
Sure, later on, stuff got even more exciting in a variety of ways too keep things rolling, but in the essence, it WAS meaningful right away.

In Sacred2 … I might have a Level 1 ring that raises the riding skill by one point, and a level 18 ring that raises the riding skill by one point. Maybe it’s just me, but I feel a certain lack of progression there.
Also, a legendary sword which does SLIGHTLY (let’s say 20%) more damage than any other sword you might find - even mundanes - seems slightly disappointing to me.
The boni socketing etc. gives just seem so utterly worthless.
+2.5% poison damage. Wow.

About there being tons of stuff to kill … there sure is. But I’ve never been too excited about that prospect in diablolikes. It’s part of the deal, but it’s not what keeps me going. And here, with the wide areas of constantly respawning waves and waves and waves of enemies that never drop anything interesting anyway and are all disposed of in the same way, I can’t say it excites me in any way.

rezaf

Have they fixed most of the bugs in this one? I like mindless hack and slash, level/loot games, but I don’t want frustration from bugs.

I know all the different colors of text are supposed to be helpful, but they’re all still pretty bewildering to me. I’ve been assuming something in red text means it doesn’t apply to me. I still have a hard time remembering a yellow quality item is better than a blue one, too.

I’d say the problem with loot in Sacred 2 was that there just wasn’t enough variety in it, although there were many different types of armor and weapons, and also that some of the best suffix/prefix combos were not necessarily on the highest grade equipment - i have several blue (above average) pieces with +3 all skill level modifiers, much better than anything that a yellow or gold piece yielded.

Yea, the socketing thing i never quite got the handle on because it seemed so… sideways. Instead of adding damage, it converted damage to a different element.

Not sure. The last time I played it was just prior to New Years for a few days. At that time, the game was, curiously enough, quite playable when hosting a game for 2 people, but slowed annoyingly when the same machine that was acting as both client and server was just used to play solo.

This was on an uber_powered gaming PC, too. (I know…wierd).

There were some other icky install issues when it came to the patches. Those could be got around- but they were damned aggravating to the unsuspecting.

There was also a Creative sound bug. Turns out, this affected me as I have a set of Wireless headphones that also loaded some unpleasant Creative Labs driver that caused the video to go blank. There was a command line parameter switch to deal with that so it could be stickhandled around.

So yeah. Some barricades on the road, but no unscaleable walls in terms of bugs as at Jan 1, 2009. I’ve not been back to look since.

I played the game and - for the most part - enjoyed it. Not addicting, but still great fun. I got sidetracked by some other games in early January (Valkyria Chronicles, principally) and figured Sacred 2 would get patched in the meanwhile so it would be all good when I got back to it.

I still hope that to be the case. We’ll see.

Aren’t you looking at D2 with rose-coloured glasses here?
D2 had as much unusable loot as TQ IMO, and it got worse with expansions and patches because there are so many pre- and suffixes and modifiers that actually getting a good item was/is extremely hard.

The one noticable difference in loot is that in D2 certain otherwise unusable loot still fetches a very high gold price.