Star Wars Episode IX The Rise of Skywalker

Different topic, but did anyone else find it a little sad to see the aged version of these characters on the screen? I know I’m supposed to cheer at the sight of an older Billie D Williams, but I don’t know, I don’t like seeing the much older version of these actors. There’s something about the Silver Screen and the actors being cemented as these young stars. I want to keep them that way in my mind. It reminds me of when I saw Tony Curtis on David Letterman in the 90s. @Navaronegun might know who he is, since he watches Grandpa movies. I remember watching him so many times in Operation Petticoat when he was a young dashing man. It was just sad to see the older actor on Letterman, he was almost unrecognizable with the added weight and age.

Harrison Ford is one of the exceptions since he aged so well and never really left our screens. But everyone else who kind of disappeared from view were all pretty young and full of vigor in my mind’s eye. But then you see the older version of Karen Allen, for instance who came back for Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, and I think I almost physically recoiled when I first saw her again, she looked so different.

Nice try, pulling me into this hive of sugar yums and filler-y, Rocketman.

Evidently no one ever dies. They are available for cameos (or download) for fan-service.

They should probably recreate Tony Curtis for Episode XVIII. Star Wars: The Last Operation Petticoat.

You are looking back like a ten year plan is simply normal, somethign that is done. MCU is unique. The Harry Potter Movies that had actual books behind them were not even that well planned out. It is not realistic to expect that from every movie attempt, especially the ones without the strong book ties. It’s expensive, risky, and movies like The Mummy are going to be more common than Iron Man. And let’s keep in mind, Divergent which had a book back and still nose dived. Maze Runners was the same, at least I think that had books with it.

I know who this is. He is in one of my top favorite movies ever with Kirk Douglas.

I think seeing these actors aged as they are is… special, and no it’s not typical which leads to the special part. Marvel did not try and run that 40 years older so even MCU isn’t a great comparison.

I find it a little sad to see the aged version of everyone. Especially myself, in the mirror.

It doesn’t have to be a ten year plan, it would suffice if it was three movie plan. You know, since they were making a trilogy. That followed existing 6 movies.

I mean this ain’t rocket science. There is a reason Babylon 5 is one of the best, if not The best scifi shows ever. Straczynsky had it meticulously planned out year by year through to the end and the pay-offs were incredible. I am getting misty eyed just thinking about it.

More like a request for a 40 year plan actually.

Just getting three writer / directors who were all on the same page would probably be enough.

I’m surprised at the RT audience score for this movie. I checked shortly after it was enabled and after a very quick and small drop (back when it was around 6k reviews I think), it seems it hasn’t moved one inch for the last 40k or so of their new “verified” reviews.

I’m no mathematician or statistician and I understand this falls within the realm of possibility, but just for fun I will allow my right eyebrow to arch upwards just a teeny bit.

Good god, what a f’n retconned mess of a steaming pile of crap movie. I just can’t, I’m not going to bother organizing my thoughts.

My friend (whose opinion I share) said, “I’m having trouble thinking of what someone could dislike about this movie!” So, you know, opinions differ.

I don’t even think they have to plan out what happens in the future, but should certainly know what ALREADY HAPPENED. Like if the first movie makes a big deal out of Rey’s parents, they don’t need to know what will happen, but they should at least KNOW WHO HER PARENTS ARE AND WHAT THEY DID.

Just got back from it and had a blast. There were certainly issues which prevented it from being spectacular, but it hit the target I was hoping for.

Disney and Lucasfilms’ newest Star Wars pic finished Wednesday with $258.9 million domestically and $259.9 internationally for a global total of $516.8 million as it races toward the $1 billion mark.

Haven’t read this thread in a week (too busy traveling to bother arguing with people for the sole purpose of arguing) but on my way to go see it now for my birthday. After dinner, of course. A rare date night with just me and the wife as kids get grandparent duty.

Oh yeah, I am ready.

Saw this today. Always nice having the week between Christmas and New Years off. Anyway, wasn’t sure what to expect, given the negative/mixed reaction here.

And I don’t know what everyone is complaining about. I liked it. Not as much as TLJ, but more than TFA. I’ll save the other comments (eventually) for the spoiler thread.

Going to have to simmer on it myself.

My short and spoiler free thoughts: there were two things I was hoping they would not do, that they did. Ultimately the execution of both was good enough I did not mind in practice.

Overall rating positive. Though I must concede that claims of force creep which I thought overblown? Yeah it was real. Especially the light show. Not enough to ruin it or anything, but definitely a power up, beyond simply the technical ability to execute (which is the Vader-Obi Wan fight issue, fight choreography and tech at the time was too limited to execute on vision.)

It ends up I don’t care much for this trilogy but I have discovered that I really love Rey’s theme.

I think you mean music, and yeah her’s finally came through in this one.

Yes I meant the score. Not the garbage narrative.

Yeah, I don’t remember the scene anymore, but I remember when Rey’s theme came on, it really slammed home for me in that moment.