Shadow Warrior 2

Yes, I’m only about 33% done with the story and I just jumped right in. The starting point is at the mountain village behind the ninja guys shop.

Perfect, thank you!

Wait, how do you get there? I may not be far enough into the story. Only about 2 or 3 hours.

So, I’m loving the game, mostly. It’s silly fun. But a couple of things are hanging me up. Mostly the load times. It can sometimes take 5-10 minutes to get into an area. Seems worse when I start up but I’m not sure. The other thing is the upgrades. I love that there is so much variety, but I seem to feel the need to change up my loadout before each mission. Maybe I’m just compulsive that way. But between that and the load times, I don’t seem to spend much time in the actual chopping and blowing shit up portion of the game, which is where it shines, of course.

Also the difficulty is uneven. I tried it on the third difficulty, but was getting killed all the time, which affects the ability to level up. But the normal difficulty doesn’t present much of a challenge.

There’s a bug that sometimes causes the game to keep showing the loading bar even when loading is actually complete. So when the bar fills, try pressing any input every once in a while, even if it hasn’t shown “press something” yet.

More free stuff coming today:

It’s on sale on Steam for $30 again. Man I wish it would get to the <= $20 mark.

I’m waiting for $12.50, because of my reaction to Shadow Warrior. Not the original, but the remake by these developers.

While I’m waiting for Shadow Warrior 2 to hit my buy price I’ve been sporadically playing Shadow Warrior 2013. While the game itself is decent the levels are really repetitive and keep throwing the same type of things at me for longer than I’d like. Is this aspect improved in Shadow Warrior 2?

This is the game Doom wanted to be.

This is a pretty differnt game, actually.

Levels are typically large areas which you will revisit in different missions. Things about the levels will change when you revisit although it will still pretty clearly feel like the level in question. Each of these areas is very open and you can meander about them as you like, doing the mission or just slaughtering things at random. Or both. There is loot collection, nothing on the level of Borderlands mind. But there are weapons drops as well as the upgrade items for each weapons (essentially little doodads you can slot into a weapon which alter its stats and potentially modify behavior like e.g. converting some of the damage from physical to an element). And that’s to say nothing of the upgrade card drops (you spend skill points to upgrade these; most are passive cards but there’s one for each of the classic Shadowwarrior 2013 abilities as well as the ultimate ability). You level by killing and doing quests and some quest rewards give skill points to boot. There are repeatable random missions as well as story missions.

I found Shado Warrior 2 super fun and recommend it.

While i think the game is overall fun, i was not a fan of the changes made to it from the previous one personally.

More specifically, if Robc04 did not like the previous one because he thought it was too repetitive in both level design and enemies, he will probably not be happy with the second one which makes these aspects significantly worse.

For better and worse shadow warrior 2 uses what i can only assume are (semi) randomly generated maps that are very repetitive and same’y.

So in short, to answer robc04’s question in this fantastic thread necro that i am taking advantage of as well, No, Shadow warrior 2 does not improve the aspects you talk about and in fact makes them worse.

I thought Shadow Warrior 1 was pretty repetitive, but I didn’t feel the same about Shadow Warrior 2 at all. So YMMV.

Well, objectively the game is reusing map sections to create its levels. I forget the exact words the developer used but it was something like semi random levels. So you’re going to see the same areas over and over again. Even in early game you will do the same sections multiple times.

Whether you consider that repetitive is a matter of opinion i suppose. Whether you enjoy the game even though the levels are repetitive is a completely different issue. I would say i enjoyed diablo 3 for example even though the levels were HUGELY repetitive.

I’m pretty sure I will pick this up at some point. If it is the reveal game for a humble monthly I’ll jump all over it. I’m trying to temper my eagerness to buy every game I want this year and prioritize things. So far my monthly spending average is half of last year’s, so I’m pretty happy so far. If I buy this cheap enough I won’t feel bad if I end up getting tired of it and only partially play it. If it keeps my interest the entire time it will be a bonus!

This is finally out on the PS4 now as well, and I am REALLY enjoying it, which is a surprise to me, because I was kinda wary of the juvenile dialogue.

So far, its great! And the dialogue isn’t so bad that its offensive to a prudish Dane like me, so all in all, VERY happy with the purchase !

So you were able to take a whole lot of Wang without issue? Nice! :)

I added this game to my wishlist for the third time because of this comment, but Vanquish is making me realize how bored I am of shooters.

You could’ve told me this before I played Doom.

Sorry for the aside, but do Danes have the reputation of being prudes?

Based on my observing Danish tourists in the bars of Chania, Crete over a period of two years, I would say “Quite the opposite in fact” :)

Haha! Yeah, my sample size is very small, but the one Danish family I know is about as far away as prudish as you can get. Of course, they’re living in the US, so maybe Denmark just exiles those who don’t conform to their prudish ways?? :)

Either way, now I need to know. @Razgon, you’re my only hope!