Songs that have lodged themselves into your brain

That damn “Moves Like Jagger” song is following me! And I HATE IT.

Speaking of supremely awesome pop songs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tg00YEETFzg

It’s got the perfect blend of catchy and dreamy. I’ve listened to it 20 times this week.

Just marathoned Breaking Bad on Netflix streaming and there’s a completely awesome scene in one episode with DLZ by TV on the Radio playing that has caused me to get hooked on it for a bit.

Hyro Da Hero: Ghetto Ambiance

Picked the album (Birth, School, Work, Death) up a while back. Though he needs to make a better effort to diversify his vocal delivery a bit in future efforts, it’s a solid effort on its own. Unfortunately, this song ends up stuck in my heads for days after giving it a spin.

I’ve had Chu by f(x) stuck in my head for a couple weeks now. It’s just such a cute song, even if I don’t understand a word of it.

So I was trying to remember who co-hosted a science show with Magnus Pyke (it was Miriam Stoppard I was looking for), and that ended up leading me to the video for “She Blinded Me with Science”, which in turn got me watching the video for “One of Our Submarines”

Now that song is completely stuck in my head on repeat and won’t stop.

Ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

By means of dedicated (albeit misdirected) Googling, I’ve finally cleared a mental song block.

So, backstory: my memory BLOWS and I have literally no sense of rhythm, tone, or timbre. So, needless to say, more often than not, my “memory” of a song–and particularly my feeble, fumbling attempts to recreate it for people–are abysmal. My extremely music-competent partner, of course, thinks this is all fucking hilarious, what with her eidetic memory for lyrics and perfect ear for rhythm/notes/etc.

Anyway, a few months ago, a song got lodged in my brainmeat. I was reasonably confident that a key line in the song was “Take me out to ____” (where ____ had a long “I” in the middle, I thought) which of course immediately lead me to "Take Me Out Tonight. . . " but I was sure that the rhythm was all wrong for that to be it!

Mind you, my musical disability prevented me from explaining how the rhythm was all wrong, but dammitall, I knew it was right! But you try googling “Take Me Out lyrics,” man–all you get’s a buncha shit about baseball!

Anyway, I finally got sick of it and just started “-”-ing out search terms to clear the songs I knew it wasn’t from Google today. . . and I finally wound up on (somehow, God, somehow). . .

Okay, so I only had fully 50% of the lyrics I thought I remembered completely wrong!

Anyway, song found!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euwgRSt5Nrs

…missingmissingmissingmissingmissing…

“Take off your spurs and help me pass the time, and I will give to you, summer wine, oooooo summer wine”

“It’s a party in a can.” Nearly two decades on, and this ridiculous tune still worms its way into my thoughts.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaFR6PC820c

Could be worse, but today it’s White Wedding.

Weird. I was literally just listening to the Sentenced album that contains their cover of “White Wedding.”. Which isn’t really their best work (that’s, of course, “Bleed in My Arms” and the entire Crimson album).

But none of that is on topic at all!

Songs that have been stuck in my head lately?

Okay, this is another weird one, and I’d love some help from you guys.

The opening bars of Epica’s “The Quantum Enigma - Kingdom of Heaven Part 2” feature a little snippet of relatively clean guitar melody that I swear sounds just like the opening to another–almost certainly much more well-known–song. Particularly, each time it plays, it feels like it cuts just short of finishing the other melody I’m thinking of. It’s driving me crazy!

Any thoughts?

Perhaps this one? Also by Epica, and my first thought.

Another possible similarity from Queensryche

The Queensryche one’s a little closer to what’s in my head, but not quite. A little less reverby, a little deeper/darker tone to the guitar. In my head, instead of just fading out, the melody continues along the rhythmic pattern it establishes in the last bar or so.

Dunno! But it’s been driving me nuts this whole weekend.

Of course, now I gotta go listen to the entirety of Operation: Mindcrime, because it’s perfect.

Thank Goodness, somewhere where I can get help. Been finding every version on YouTube and playing them continuously. I mean like an hour and a half of the same song, need my fix like an alcoholic but at least this feeds the soul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evN6DIGPIJM

Or this great version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z_OZOS-upw

Or, ok, I will stop, his voice and the simple piano chord change is fantastic.

This has been stuck in my head for several days now.

I never thought growing up I’d listen to Elvis, but I find myself going back to his Viva Las Vegas album for a good listen every so often.

A B C D E F G H I gotta gal… in Kalamazoo
Don’t wanna boast but I know she’s the toast of Kalamazoo zoo zoo zoo zoo zoo
Years have gone by, my, my how she grew
I liked her looks when I carried her books in Kalamazoo

My condolences.

There are probably a couple of hundred, and I always have something playing on my inner jukebox. Right now it’s this:

Holiday,
Oh what a lovely day today,
I’m oh so glad they sent me away,
To have a little holiday today, holiday.
Holiday,
And I’m just standing on the end of a pier,
Hoping and dreaming you were here,
To share my little holiday.