Saints Row 3

I feel bad. As soon as I got into the game and had a crib, I pulled out the tank and went on a rampage. Managed to get to level 15 or so before I decided to actually do a mission. Felt kind of cheesy.

My one suggestion for pimping cars is to not go all-out on the reinforced bumper stat. Upgrade it once, perhaps, but not to full, because what it ultimately does is cause cars you hit to explode which much more quickly destroys your own ride.

Can you put one of those swat tanks in your garage? I only got one during the special mission where you get the VTOL, but after that I haven’t found one anywhere and they never bring them out when blowing up their trucks.

There is some assassination mission where you need to kill some guy after killing some HOs and then really pissing off morning star. I haven’t been able to do this yet. I can’t tell HOs from regular chicks (or they are just rare spawns) and I end up with the swat army after me with just and morning star will only go up to 3 stars for some reason. I figured I could go crazy in one of those tanks to really push things to the limit.

One of my favorite vehicles is the swat truck with the machine gun on top. I just like to drive around in it shooting the shit out of everything. Killing a police chopper with it is particularly satisfying.

I can’t think of a single vehicle in the game that you can drive that you can’t put into a garage or heliport somewhere. If you can successfully hijack a tank right next to one of your garages, it’s trivial to drive it in the door and stash it, and from that point on you get infinite tanks at your leisure.

You may have to progress to a certain point in the game before you can build the notoriety to get tanks sent after you, though. It’s been a while since I played through it but I recall notoriety being capped in the early game and gradually lifting the limit as you make progress.

Don’t worry about it too much as you’ll inevitably have an opportunity to get your hands on just about anything you can imagine at some point in the game. You might just have to wait a little longer if you haven’t made a huge amount of progress yet.

I don’t remember, but I think you can get a bulldog with a machine gun turret pretty much from the start of the game.

I tried bringing a tank from a mayhem mission into my garage but was told “can’t access this area at this time” or somesuch. But yeah, the Bulldog is sent after you early on, once you’ve pissed the police off enough.

I got the bulldog, but that isn’t a proper tank. I did get the Homie Tank thing, but I am not sure how to use it. Someone drove a tank up when I called them, but I couldn’t get into it. Then when combat started, the tank just sat there and did nothing.

I’m not sure if I missed it in the game, but is the goal of the game to finish the campaign / story missions, or am I supposed to be trying to get control of each area of the city? I have to say I’m enjoying the dialog and over the top craziness. I’m not a fan of GTA. I find GTA repetitive and pretty boring. I don’t get a kick out of over the top violence just for the sake of it, but in the context of the Saints Row 3 story it is pretty enjoyable. I love the guy who speaks through his tracheotomy hole into his cane.

Those goals overlap to some extent. City takeover is there for your enjoyment (and it gives you benefits by way of rewards, respect, and cash) but the campaign is there to provide context and an over arcing narrative.

In short - do whatever you like. Beat the missions and you get ending credits but that’s hardly game over.

Eh, it’s sorta game-over. I don’t think this game has particularly good AI for the world activities. The quality in gameplay of the story missions far outclasses any of the other activities you can partake in.

Thanks for the replies. I tend to get bored with the generic activities in this type of game - I’m looking at you Just Cause 2 - so I’ll focus on the story missions and play the other stuff if I feel like it at the end.

I finally got my police hate up enough that they brought a tank to kill me. Of course I jacked the tank. Then i got it in my garage.

The Challenger it’s called. Sometimes I just go out an mess shit up. It’s a game breaker. Why should I run missions with a crappy car when I can drive my tank anywhere and kill everything?

The Genki DLC missions suck, trying to drive him around and he just gets pissed at everything I do, and I fail the mission… though I did like the yarn ball destruction mission, was good for at least 1 try.

I still have the 2 other DLCs to try this week. I heard they were much better.

This is true to an extent far far greater than is usual for sandboxy games. In GTA and Just Cause and the like, the missions are often just the same drivey-shooty gameplay with a specific person you’re supposed to kill. SR3’s missions are very often unique gameplay elements, unique areas that are only used for that mission, etc.

SR3 is far more of a action game with a sandbox wrapper, as opposed to something like Mercenaries 2 where there is nothing you do in a mission that you couldn’t do outside of that mission for just less reward.

Woohoo, free weekend on Steam. Now I can try this to see how I like these games. I haven’t played a third person open world GTA clone thing since Red Faction: Guerrilla, which I thought was okay but ultimately unsatisfying.

Holy crap… someone who hasn’t bought SR3 by now, regardless of the 9,000 sales it’s been on since release.

GIMME A CAMERA THIS IS GOING ON REDDIT

Eh. Not really my thing. Uninstalled.

Lame - how far did you even get?

If you’re looking for a gta alike set in modern days that is completely serious, you’re not going to like this game. Same goes if you’re looking for a typical open world game with absolutely no main story.

SR3 does have a bit more of a story component than most open world games. It is also tongue in cheek, most of the time. Everything is over the top.

I was personally hooked at the start when they reenacted a certain scene from Eraser.