Saints Row 3

Only a couple hours. Zero interest. I can’t envision myself playing through it.

I don’t think I’m looking for either.

Well, if you don’t like gta 'ish gameplay (the only way i can think to explain the genre) or open world games, you obviously won’t like this.

I was hooked when they gave me a four-foot dildo as my starting weapon.

Hmph. Saint’s Row 3 ain’t the game its immediate predecessor was, but it ain’t no chopped liver, either.

I thinking the best open-world middle ground between GTA IV’s po-face and SR’s wackiness is probably Sleeping Dogs. And it’s a lot more linear than both, which can be a plus.

I always suspected Tim James hates fun.

-Tom

You might be on to something!

Maybe I can just watch a Lets Play so I don’t have to play it…

Wow, if you didn’t have any “fuck yeah” moments in the first few opening set pieces in SR3, then you may actually be immune to that kind of fun. I thought that was the best first hour of any game in the last few years.

S it this one or 2 where you break out of prison in the beginning? I always thought that was a great way to explain the “no money, no weapons” thing common to these games.

That was 2. SR3 starts with you as celebrities but casts you into an unfamiliar town with all your accounts hacked.

It’s not exactly a game conducive to a LP format I think. Some of the story missions are pretty fun, yeah, but a lot of the game is in the unstructured stuff hanging around. What other game has a mini-game for jumping on top of a moving car and staying there?

Or how about the sequence:
Hmm, there’s a challenge for robbing 15 stores. Huh, didn’t know you could do that. How do you do that? Right-click aims gun at cashier. Ah, that’s how you do that. Immediate 3-police rating. Grabs the fastest car out of the nearest garage. Proceeds with a cross-town robbery spree, not pausing more than the 5 seconds or so for each hold-up while being chased by police cars, SWAT, and helicopters. Hmm, getting bored. Might as well grab an attack helicopter out of the military while my police rating is high anyway. Flies it back to the crib to storage. Hmm, such a shame that chopper wasn’t used. Proceeds to camp the streets with its mini-gun and rockets. Oh oh oh a tank showed up. Sweet! Jumps out of helicopter and shotguns the top-gunner out, then hijacks the tank. Get a call (random event) for a survival wave event. Perfect timing. Trundles over to the event. Finally gets overwhelmed to waves of the existing police and tanks, and the piles of brutes that showed up.

Yeah, that’s nothing you really get anywhere else.

It is so strange to even me how certain weird technical details really turn me off a game. For example, if a game doesn’t support 1280x1024 and other 4:3 ratio or 5:4 ratio monitors, I instantly think “bad PC port” and am immediately going in biased, already rooting against the game and it has an uphill battle trying to win me back.

Red Faction Armageddon is a good PC port. It supports my monitor’s resolution and there are never black bars on the top and bottom. Saints Row 3, which I fired up for the first time the other night, also supports the correct resolution and full screen gaming during gameplay. Unfortunately during the cutscenes, it has HUGE black bars on the top and bottom so that less than half the screen is used and it is sooooo off putting, especially considering how cutscene heavy the beginning of the game is. And now it has a hard road in trying to win me back.

Don’t pretty much all recent games with cutscenes do this? Pretty much everything is targeted towards 16:9 now, and to restage a cutscene to 4:3 you’d either have to just cut off the sides and surely lose useful content, implement some custom pan and scan approach, or restage all the cutscenes for a 4:3 frame which would shock me if anyone actually did that now…

Also how GTA 3 started!

Saints Row 3 was a superb (in-house) port. Ran really nicely for me, no crashes or major bugs at all. Saint’s Row 2 (and I think Red Faction Guerrilla) was a really sloppy, poorly performing port by an external developer. It had CPU timing issues in Win7 as I recall, requiring a fan-made patch to correct it.

Red Faction Armageddon (also by Volition) handles cutscenes fine for the 4:3 monitors. I’m not sure how they handled it. Unfortunately the game itself (RF: A) isn’t very good.

Darn. Saints Row 3 overheats my video card after 5 minutes of play. Even when I set the fan to full speed. Damn it. Bought it for the wrong platform. Oh well. Maybe I’ll play it after I finish Saints Row 4 and 2.

Really, was the RF: Guerrilla port bad? Boo, I wish I’d known that before I picked it up during a Steam Sale.

It was a bad port but still a fun game. The port wasn’t “terrible” either.

Did not have this problem.game worked great for pc.

The Guerrilla port has a few technical issues but isn’t the trainwreck of a port SR2 was. (Though the Gentlemen of the Row mod for SR2 fixes quite a bit and it’s such a good game that it’s worth dealing with.)