Star Trek Discovery (2017)

Which article?

Best you find it yourself, I don’t feel right linking to spoilers.

I’ve got a couple of pet theories, I wonder if they match the spoilers (which I haven’t looked at):

Deleted because blurred spoilers still showing up for some apparently.

I believe the article I read confirmed the first, and the second just seems right.

I came up with the first theory, because otherwise that Checkhov’s Tribble on Lorca’s desk is wasted.

Not that I’m up in arms about it or anything, but your Blur Spoiler text is still showing up, above. Not your fault as it has been sort of broken on Discord for a while now. Might want to switch to the Hide Details tag.

That’s weird. They look blurred to me on both iOS and macOS. Both when I composed it and when I checked now. I’ll delete the comments entirely since I’m on mobile and have no clue how to do the details thing.

Maybe it’s just a Chrome thing. I’ve seen it mentioned before but I’m not sure what the cause is.

Just highlight the text, hit the gear icon and use the Hide Details function.

What should I try to look for so I can find it?

It’s the Katharine Trendacosta piece published yesterday morning on https://io9.gizmodo.com/. The theory is in paragraph #8.

Thanks.

Oh, that spoiler. Figured that out watching it.

Man, I hated that piece. So irritated at the people who have this fantasy that there have never been assholes in the Star Trek universe, or Starfleet. Heck, lead villians in the last two Star Trek movies were Starfleet captains/admirals. Even if you don’t like JJ Trek, Undiscovered Country, Insurrection, and countless episodes of all the series had Starfleet or Federation guys who were aholes/villains. (Lt. Cmdr. Benjamin Finney in TOS tried to get Kirk tried for murder by faking his own death because he was jealous of him. Jerk. Sorry, 1966 spoiler.)

So yeah, Lorca’s a jerk and not a good person. There’s a DY-100 cargo hold full of precedents for that.

I always used to comment that it was amazing Starfleet ever did anything since every single Admiral except Kirk was basically evil.

Yeah, outside of that I don’t really care for or pay much attention to the io9 stuff. But I think I referenced a different paragraph of it that, based on what you wrote, I think you may not have read yet.

I’m finding everything plotwise to be very obvious (case in point, last episode), the characters to be almost universally dim and completely lacking in any sort of meaningful foresight. The ‘science’ aspects are also dumb. A 2 minute science lecture (again) on the spore drive just makes it sound stupid. It’s SciFi, you don’t need to explain the science. I don’t recall other Treks’ giving pseudo-science lectures to the audience, before having the most inane character in a Trek show speaking one of the most inane lines I’ve ever heard in a SciFi show.

The whole show looks like it was made for the kind of people who stood up and clapped when they first saw the Millennium Falcon on screen during The Force Awakens in the cinema - which explains why Tilly is so popular.

I really can’t believe how stupid everything in this show is compared to other SF shows, particularly The Expanse (which I like but don’t quite love).

I watched Galaxy Quest again recently, and that had a more believable story and cast of characters. There hasn’t been an ounce of gravitas in the show and considering how much death there has been already, that’s a fairly damning indictment. It makes me wonder if Enterprise was released now rather than 16 years ago, would it have been met with fairly rapturous applause?

I suspect so!

I think if they would have released Star Trek Enterprise with the starting theme/credits of Star Trek Discovery (which are awesome) then Enterprise would have done a lot better. I think a lot of people were put off from the very first few minutes with the cheesy country theme song.

It was fairly cringeworthy and insulting as a non-American alright.

Isn’t it a Rod Stewart song?

Put to really exceptionalist US iconography, yes. Also, have you actually read the lyrics? They don’t translate well to other cultures!

Haven’t read the lyrics no, guilty as charged, since it’s in English I’d have to actually engage the brain to make sense of the words, so the voice is mostly just another instrument. Going to have to read it now…