Star Trek Discovery (2017)

Naw but hey Brian I totally respect your

IMG_0537

Ok that

Good start, set the stage nicely for what to come. Impressive visuals, loved having a big tv for this, and certainly nice to have HD-4K.

As for Klingons, don’t care one bit how they looked before, they seem to work now.

Also I found this to be just trekish enough, it’s about ethics and morals Brian, not the tech , it never was about the tech, well except the transporter beams, they’re awesome.

Was it 4K? It didn’t have the UHD-4K symbol in the programme listing for me, and while it looked good, I didn’t think it looked particularly 4K either. Unfortunately it’s not easy to tell definitively what the actually streaming resolution is on the Netflix app in the current LG sets.

Did…you read anything I said, or are you just trying to be contrary for contrary’s sake?

I found the shows to be just right for the Trek, I liked them, way more than I liked the JJ movies really…

Just wanted to point out that the technobabble never really was the defining trek point for me, it was always the morals, the ethics and their very nice non-materialistic society :)

You are right Ginger:Yellow, I found no way to change resolution, it says HD, which on my 55 inch is good enough to get sharp details, but I guess it may not have been 4k ,which is a shame then…but I don’t think my TV is big enough to get that much outta 4k

I’ve only watched the first episode so far but I loved it. The visuals and effects are awesome. The characters interest me and having Michelle Yeoh as a guest star is a treat.

Also, I really enjoyed the much younger Starfleet with earlier versions of classic tech and vocabulary, as well as equipment that’s closer to ours

(having to recon a ship with a space sortie).

To me, this show is a definite hit. Star Trek is back on the small screen and I’m glad. Really looking forward to episode 2 later today.

Ah. I stand corrected then.

It still doesn’t account for why everything is JJ Trek. The studio just doesn’t want to publicly admit to what they’re doing.

I mean, I think the real answer is that continuity simply doesn’t matter anymore in the modern era of continuous monetization. A franchise is just a word cloud of themes and iconography.

I doubt the series can maintain the pace of this first episode, but so far this feels like TNG Star Trek but with the production values and momentum of the JJ rebooot.

I could not care less for the visual changes and stuff. I don’t want a series looking or acted like the original, thanks.

And the Klingons don’t seem to be standard Klingons?? Are they a religious offshoot or something? this point is not clear for me yet.

What exactly is different, storywise?

I think what they are gonna offer is Amazon channels and Itunes subscriptions. Off the top of my head you can HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, and Starz on Amazon ATM.

Relatively easy to sub + desub. Only problem is I can never login to HBONow even thought I pay through amazon. It worked when I paid through Itunes.

Yay! This might be the only reason I might continue watching!

https://art19.com/shows/the-greatest-discovery

This isn’t adopting the look of Kelvin-verse Trek per se. it’s just a Star Trek made with a good budget and 2017-level CGI and set construction. Those warp nacelles are 100% original and not part of any existing Trek lore. :)

I’m on board so far. The prelude was well-done for a pilot. Really, the one element that’s missing so far is any kind of levity. But from some of the interviews I’ve heard with actors playing characters we haven’t seen yet, I think that’s coming.

But maybe not until after the “Discovery is a different kind of ship, welcome to Blue is the New Orange” episode…

Well I’m on BORED so far…

Heh. Hehehe.

I think we get it by now, Brian.

I like the show - It’s probably on the best looking scifi shows I’ve seen recently, and for a pilot, incredibly strong and well paced. As many others have noted, the klingons are kinda annoying with their speech to me, but I like their looks. Its just that speech sounds…well, not natural. Whomever did the make-believe languages in Game of Thrones should have been hired here. This kinda sounds like the same 5 sounds said over and over.

Female black lead is interesting, and her story arc doesn’t exactly start out as expected, so thats a big plus in my book as well.

I am really looking forward to seeing where this goes from here!

Is the Klingon being spoken in Discovery different than the Klingon spoken in the other series? I would think we’d be hearing a huge uproar if that were the case.

I think the problem is that they hired non-Klingon actors this time.

I thought there were regulations about that sort of thing.

Like human-washing the cast?

I think he means more that the look and feel is JJish. I think it feels like something in between what new Trek was trying and the older shows. Some of the bridge dynamics (especially everything to do with the science officer character) felt a lot more like Trek TV than anything in the new Trek movies.

I really think a lot of the rest - use of effects, colors, action scenes - are more reflective of a desire to make a modern show more than overtly copying JJ’s style.

yeah, exactly.