SNES CLASSIC EDITION

No. I think the only good RPG was Paper Mario?

Harvest Moon, Ogre Battle, and the Zeldas could count.

I’d buy a N64 classic with @DaveLong’s list. The few I’ve played were fantastic. Spent over 100$ importing Ogre Battle a long time ago, totally worth it.

That, combined with cartridges being expensive, PSX dev being cheaper and/or easier than N64 (and Saturn) dev, PSX having a larger install base, and publishers wanting to get in on that Final Fantasy VII money.

Good pull with Rogue Squadron. I played it on PC in the last year. Yeah, still great.

But the absence of Podracer on anyone’s list is galling. It almost makes the movie worth it.

Almost.

I’m not sold on Goldeneye anymore. I played it a few years back and it was borderline unplayable. Nostalgia only gets you so far. Had a lot of fun with it when it came out though.

Did you use control scheme Type C? Me and everyone I knew used that back in the day, but I found out on Qt3 earlier this year that there were people who didn’t use control scheme Type C for Goldeneye, which is the one that was closest to the one we all use now (C-buttons for WASD-equivalent, analog stick for aiming). Maybe if you tried using other schemes it would make it worse?

I recently played Perfect Dark’s remake on Xbox One as part of the Rare Collection, and that plays fine in modern times using dual analog sticks.

I probably used the default control scheme. It might have had something to do with the people I was playing with as none of them were really feeling it either. I also tried single player again and lost interest fairly quickly. It was always more of a multiplayer game to me. I played it on the original console, so I don’t know if the remake improved things. The N64 controller was always kinda wonky too.

You made the right choice.

Found one (3 actually) in the wild today at Target! Grabbed one for my kids Christmas. The lady at target said this is probably the last shipment for a few weeks. Been checking target and Walmart whenever I’ve been by one for a while now. Finally paid off. Whoot!!!

And I stopped at Target and happened to find that they had just gotten a shipment yesterday. So 10 in stock.

SNES got!

I’ve been enjoying it! Go Princess!

:D

I have to wait a bit, it is my Christmas gift from my wife, but I look forward to playing Mario and Zelda with my 4 year old.

I think my urge to get one has faded.

So, I bought one of these and they are awesome and hackable and totally worth it, but I went a little nuts and also pre-ordered one of these…

https://www.analogue.co/pages/super-nt/

It’s a FPGA console that simulates the SNES. Ultimately that means it should play every cartridge ever released for the SNES with a beautiful picture on any TV that supports 1080p HDMI. It ships in February and I’m excited to receive it. Their first effort at building an FPGA console is the $450 NES version which could then be hacked to play GameBoy, Game Gear and others. Given this is an even better chip, who knows?

At $189 (with pricey shipping), I think it’s going to be worth the fee. True hardware simulation should be as close as we can get to a modern version of the original hardware. Not for everyone, certainly, but an exciting new way to enjoy Retro gaming.

Those consoles are super cool.

I sold my soul to the emulation devil a long time ago, but if I ever decided to start collecting in meatspace, that’s 100% what I’d do it with.

Well done sir! Those look like the ultimate retro console.

What color did you pick, out of curiosity?

I decided to go with the Super Famicom design since I do own a US SNES that I still can play on a CRT. I really like the black, but I pre-ordered the wireless controller too and I really like the JPN SNES mulitcolored buttons.

Expect a full report when it gets here in a couple months. While I’m excited about new games all the time, I’m finding myself really gravitating toward retro lately. This looked too awesome to pass up. The Super Turrican games included made it kind of a no brainer as one has never been available before and the other goes for $150.

That does look pretty cool. I still have all my cartridges but the SNES machine isn’t doing great.

Do you need the game cartridges to play? I have zero of these… That’s one major advantage of the SNES CLASSIC.

It is designed to be played with cartridges. That’s kinda the point in that it lets you play your original carts on a modern TV with perfect simulation of the original hardware.

That said, it will likely play ROMs too. The two Turrican games that ship with it are provided digitally and it accepts SD cards for updates. Without getting into a piracy debate, it’s likely that you could play games without buying them, but the point is kinda that you can play the carts you own.

I’m sure they won’t turn away any of that sweet, sweet emulation money.