Star Trek Discovery (2017)

But at least there will be no more holographic communications, ever. See how easily they solve that retcon problem?!

I haven’t watched Season 2 so I’m not sure what you mean. I thought the holographic projections were okay in S1. Though I suppose if you want a better sense of continuity with earlier series it might be a good idea to get rid if them.

A lot of fans complained about how Discovery tech is more advanced than TOS, and for season 2 this was ‘dealt with’ in the dialog by Pike saying he hates it and likes the good ol’ fashioned way and will stick to screens in the Enterprise, thus ‘preserving’ continuity.

Meh. I was fine with the Klingon in S1 too. But it doesn’t matter much either way.

Perpetual Infinity: Man, this show is just so good sometimes, it amazes me that they have the production values of JJ Abram’s reboot movie, but with really emotionally powerful stories. I just want to also mention that whoever scores each of these episodes just does a superb job. There’s a couple of scenes where Michael talks to the red angel where the musical cue is just so perfect. It’s subtle, and never over-the-top, never feels generic and repetitive like TNG started to feel by the middle of its run either.

Three more episodes to go this season. Two ready right now, and one available tomorrow night.

Well, that was one hell of a fun ride. Naysayers, sign up for the week free trial and binge Season 2. Sooo much awesome fanservice for OG Trek fans. Loved it.

I just wish Season 3 would be about Pike, Number One, Spock, and the Enterprise. :) Anson Mount’s casting was brilliant.

Spoiler on the ending: My only real gripe was that they felt the need to close the story on Disocovery to give in to fan complaints about Discovery and Burnham never having been mentioned in other Treks. Stupid, stupid get-a-life substance-less thing to complain about. I have people I’ve known for decades I’ve never mentioned my sister to. And I’m pretty sure you could do a documentary filmed on a modern aircraft carrier and go an entire season with nobody mentioning the USS Bon Homme Richard. They really could have ignore that.

I love the lighting design in the latter half of this season. Scenes that look like sunrise on a country farm or something (with the sun coming in through spaceship windows, something space shows don’t take enough advantage of.)

I liked the finale of S2 (more than most of the season), but I’m in the camp of connecting that closely to a such a major TOS character was a poor choice. It’s one thing to stick them in that era, it’s another to have a major character that’s such a significant part of another major character’s life be retconned in there.

Spoke was the focus of several TV episodes and movies. Similarly, Sarak and Amanda have also played key roles. If they never truly explored Spoke’s past (e.g., as is the case with a Sulu, Scott, or even McCoy) I could see having a sibling never come up. But Spoke, more than any other TOS character, including Kirk, had his past and background explored, particularly the human-vulcan dichotomy.

For me, it’s not some sort of dealbreaker, just a bad choice.

Also, did anyone else think the Chancellor’s ship looked odd? Not menacing, at all. Reminds me of some 70s show or movie that I can’t recall right now.

Which ship? The “cleaver” was the same model used by T’kuvma to plow through the Federation flagship in the Battle of the Binary Stars and seems to have been designed mainly for the “gosh that’s huge” factor when it decloaks.

The D7, which the show has been referencing so often and tackily that it feels like a bad product placement deal, is the classic Klingon ship from TOS.

Do we know that there’s a Season 3?

I didn’t realize it was the same ship. I don’t think they showed a full-length view of it in the 1st season. It looks goofy in all it’s glory.

It’s interesting that the Federation refitted from the phaser cannons to the beam-style phaser emitters between season 1 and 2, in preparation for the TOS era.

I really want to like this, but instead his show just keeps pissing me off. The inanities that keep popping up are just so… ugh. I mean you have a frigging anti-matter explosion going off that takes out a huge chunk of the ship, but the captain can just stand looking at it from ten feet away through a transparent panel?

Go fuck yourself Discovery.

God why can’t people just enjoy a show…

Anyways, an amazing finale. Production values off the charts that equal any of the new Trek movies. Story wise they did a solid job of how to deal with everything Discovery and Burngham have been apart of the last two seasons. Be interesting to see what S3 does.

Seeing Spock and Pike on the rebuilt Big E was great. I’d vote for putting the Section 31 show in the deep freeze and doing a Pike led Enterprise show. They could even have it take place before this season when they where on their own 5 year mission.

Some quotes from producers about the future of the show and the spinoffs.

https://trekmovie.com/2019/04/19/alex-kurtzman-confirms-star-trek-discovery-season-3-destination-hears-fans-on-pike-series/

So did anyone notice all the rubble on the Enterprise and the Discovery? Seems like the Federation builds all their ships out of stone or something. Groovy.

That was a really great season, I loved it overall. I was a tad bit disappointed by the last episode, because I felt they dragged out the action scenes too much.

We didn’t need to see five continuous minutes of hopelessness with both ships getting attacked. The audience is smart, they know that the ships are not going to be destroyed in this situation, so dragging it out for five minutes becomes a drag. Then later, I thought the Georgio fight went on way too long too. Luckily, they found a way to make it interesting with the shifting gravity. They needed to cut out the first few minutes of that fight and just cut straight to the gravity shifting section.

It’s pretty funny that each of the four Short Treks ended up being so important this season. Tilly’s, Saru’s, and even the one that takes place in a far future Discovery. I think the only one that wasn’t relevant to this season was the Mudd one, but that one was relevant this week to our Star Trek: TOS ReWatch this week since we saw the episode “I, Mudd”, which also involved Mudd and androids.

Right around the Daedulus Project episode, I started thinking about that far future Short Trek, and I knew that somehow the Discovery would end up there, but the question was how.

Yeah, I absolutely loved the lighting you’re talking about. They used it again and again in the second half of the season, and usually for pretty dramatic scenes.

One of my favorite things this season was a subject that they didn’t explore overtly, but it was constantly there: Captain Pike is a super nice guy. That might make him very likeable, but it also makes him a kind of meek Captain. When he’s paired with someone like Spock, that’s perfect for him because Spock doesn’t speak out of turn and is very respectful. But paired with a strong personality like Michael Burnam, who is so headstrong and assertive? She was constantly interrupting him during meetings this season, and overriding his input. And he would let it go. I kept waiting for it to become a problem, and near the end of the season she kind of overtly contradicted him. It was severely disrespectful and unacceptable to any Captain who is concerned about not looking weak. But Pike let it go. I was just… surprised, and kind of impressed at the same time. I’ve never seen a Captain like him in Starfleet before, and I really liked it.

But he definitely needs to have less people like Michael Burnham on his staff.

I was very impressed with their casting of the iconic characters of Spock and Pike. Both were actors very good and felt true to their original characters. Mount took a very important character who was really underdeveloped as far as the original series goes and fleshed him out into a full formed person. There is a growing movement to petition CBS to do a Trek series around the early Enterprise crew. Now that they have moved Discovery into the future, there is room for such a series. Regarding the Discovery and its crew, it looks like they will be staying in the future timeline. They will likely have to work out some way of getting Giorgio back to the past, after all she has a Section 31 series to star in but Discovery and the rest of the remaining crew is likely there for the duration of the series. And the early buzz is that the Federation may no longer exist in that future. At least not in a recognizable form.

I liked season 2 much better then 1 and I am also in the camp that desperately wants more Pike.
A season 3 of Discovery in a future without a recognizable federation sounds a lot like Voyager, time travel edition, to me.

You seem to forget that Spock didn’t mention his half brother until that movie that suddenly introduced him. :)

Anyway, as for this episode, I’m not going to write a lot other than I hated it, it was all style over substance. The battle was more like a Star Trek movie. I mainly hated the torpedo stuff, the completely fan-servicing retcon and the time-travel and suit stuff.

I like the gravity corridor bit, even if it made no sense as we’d previously seen the nano-bot Leyland be superhumanly strong.

Whilst season 1 was consistently ‘good’, season 2 kept swinging from high to low.

I’m hoping season 3, which is free to do whatever it wants now that Discovery has been retconned out of existence, will be good.

I’m surprised to hear that there will be a Season 3. They tied up all loose ends by the end of Season 2, just like they did with season 1. They seem to write each Season finale as if it’s a series finale. I guess that philosophy is a good one in a TV climate where that could certainly become true, you never know.