Star Trek Online - QtTHREEEEE IIIINNN SPAAAAAACE! (launch/roll call/gameplay thread)

Coming to PS4 and Xbox One.

We’re also bringing several enhancements to the PS4 version. Our first major task was to convert a PC game that takes nearly an entire keyboard to play into a game that plays well with a DualShock 4. We focused on getting the controls right before we began work in earnest on this project, because we knew the game had to be as tactical, fun, and accessible as the PC game that preceded it. A combination of radial menus and streamlining HUD elements created a game that is easily understood, instantly accessible, and incredibly fun to play.

Next up, we invested heavily in our engine and added several modern lighting technologies that significantly improved the visual quality of the game. Deferred lighting, light probes, and improvements to our High Dynamic Range lighting system combine to provide more realistic lighting that feels like a true refresh to the game.

Alongside the lighting system, we decided the entire UI needed not only a complete graphical overhaul but to have its entire backend rewritten. The goal here was to create a UI that was incredibly streamlined on the backend to ensure the best game performance possible, while also creating a brand new experience built for DualShock 4.

WOO HOO! that will get me back in. I was going to ask if I could carry forward my character and ships but I think I’d kind of like to start over.

Generic non-PS4 specific announcement here: http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/9956413-star-trek-online-coming-to-xbox-one-and-ps4

I got an email (In my spam folder), that this is coming to Xbox One and PS4 now?

Star Trek Online has grown to feature over one hundred episodes and a wealth of end-game content as players fly throughout the galaxy, completing missions on Earth and even in the far reaches of the Delta Quadrant. We’ve seen new factions, level increases and the celebrity voice work from every era of Star Trek.

The Star Trek Online team is proud to bring this experience to the console space, where Captains can explore strange new worlds. With a new streamlined system, piloting your starship has never been easier with a console controller. You’ll be able to enjoy all the fun of flying through space at the palm of your hands.

Along with the new controller scheme, Star Trek Online will feature an all new lighting system. Engine updates like our new High Dynamic Range lighting system will display our game in a beautiful, new light.

We are absolutely thrilled to be bringing our free-to-play MMORPG to your console this Fall!

That might actually get me back to the game, at least for a short while.

Edit: Dammit!

I’m surprised that at this point in the games life that they’re willing to invest in this kind of jump to consoles. That aside, I really hope it works out well for them and takes off!

I know right!?! It is 50 years of Trek this year, so the hype / movie / upcoming tv series will help.

This is now available on Xbox One and PlayStation 4.

Oh hell yeah! My last day before my new job, going to boldly something something.

Just have to add that I’m liking this on Xbox. They’ve updated the tutorial to give you a proper mission to jump from cadet to captain of your own ship, I hadn’t seen that before. It’s also fun using the controller to play ship and on foot missions and the game looks really good - though that’s probably because I had to crank down the visuals in my old PC. You can’t bring over your characters from the PC version and have to start over, but it’s been so long that I like doing a new character. Anyone else trying this out on Xbox let me know, maybe we can get another fleet going.

I downloaded it on Xbox but uninstalled it when it took me to an account creation page in the Xbox web browser. I just couldn’t be arsed.

I’ve been powering through Deep Space 9 these last few weeks, the only Trek show I never caught every episode of while it was still on the air (only watched the first two seasons back when it first came out), so I’m still hyped enough I might try this again some time. But after years of hearing how mediocre it was on PC, I’m apprehensive about starting up an MMO on a console. I hear the game is better, but I’ll probably read up on the FTP limitations/monetization system before I put time into it.

I played it a ton on PC and never spent a thing. In fact I feel a bit guilty about that since I got so much enjoyment from the game. Maybe I’ll buy a big honking space ship. Or one of those captain’s yachts.

I bought a lifetime sub when it was in beta. A very good investment. I stopped for a year and came back to oodles of that C-store money. Picked up the 3 pack of Scimitars and the Temporal ship pack and got all sorts of keys to open goodie boxes. It was nice. A worthwhile thing to pick up way back when, but now, I probably wouldn’t.

I’m sad this thread got bumped without people posting pics of their supersexy spaceships. :(

-Tom

http://i.imgur.com/V1higAp.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ialZDFj.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Zwt08Hy.jpg

Well, I’ve crossed a line, looked into the abyss and found it staring right back at me. Knightsaber’s post above mine shows you what the in-game Kelvin timeline Constitution class (the Enterprise) looks like. I’m nearing the endgame and kind of wanted a more powerful ship, and like the looks of it. I found out you can’t buy this, not with in-game currency or real money. Instead you have to open lock boxes that you can come across while playing. So I started trying.

Long story short, I blew $60 on keys to open lock boxes and still don’t have a ship. Looks like the odds on actually getting one are guessed to be 1% or less per box. I could drop hundreds and have nothing to show for it.

Well, that’s not totally true - I’ve found some really good ship and ground weapons, some skill upgrades, stuff like that. But I wanted my own Constitution class starship and I’m bummed, partly because it didn’t occur to me until I was $60 in the hole that I was essentially gambling and then partly that I fell right into this trap so easily.

So I’m no better than your average whale. Not that I looked down on those people but I figured I’d at least see the trap set before me without just delightedly jumping in head first. And I still like the game, I just feel like I let myself down. Got some thinking to do.

Divedivedive, as gambling goes, $60 for lock boxes is a pretty small indulgence. I’ve probably done the same in a far worse Star Trek game, the browser-based “Star Trek: Alien Domain.” If you’ve gained some gear and skill upgrades, I say enjoy them and don’t beat yourself up about it.

I did the same thing in Neverwinter. I hate to think of how much I’ve spent in the past. Don’t feel bad, everybody has the gambler’s gene. Just be glad you didn’t borrow money from the mob.

I bought mine with in-game currency on the Exchange. It was about 300 million EC at the time. Strange that you couldn’t find one. Maybe they’re gone? I bought the Vengeance at the same time. Never opened a box in my life.

While I did play a decent chunk on PC I’m currently playing on Xbox, not sure that these ships can be bought on the exchange. And I don’t have 300 million EC anyway.

To be fair, I’ve had a lifetime sub since launch and have taken year long breaks, so I get all that free store cash. I buy lock box keys with it and sell them for oodles of EC, and then buy ships I want. So yeah I paid $200 once, years ago, but it’s all downhill since.