SNES CLASSIC EDITION

Been tinkering with this thing while I hand out candy tonight. I have to say these games don’t really hold up that well for the most part. That said, there is something fun about playing them on the original SNES controller.

Not sure it was worth the $80 I paid, but it is a nice bit of nostalgia.

Yeah, I kind of really hate scalpers. I understand having an extra one and selling it, but people going in to buy 5 and sell them online kind of suck.

Yep, scalpers are the worst. If no one bought their shit then it wouldn’t be a problem either.

Or maybe Nintendo could just produce a proper quantity.

April Fool’s is not until a few more months, bro.

Plus, you can send it to me. (PM for address.)

So far all my real playtime has been with Yoshi’s Island, and that game holds up excellently. The level design is mindblowing. So many ideas, and I’m still in world 2.

Its funny, because I had the same feeling with the NES classic, but I don’t think the same holds true for the SNES. While some of the arcade platformers feel a bit dated, many of the games still play really well. Hell, it is amazing to play these 16-bit games and realize how much modern indie games still draw from them. Plus, one of the best platformers ever made (Super Mario World), one of the best JRPGs ever made (FFIII), and one of the best Zelda games (Link to the Past) – all of which still are amazing experiences. Really happy with my purchase (and I paid >$100 for it here).

Sorry, returned the thing this morning.

How was Star Fox 2? Did you at least give that one a go? As the only new game in the collection, that one is the most fascinating to me.

Nah I didn’t bother with Starfox 2, Starfox 1 was pretty meh though.

Zelda was the only one I felt held up that I would want to play, but $80 for a Zelda box just didn’t seem worth it to me.

That said, if you are into retro gaming it really is cool to have the original controllers to use. I’m generally just kinda meh on retro and nostalgia wasn’t enough to make it worth it for me. Truthfully I’d rather just get a Switch if I want Nintendo games.

I wonder if Nintendo is planning a similar console with N64 games.

You and 99.9% of the rest of the world!

I bet an N64 classic must be in the works considering the insane success of these things.

It doesn’t seem like as good a fit for the simple model of the NES and SNES classic.

I don’t think the game library is quite as compelling, especially with all the big Rare hits presumably off limits due to licensing now. You could still pull a dozen or so games from Nintendo’s own games that would hold up, and there are some absolute classics in that smaller pool that would still make it worth it to some people even if it was only like, five games.

But on top of that, how do you handle four players? Does it ship with four controllers? N64 controllers are probably already a bit more expensive to manufacture than SNES or NES, no way you can put four of them in the box without crossing the $100 price point. But it would be a travesty to ship it without a way to play four player Mario Kart or Smash Brothers. So then you’re looking at selling controllers separately, which is another inventory hassle for Nintendo to manage, and another strike against the simple appeal of your nostalgia in a single inexpensive package.

I don’t think it’s impossible, but I think there are some big challenges to making an N64 classic a viable idea.

SNES should have had four players! I guess their answer was to just not do it.

N64 had some awesome games by the way, and they could easily fill one of these palm size machines with them.

Off the top of my head and some quick googling, let’s see.

Sure things:

1. Legend of Zelda
  2. Majora’s Mask
  3. Super Mario 64
  4. Mario Kart 64
  5. Smash Bros
  6. Star Fox 64
  7. 1080º Snowboarding
  8. Mario Party (pick one)
  9. Wave Race 64
  10. Paper Mario

Maybe?

1. Shadows of the Empire
  2. Turok
  3. Mario Golf
  4. Mario Tennis

What am I missing? Again, it’s not a bad lineup, but it’s a shrinking lineup for a potentially more expensive system.

Harvest Moon
Ogre Battles
Bomberman
Diddy Kong Racing (airplanes!)
Goldeneye (that game was huge at the time)
Pokemon Stadium
Yoshi’s Story (lil Sis fav)
Dr Mario

They might have some right’s issues for some of these, but it wasn’t all first party. And of course these are bigger games so they could probably get away with a few less than the smaller games from the older systems.

Good picks, but no way they get any Rare titles (Diddy Kong Racing, Goldeneye).

So yeah, we could probably get it up to 20 games, I’d forgotten a few.

I don’t know if the controllers would make it that much more expensive. I could see Nintendo charging 100 and including four controllers, and I think people wouldn’t even blink, especially if they sold it as a party in a box (which it would be).

I think Nintendo gets Diddy Kong Racing. They released it for the DS several years back. Probably not Goldeneye, though, which is a huge miss for the system.

Things like Ogre Battle 64 and the three Bomberman games would be huge gets, as they’re titles that fetch high aftermarket prices these days, but licensing on some of that stuff would be a nightmare - for example, who owns the rights to that specific Ogre Battle game, Atlus or Square Enix?

The bigger issue is emulation. N64 emulation is famously a dumpster fire, and I don’t know if Nintendo is up for putting the resources into getting those games running on a new box.