Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker

I’d rank TFA above Rogue One, but yeah.

All due respect to Gary Whitta, but I thought his involvement with Rogue One was many script drafts removed from the film.

I guess? “Story by Gary Whitta” seems to indicate the bones are his or they would have taken his name off it?

That particular detail has appeared before. It’s fairly likely to be true, as is the fact that they never went with Lucas’ ideas for this movie.

I can’t remember where I’d heard that it had changed a lot, I may have that wrong. But it’s not uncommon for earlier writers to still get credit on something that bears little resemblance to their work. I thought that had happened here.

There’s some info here… I’ll see what else I can dig up. I don’t know if Gary still has an account here but I doubt he could talk too much about it on QT3 if he does…

…also, you can see where Lucasfilm’s heads were back when Rogue One was being made…

" The one thing that John Knoll said was, “I want to see things that I’ve never seen before in Star Wars .” We tried to do that in Rogue One , and that’s the mandate on all the films going forward."

I think again, that was a mistake. Rogue One is great because it’s a story that wasn’t told before in a universe that’s consistent with the one that is beloved by fans and internally consistent with the events of the movies. That’s what rubs me entirely the wrong way (and apparently many others) with The Last Jedi. They tried so hard to be bold and different that they effed it all up.

He wouldn’t talk. You don’t piss in your own pool.

See Josh Trank.

I guess it’s true they met:

Still, I can see this as a courtesy meeting, or a marketing move, or something. I can’t believe that JJ expected to get much out of it that would help making the actual movie. But who knows…

I think JJ totally respects these creators that came before him and would definitely take into account whatever words came out of their mouth. He has always had that reverence for what made him go into this line of work in the first place.

I just don’t find Rogue One as resonant as you do, I guess. When you brought up Cassian Andor earlier, I said to myself, “I don’t even remember who that is or what happened to him!” I certainly didn’t walk away from New Hope being unclear on who the characters were or what they were all about. Yet even the main character’s arc in Rogue One was muddy. Rogue One overall felt sloppy and clunky to me. The production design was brilliant and true to Star Wars, though! That’s the most I can say.

You should get to know him. He’s coming to TV!

I think Diego Luna’s portrayal of him is excellent and it was something new in the Star Wars universe. Really looking forward to more of him and K-2SO.

Even if you don’t like Rogue One’s plot, overall, it’s arguably got the best space battle in all the SW movies. Only RotJ and RoS are true competition.

Watching Episode IX last night, I was thinking, man, this battle isn’t anywhere near as good as Rogue One’s.

I don’t know how many of you played the latest Star Wars game from Respawn (Jedi: Fallen Order), but one reason I made fun of that game despite loving it is that it has you collecting pieces of lightsabers as one of the rewards you get for really being thorough and searching every nook and cranny of the world you explore. And then you use it in a game where the 3rd person perspective gives you a view of your saber most of the time where you can’t even see all the fine details of the saber.

So that was me making fun of that concept. But at the same time, I hadn’t realized how I’d gotten used to looking at the fine detail on a lightsaber when I’m on the workbench in that game. So when I was watching Rise of Skywalker, it finally hit me that in every scene in which they show you a close up of a lightsaber, I was actually looking at the craftwork of the handle and the little part that connects the ends, and the ends themselves where the light comes out.

So well done Jedi: Fallen Order. You gave me new appreciation for the prop makers who put together these various lightsaber props.

This isn’t how even most ongoing movies works. I understand some Star wars fans have this huge need to set-up new rules just so these movies can fail them, but if you look at the history of movies… a lot of them just don’t do this. Heck if you compared Star Wars, as is, to other movies The Matrix, Aliens, Jurassic Park… doesnt’ hold true at all, and they are doing fine in comparison. Hell that’s only the counting the ones that actually made it to three; we have movies that failed in their trilogy or more movies runs at movie one and didn’t even get the trilogy, and then you have a long graveyard of remakes we haven’t touched.

MCU was a 10 year plan. Star Wars was… not. They’re not the same beast, and in comparisons to other beloved runs, Star Wars is not some sort of ultimate failure at all.

Whitta has a Twitter thread going now, talking about some of the decisions on R1. So, he was fairly involved it looks like.

Exactly. It should have been. Planned, with consistent vision, that is. Then the reception would have been better, and it would have made lot more money than it did.

Not just that, it could have laid the groundwork to generate huge revenue for many more years. Between over saturation and a mediocre “final trilogy” I know a lot less people excited about Star Wars today than I did 5 years ago.

I love this post from that thread:

haha.

Me too, and myself included. Several of my friends who were there with me at midnight showing of TFA and TLJ didn’t go see Rise and do not care anymore.

That’s me. I really didn’t have any enthusiasm going into this last one, I likely wouldn’t have seen it had my work not rented out a theater. I never saw Solo, even before hearing the poor reviews.

It’s kind of sad. It was honestly a shock to not be excited about a Star Wars film, of all things. I didn’t even hate any of this latest trilogy, I just wasn’t attached/invested at all.