Smallville: The Series - worth it?

Only when he was taken over by his “Kal-El” personality. So, no.

If he’s not flying, how did he manage to catch the falling globe from the building at ground level and hoist it back to the top? He’s just not flying ‘with a cape’.

He jumped. He did say, “For a second there it almost felt like I was flying,” so he might have flown. But throughout the series he’s simply jumped when he’s needed to do something like that.

So this past weeks episode was amazing, finally the show went from “just ok” episode to episode, to MUST NOT MISS.

I don’t know if I’d go that far, but yes, they’re really starting to kick it up a few notches. Long overdue, if you ask me-- the “no flights/no tights” thing was a bad idea to begin with, and that’s only evidenced by how freaking cool it was to get a glimpse of Superman in action.

But seriously, nobody noticed Clark vanish from the throne? Isn’t the entire point of a throne to make you the center of everyone else’s attention?

Regarding the throne: Continuity and realism have never been Smallville’s strong point, or frankly, any part of Smallville whatsoever. That said, this last episode pulled heavily at my nostalgia strings…it was fun to see the younger versions of the characters, if only for a few moments.

However if that was Tom Welling’s “audition” for playing a movie version of Clark Kent…wow, not good.

I absolutely loved the most recent episode. It was heavy on nostalgia, but as someone who has seen every episode for ten years, I absolutely loved it. I really enjoyed seeing that glimpse of Superman’s future, especially his relationship with Lois. So far this season has been the best in years. They’re finally able to deliver on what I’ve wanted for quite a few seasons now and it’s awesome.

I will say Future Lois was probably Erica Durance’s best work as the character. But Welling was staggeringly bad as Future Clark.

I didn’t like the idea of Clark seeing his own future, like it’s some kind of template for how he’s going to lay out the next seven years: “Oh, I’m going to fly, I’m going to marry Lois, I’m going to wear that costume, I’m going to disguise my identity with glasses and a trenchcoat,” etc. None of that is going to happen organically…now he’s just checking off boxes on a to-do list. Rubbed me the wrong way.

It’s incredibly lame and lazy storytelling; glad this show is finally getting nixed. What a dumb way to show how your character is going to evolve. “Oh we’ll just SHOW YOU.”

— Alan

So Lois and Clark are finally on the same page, pretty good episode last week, didn’t really advance the overall story, just resolved the one issue that’s been beaten to death over the last 2 seasons.

You thought the episode where Lois was possessed by an Egyptian goddess to resurrect her lost lover being used as a clumsy allegory to Clark/Lois’ romantic entanglement was “pretty good”? In my mind, it stands next to the episode where Lana Lang got a tramp stamp and was possessed by a witch as the worst episode of Smallville ever. Wait, then there was the one with the “cute” little kid with superpowers, and the episode where they brought Pete back to product-place gum that gave people superpowers, and the one where Lana’s sorority sisters turned her into a vampire, and the meteorite villain of the week whose powers were controlling bees… god, there are just so many horrific Smallville episodes. Really the vast majority are totally unmitigated unforgivable shit. I’m more embarrassed to tell people I watch Smallville than Vampire Diaries.

Yeah, I watch that too. Really hot chicks on that show.

Oh there have been much worse episodes :p

I have no issue telling people I watch Smallville, as most don’t have a clue what its about other than the fact it has Superman in it ( which it doesn’t yet ).

There’s no way for me to be objective about Smallville this season. I’m finally getting the payoffs I’ve been wanting for years, so I’m all goofy and giddy. I also think Erica Durance is a fantastic Lois Lane and because she’s figured prominently in all of the episodes this season, I’ve been predisposed to enjoy them. The body snatching hook in the most recent episode is about as tired as it gets, but the ending was worth it. I absolutely loved Clark’s reveal that he was The Blur and Lois’ reaction to it.

Two points: it isn’t getting “nixed”, they are simply bringing the show to a planned end. As to how the characters are going to evolve - the whole Superman mythos isn’t exactly a secret. However, that aspect is essentially beyond the end of the series, and this was their method to complete the circle. Overly overt foreshadowing or an homage to its source material?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Say what you will about whether or not the story of the show has ever been adequately planned out, but Smallville isn’t being canceled. Welling said he was done after this year, thus, so is the show. If I recall correctly, Smallville could have ended after Season 8, but the CW wanted it back and made sure that happened, then again this year.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Yeah, he wants to concentrate on his Broadway production, says he misses the live stage.

hahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaha

When the final season notes from the word go that it is the final season, that’s a planned ending, not a cancellation (as in “nixed”). See 24’s final season if you want to laugh at “planned”.
;-)

Show is a guilty pleasure for me as well, but they’re really hitting the “first two and last two episodes are important, all middle episodes are one-off filler” method hard this season.