Saints Row 3

I did not liked SR3 until I managed to complete the history with random people in coop. I imagine playing with friends would have been hilarious.
The city is boring. Much of it is like everything else, so theres not a great point to go anywhere. This is completelly different to (humm…) Carmagedoom. I think a city must have hidden secrets and fun things to fin. Not just icons and copy pasted activities.

But the history …woohoo… doing it in coop is a great train ride. The other human add a lot of uncertainbility, helps with finding where to go, and reduce the grind when theres just too much to do.

miscellanea opinion, read only if you are really bored

After playing Burnout Paradise and Driver San Francisco, I am now convinced that USA cities are a wrong mach for this genre, or any vehicle related genre. USA cities can be mindfucking boring and a hellhole of repetitive same-ishms.

video is not related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtWkewqIFDM

Heres a bridge from my city:

Another bridge of mi city:

This one is from Paris:

This one … I don’t know, but is also fucking cool:

My point is not that USA cities don’t have cool things, but that the variety of these things is very limited. All cities are the same city and in the same way. Maybe I am wrong? maybe, but I feel this way.

What video game has those cool bridges in it? The US has plenty of cool architecture (and plenty of generic stuff), but judging a nation based on what shows up in video games is ludicrous.

I think is just a opinion about a setting “USA city”. I find most implementations of that setting tedious and repetitive. I think a sandbox game needs more variety. I don’t know how artist can inyect it, but USA dont seems to inspire them to make something good.

Check out Getaway 1 & 2 on the PS2 - Set in Swinging London.

Hahahah. Yes. Getaway was amazing in recreating London, and how tedious and repetitive it is in real life, with the same flat over and over and over again.

Teiman, if you want to see a city done poorly, play Driver San Francisco. It’s the poorest recreation of San Francisco I’ve seen in a video game. New York and San Francisco are probably the two most unique cities in the U.S., and some games can make even those cities feel generic and repetitive.

For a really good take on NYC, check out GTA IV’s Liberty City. Now they do an incredible job of showing off NYC, including its unique bridges.

And I think the upcoming Watch Dogs will do a much better job of showing off Chicago than any of the Saints Row games, which are loosely based on Chicago but end up being fairly generic looking instead.

I must absolutely agree with your comment. Another game that I find that make a city looks varied is Prototype. You are to busy being a living human virus to notice it much, but still the city is cool enough to travel to check the different areas. Too bad the city level of detail is very low.

checks youtube

Wow… looks like a old game with a lot of love for detail. Why I have never heard of this game before?

Hear hear about the generic look of San Francisco in Driver: San Francisco. San Fierro in GTA: San Andreas had a ton more character.

Teiman; Shame you missed out on it, Great game. I believe it had 16 missions or so, the first 8 you play as a copper, and then the last 8 you play as a criminal doing the same missions from the other angle – or approximately something like that.

Getaway 2 was also quite good and a nice upgrade from the first one. Good storyline/voice acting as well in both.

Saints Row 3 remastered has a catch? What’s the catch?

30fps even on new hardware.

Why did the game need a remaster anyway? So it can have all the latest pretties from fancy RTX cards at 4k resolutions?

Except for the PC Master Race

Nice! SR3 was on my “replay” list.

I definitely keep meaning to get further in Saints Row 3, but I have a tough time getting into it since I played and finish Saints Row 4 first, and I just love the fourth game so much. It will help to have part 3 look prettier next time I try to get into it.

SR3 was pretty fun, but this remaster is overpriced and EGS only.
Kinda funny that Tim pays for exclusivity of 9 year old game.

Digital Foundry is impressed.

Nice, looks like the one time where the ‘Remastered’ is true, and not just ‘slap a new paint on it and let the UI scale to 1080’.

This the one that is exclusive to EGS?

Not sure how I feel about making the hair, skins tones and faces more photo-realistic. I appreciate the work that went into it all, but I kind of associated Saints Row 3 & 4 with a more stylized aesthetic compared to Rockstar’s GTA 4 & 5.

So initially it feels like it’s taking away some of the charm or character of the game to me. I might change my mind after some time with the new and updated visuals though.

Watching the full DF video I think they felt like it still stayed true to the stylized look, but obviously if you’re looking at it and don’t like it for yourself, that’s fair.