Star Trek Online - QtTHREEEEE IIIINNN SPAAAAAACE! (launch/roll call/gameplay thread)

I honestly am not totally sure, I believe it is a special Trill exclusive traits wich gives a bonus of +5 to 5 skills or some such. I just like the Trills and will probably make one. And it would be a shame if I made one now, play the headstart and then have to create a new one later on to take advantage of the bonus.

Trill is the only preorder bonus that has basically no info about it. I don’t think anyone knows exactly what it does other than it somehow gives you a bonus to some skills, supposedly

USS BZIKKT BZIKKT

STO stuff copied over from the CO thread:

AIUI combat is responsible for a lot of your skill point gains. Since only half (maybe even less) of the explore missions missions involve combat you just aren’t going to gain as many skill points.

Personally I found myself leveling up faster than the available missions. I don’t recall much/any repetition needed for leveling.

I’m not sure where I got all my experience from. I did all the Patrol missions, which I actually liked quite a bit. I did some of the Episode missions. I think I only did Deep Space Encounters a few times, and Starbase 24 a few times before hitting say Lt Commander 5. (I did switch to them at the end mostly to experiment with stuff before close of beta.) I also didn’t do many exploration missions until after I hit Lt Commander.

I was pushing myself pretty far out on the Patrol missions, doing missions pretty far above my level. It was only when I got stymied because I was way below level (doing missions meant for a Cruiser in my Miranda Light Cruiser) that I went back and started doing the Episode missions. Most of them were many levels below me.

Maybe we’re all seeing things from a different perspective because of our levels? It wouldn’t surprise me to find out that stuff gets sparser as you go up in level.

From what I saw there was a lot of ground equipment for 77 badges (just a smidge more than you could earn in a single outing). Some of the ship equipment was actually fairly expensive – IIRC ship shields ran over 220 badges. You could definitely get some good equipment from just a few outings, but fully equipping your ship and your away team would take some doing.

One thing I really liked about the exploration missions was their time length. I liked leaving my ship in a Nebula logging out, and then when I needed a break from work, I would login and run an exploration mission or two.

Yeah that is mostly what i did too. I liked the story missions quite a bit generally and the patrol missions were mostly good as well.

Badge gear by itself only seems equal to what you find from what i saw (although badges were only turned on late in my leveling) and the level range of each badge level is pretty large so near the end of that range it starts being so-so. What this means is buying most common equipment like weapons or shields with badges is mostly useless, but buying hard to find item types that quests don’t give such as consoles is very much worth it. The quest part is the big thing since some uncommon/rare quest gear tends to be WAY better than almost anything else you find for a long time.

Since you mentioned shields, i was looking at the badge shield, but a while back i got an uncommon resilient shield (my favorite type of shield) from a quest that just blew the badge one away.

I’ll be in.
Name, no idea at this point.

My main will be a Human Engineer who’s personal hero is this guy: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/en/images/5/5b/Efrosian_Federation_President.jpg

He hopes for a return to peace with the Klingons.

McHale@sarcazmotron3040

wtf… :( that was the look of my dude in the beta… or, as close as I could get with it… along with the guy’s name.

I’ll probably be an unknown alien (leadership sounds good on paper, but not good enough to get that crappy +expose damage trait and give up two other good traits for it), but human engineer. I like cruisers and engineers seem best suited to flying them.

Might be tempted to go human though for leadership and because i think unknown alien misses out on a bunch of human only costume items.

I’ll probably be playing mass effect 2 at release though heh.

Hailing Frequency’s Interview with executive producer. I though Brian would particularly appreciate this quote (transcription by Blackjack at GamingTrend):

Q: What element of the game do you really wish could have been there for launch but that you didn’t have the time for, and that you might add in later on?

A: …

There are a lot of big things I’d like to see expanded on. The exploration content for me is very cool, compelling, it’s a sliver of what the Genesis system is able to do. I expect over the lifetime of the project, what you see in star clusters will explode in terms of variety and depth.

Woah woah woah. Say what now?

For example, i don’t think unknown alien females can use earrings if i remember right. You can make an unknown alien look like almost anything, but some costume pieces seem to be restricted to the actual specific race.

Do you need to buy the deluxe edition to get access to the headstart?

In case anyone else is in the same boat: Steam gives you the preorder key as soon as you start the download. Once you get the key, you can stop the download and just use the beta client you already had installed. The key is tied to your STO account; you don’t need to launch the game via Steam.

Here I was, waiting for my preorder key to show up in an e-mail…

flyinj, you just need any type of pre-order. You’ll need to get a pre-order code from the retailer and enter it at the STO website. Be aware that some retailers don’t seem to be very good at getting pre-order codes to you. There are a lot of posts on the Official Boards about not getting pre-order codes from Amazon in a timely manner.

I can tell you from personal experience that Amazon took literally months after the release of Tekken 6 to get me the code to unlock the Cardboard Tube Samuari costume promised as a pre-order bonus.

It’s my understanding that none of the pre-order bonus items will be available during the head start period. So everyone with a pre-order will get to play during the head start, but they’ll have to wait for retail release to get their bonus items.

There’s already a patch up on the game launcher, now would probably be a good time to get it before all the chuckleheads log on tomorrow

Yes, you don’t need to re-download everything.

I’ll be in, but part of a different fleet unfortunately. I’ll be Tezz@GloriousMess unless something screwy happens with my account.

I’ll be Khaine@Skumbag, in the same fleet as GloriousMess.

I’m going for a 40k Eldar theme, so I plan on spending way too long on character and Bridge Officer customisation.