Star Trek Discovery (2017)

Same here. Haters gonna hate!

I’m actually consulting with local necromancers to see if I can transform into an undead being that will hate this show until the end of time. And yet I’m still going to watch so it can’t be that bad…

Wasn’t a big fan. It had its nice moments, but it also some grating ones.

Once again the plot needed an excuse to have Burnham at the center of the action because having been briefly aboard the flagship before apparently gave her such unrivaled intimate knowledge of its layout that no one else could match. Same for the cunning ability to place and switch on a beacon. Would have been a nice opportunity to pair one of the other characters with Tyler (whose actor remains bland) and give them a bit more spotlight. But nope, once again it’s Burnham. Whom I’m still not really invested in. And the fight with Kol was just so bad. The rigid prosthetics and the armor make the Klingons look really stiff and awkward. And in good Star Trek tradition, the warrior race sucks at fighting just enough that a human can hold his/her own in a fight.

I’ll probably keep watching where it goes simply because it’s available on Netflix over here, but it’s not a show I’d subscribe to a service for.

Could someone explain how CBS Access/Amazon Prime works?

It costs a few dollars more than regular CBS Access, but you get all the Amazon Prime shows too, right? Is that correct? Do the shows air later than on regular CBS Access?

Its just a association with CBS all access. You go to amazon to directly link into Netflix, I think still hulu, and now CBS access.

FYI I just saw today that CBS All Access has introduced a plan similar to Hulu’s, where are you can pay $9.99 a month to watch their shows without being interrupted by ads. So if you want to watch your Big Bang Theory or Two Broke Girls in peace now you can!

Darn. Too bad.

No this is an add on to Amazon Prime. Just let’s you subscribe through your Amazon account. They offer Networks like Showtime and Starz too.

So, new episode out and… I am disillusioned. They continue to kill the nice characters and keep the assholes around. I will watch it because it is sci fi and on Netflix so it does not cost me anything but emotionally I think I am done. Killing of characters willy nilly is not what needs to be in star trek just because it works in GoT.

If you watched After Trek, it sounds like there’s more to the death than meets the eye.

I though this episode was amazing. When they pulled up the schematic of the Defiant… And if the emperor turns out to be an older Hoshi Sato, I will love them forever.

They killed a chracter that’s involved in a mirror (and to a certain extent time travel) storyline, I doubt that we have seen the last of him and even if that’s the case, we would like to see Star Trek take at least some risks, don’t we?

This was fun, more of this plx.

I watched that now. I think he is referring to his mirror universe self. The thing with the mushrooms could of course point to other possibilities, so there is hope.

How long will they continue the “ruse” that Tyler is a modified Klingon and the former captain of the Ship of the dead? I am 100% certain now that is the way they go and was something floated right when he first shows up. Still pissed they Killed the Doctor. I don`t see how that adds anything to the story besides painting Tyler as the next guy to go or rather wont be redeemed or whatever. . Discovery does need more happy people in the cast, not less. They can take risks, but I feel they go to far off and its just a Sci Fi show and not Star Trek. Without that Name attached I would actually love it I think.

The “surgically modified Klingon” was a plot point my wife sussed out early on in the series. The clues were always there. The actor who plays Ash Tyler, Shazed Latif, is listed in the credits of the 1st episode. Ash Tyler is not in that episode. But his Klingon counterpart is. The Klingon voice he speaks in is the same “Klingon voice”.

There were other clues she rattled off. I’d ask again, but I don’t want to get my wife started :)

They’re able to detect the ‘signature’ that indicates which universe something is from, but can’t differentiate between human and Klingon DNA?

Yep, hence I think this thing is stupid but after this episode it seems almost unavoidable.

He’ll certainly be the most TOS-like Klingon in that clase.

Hey, I’m with you; don’t shoot the messenger.

We know that Ash Tyler could not have been on the prison ship for seven months. The supposed femme Captain of the prison ship, L’Rell, was on the Ship of the Dead, not the prison ship, for most of that time. We know this; we saw it!

There is another line where he explains away a “you fight like a Klingon” description which Ash deflects by claiming to have had to fight for his life for so long. At the same time as he was supposedly being perved on by the Klingon L’Rell? Which story is correct? Answer: none of it. Ash Tyler is really the Klingon Voq; the pale, ugly Klingon.

Lorca and Ash also escape rather easily from the prison ship, don’t you think? Way too easily. L’Rell let them go. It was all part of her plan.

Anyway - if Ash Tyler being a surgically modified Klingon bakes your noodle - what do you think about the possibility that Cpt Lorca on ST:Discovery has, in fact, been the runaway Lorca from Mirror-Mirror Universe all along?

Could that not explain why Lorca has been breaking the goodie-two-shoes Starfleet Captain mold from the very beginning? He supposedly was the ONLY survivor from his former ship, the USS Buran. Nobody was around to vet his story - or verify it. That’s when Mirror Mirror Lorca showed up.

Mirror Mirror Lorca was initially discovered by his crew on the Buran. But he escaped, blew up his ship and then took the opportunity to make up whatever tale he wanted. And so he did and then chose to integrate into Starfleet and he has been using his merciless methods to advance his cause throughout. And he’s secretly been trying to find a way to get back home with the Spore drive all along, too.

For all we know, the REAL Cpt Lorca from the Federation may have been the one who tried to kill the Emperor. MM Lorca had NO IDEA what his double had done in the Terran Empire before he finally got back - and now his fate has been sealed by the actions of an impostor - the REAL Cpt. Lorca. The REAL Cpt Lorca, I would guess - is still alive in the MM Universe, with MM Burnham as his prisoner. And as the REAL Cpt. Lorca knows that MM Burnham is such an evil bitch, he also knows that the supposed mutineer Michael Burnham, can’t be as bad as she is said to be; has been found and sentenced by a Court Martial to be.

Outlandish? Maybe. Maybe. At this point, I’m really not so sure. [Edit: I am sure, and it isn’t outlandish. At all.]

Certainly explains why MM Lorca sleeps with a phaser under his pillow, right? It wasn’t PTSD, simply a case of “old habits are hard to break”. After all, killing a captain she was in bed with is how Cpt Tilly earned her promotion to Captain of the ISS Discovery in the Terran Empire. When he is “found out” by Admiral Cornwell, he arranges for her to be a diplomatic sacrificial sheep – and then counts his blessings as his error is covered up. For a time.

Still doubting? I was too even as I was typing this. [spoiler]Then I googled it and others have been on to it, too. Check out this promo shot of Cpt Gabriel Lorca in the Captain’s chair published in Variety last October before the debut. Now zoom in on the ship’s plaque. “ISS Discovery”. The Easter Egg has been there, taunting us, all along.

If this theory is correct, the writers of ST: Discovery have stayed true to Roddenberry’s ideals of Starfleet all along. They’ve simply presented us with a Manchurian Candidate Captain under deep cover since Episode 2. And they did the same with Loq/Ash Tyler, except in a different fashion. And we bought it and ate it up with a fork and knife.

Can’t be. No goatee.

Mirror universe Lorca would actually make so much sense and is a possibility I have speculated with as well. Now that I think about it there are some pointers in that direction. If they go with this they will get a bunch of goodwill as that would also.show how easily corruptible a good organisation is. Good point.