Shadow Warrior 2

Nah, not really - I just react with knee-jerk prudeness whenever I hear f*ck and other kind of rudeness in games - I think it comes from being oldfashioned and raised to be a proper person at all times.

My fellow Danes are crazy though, and have very little modesty or prudeness, which is a constant source of agony for me:-D

Now that conforms to my anecdotal experiences with Danes. :) But I mean that in the best possible way.

Today I just finished Shadow Warrior 2013. I liked the game play enough, but it felt like there was too much of it. Steam says I played for 15 hours, but it felt much longer. There wasn’t enough enemy variety and the locations felt too similar. I’ve felt that was about several games lately, such as Space Marine.

Yeah, I felt the same by the end. It kind of overstays its welcome. Funnily enough, I didn’t feel like that at all with Shadow Warrior 2. Go figure.

Also, the story in Shadow Warrior 2013 was a lot better than I expected. The way it ends was a lot more poignant than I was able to anticipate. Storywise, Shadow Warrior 2 doesn’t come close in any way, but it doesn’t need to, really. :)

Agreed. I was surprised.

I saw this is finally on sale for >50% off. Was it as good as the first? I recall Tom really liking it.

It’s certainly good. The environments get a bit repetitive later on I thought, but I enjoyed it.

Almost as good as the first. Unfortunately it is not quite as directed and I missed Hoji, but it is still funny and action is still brilliant. I do recommend it, but wish they went a bit different direction with it.

If you want to get hyped for it, watch this vid

It sure is pretty nice looking If it had been this price 6 months ago I think i would have snatched it up. There is other stuff I rather play now that I already own and it’s only going to get cheaper.

Yeah, they missed their sale window somehow. I was looking forward to it since Tom loved it so much, but now that excitement has dissipated. Phew. My wallet backlog thanks you, publisher of Shadow Warrior 2.

It’s a fine shooter, and if you love watching numbers go up and skinner box design like Tom you definitely want to pick this up, but I’d put it below the first game because at the end of that one I unexpectedly gave a shit about what was happening, and in this one I didn’t.

I also concur that the first game was better.
My personal reason for feeling that way is strictly because the first game I thought felt more true to the feeling of playing an updated version of the original (1997) game, which I adored. Particularly with regard to the level design.

I did quite enjoy the second one as well, but never finished it.

For me, the first is better story-wise, but in terms of gameplay Shadow Warrior 2 is much better for me. I loved every minute of it, and I’ll replay it every once in a while, which is something I rarely do. ;)

This is free on GOG right now, for the next 48 hours. Grab it!!!

Geez, that is awfully generous of them. They spoil us. Not such an old game, what could be the motivation?

Celebrating 10th anniversary?
It’s not the first time GOG has been giving out awesome free games, although this one is probably the newest one.

Sorry for the bump, just stared playing this (thanks to GOG!). I’m on highest difficulty (No Pain No gain?) and I’d love to know which direction to take with the weapons - raw with crit chance/crit dmg or elemental? It feels like every second or third enemy has immunity or resist to a specific element. My favorites so far are pump action (Hauer) and the default revolver you get in the beginning, I think it’s called Devolver.

Also I’m curious about the usefulness of various powers on highest difficulty - I’ve already maxed out my chi regen which proved to be an excellent choice when I started a side mission and had to heal about 20 times in a row because I ran into two elites with elemental auras lol. Right now I’m looking at the spikes as a form of CC, or Vanish to get some breathing room, but I’m curious if anything else is worth investing in.

And a bonus question - should I be doing side missions as soon as they open or progress the story first? It feels like those side missions are tougher and I’m finding myself running out of ammo for my two main guns all the time.

I used these guides to help me when I played the game:

Not exactly because they’re high level, higher than I ever got, but to know what skills are useful, how to generally setup weapons, that sort of thing…

As for the side missions, the issue with not doing them is that some main missions lock you out of the side missions, but if I remember right, you can generally do the main missions first, the game should warn you when the main mission is going to keep you from doing your active side missions.

Uninstalled. What got to me in the end was the endless barrage of small incremental upgrade modules and the terrible UI for slotting/comparison of said items. Most of the weapons also felt like plastic toys, severely lacking in the oomph department. Sadly this seems to be a common theme in first person shooters lately, the last one I played where weapons had any weight to them was Rage I think.

I did a play through, all the way to the end, it was fun enough. Not fun enough for me to keep repeating the same content while trying to get higher level gems though…