Star Trek Discovery (2017)

DS9 is the best trek, you really should visit it.

I will say in Shatnerian tones “transgressor!!!” and then consider your recommendation.

I would normally be encouraged, but co-producer Kurtzman is a black hole of suck from which nothing good can escape.

Hannibal was so frickin’ good, though.

So will the Ready Room table have dinner served at it now? :D

Looks like, much like Yahoo Screen’s properties (you know, the doomed Yahoo Screen that died and also was bad), CBS’s new Star Trek series will be released weekly on their $6/mo service.

Sigh, with Nicholas Meyer on…god dammit I might subscribe…frak…

They should have just put it up on AOL.

Well of COURSE they get my money. I wonder if it will be a 13-episode ($24) or a 24-episode run ($36). Maybe I can just subscribe after it’s almost over and catch up in time to watch the last few episodes for $6.

Even when I binge watch, I watch about 3 episodes a week, so even if I subscribe at the end, I figure I’ll pay at least $12 for two months. Not bad, for a new season of Star Trek.

If it’s like all the other Star Trek series though, it will finally start getting its legs and start getting good at the end of the first season. So I hope they give it some time. Can you imagine TNG or Deep Space Nine getting canceled after their first seasons? I wouldn’t have been all that upset, but I would have never gotten the good stuff that came later either.

Nah, I’m out. Got enough stuff I’m not watching on Netflix and Hulu that are costing me money to pony up for yet another. I’ll just live vicariously through you dudes in this thread.

I’m sure if the series is any good they will eventually stream it in bulk. I feel no need to subscribe to a special service to watch episodes of something as it comes out.

The teaser trailer: https://youtu.be/xXpPweAooeE

It’s like someone at CBS decided there wasn’t enough lens flare in the new Trek.

I like it. It feels modern. This show likely won’t get multiple seasons to prove itself, so I really hope they start out strong out of the gate. We’ve finally been without a Star Trek series long enough that I really want to get into another one.

Have there been any reports on which era this is set in?

Unfortunately that intro looks way too much like the newer Dr. Who intro, but otherwise it is pretty, I guess. Just doesn’t tell you anything useful.

Is it the intro? I thought it was a teaser, not necessarily the intro for the show.

Ugly typeface for the logo.

Anyone else kinda surprised by how low-budget the SFX looked there? Everything was that sorta shiny, slick, medium-resolution kind of 3D I associate with bad games from the mid-to-late 00s.

Yeah, but Star Trek has often suffered with budget f/x even in the movies. No doubt costs are being very strictly managed this time around. That impossible hollowed-out planet thing set my teeth a little on edge, I have to admit.

Maybe I’m just spoiled by the Flarrowverse on CW (my complaint about one scene’s CG notwithstanding) and Supergirl/Agents of SHIELD on the real networks, but it seems like perfectly functional and lovely CG is within the grasp of modest TV budgets these days–particularly if used smartly and sparingly.

At the very least, I hope Star Trek is gonna get a little more money put toward it than CW invests in their shows. . .