Star Wars Episode VII - Wretched Hive of Rumor and Spoilers Thread

So, unlike the 70s, we don’t have anyone who is willing to act in movies who is not a prettyboy? That’s kind of a shame.

Oddly enough, I watched the Ep7 bluray last night to study the script and pacing.

That line might be valid in isolation, was completely different in tone from Poe’s interaction with Von Sydow’s character, which was ultra-serious. And not exactly the same tone as all the killing (including Von Sydow’s character about minute before at the hands of Kylo) that was done immediately before, either. I’d actually be surprised to hear that it Poe’s un-serious line was not a deliberate choice to make a jarring shift in tone, to “send a message” about how this isn’t the Lucas SW anymore. I don’t think much in this movie was the result of oversight.

Once again, not wrong just personal opinion. Quite a few people found the relationship so engaging that they have actually petitioned for Poe and Finn to be written as a gay couple.

Quite a few people want to turn every fictional property they run across into slashfic. I’m not sure that proves anything other than that quite a few people are very, very odd.

I get why you disagree with this because its apparent that the attempt at humor by the narrator went right over your head.

I thought we weren’t getting personal here?

Kylo is a petulant man-child who is prone to over the top bursts of anger whenever things do not go his way. One of his troops betrayed him and his cause and you think he does not take that personally? I cant see him taking it any other way. Also, two people calling a traitor, “traitor” isnt coincidence, its common sense usage of language. Your point about the cultish nature of the First Order only amplifies the fact that both took Finn’s betrayal very personally.

Your point is that two different individuals happened to say the same thing, big deal. Dess’ point was that they used the same word because cults are about the dissolution of the individual in favor of the collective dogma. What did you say earlier about points sailing over heads?

I assumed Kylo yells “TRAITOR” at Finn for the same reason anonymous stormtrooper #28 yells it at him before pulling off some sick spins with his baton. Word went out in the First Order that Finn is a traitor and should be treated as such.

If Kylo felt personally betrayed by Finn’s leaving, I doubt he would’ve used it to tweak General Hux over the reliability of his training program.

christ. Was watching this at work on my second monitor and the next video to auto-play was a top-ten-korean-sex-film compilation replete with nudity and gyrations… somewhere somebody crossed the streams. Thankfully I’m on headphones.

My understanding is that what comes next in youtube nowadays is the result of your own youtube watching history and/or that from your IP address. I watch gazillion speedruns on different games and it serves me gazillion more speedruns of other games, and so on. So if youtube decides to play top-ten-korean-sex-film compilation, well, you and people on your IP may be somewhat responsible.

No, the streams definitely seem crossed on this one. I have a cookie whitelist which youtube is not on, so I get a relatively “clean” slate of recommendations. For this, I got the really weird mix of:

Free Movies for Kids - Comedy Animation Movie - Inside Out
Homefront Full Movie English - Jason Statham Full Movies
Korean Drama 2016 - Top 10 Romance Movies
Ghayal Once Again | Hindi Movies 2015 Full Movie | Sunny Deol Movies | Hindi Movies | Soha Ali Khan
Hot B’Grade Movie (HD) -Miss Teacher{HD} - Hindi Full Movie
Bollywood Full Movies 2016 # Bad Girls # New Hindi Movies 2016 # New Movies 2016
Walt Disney Movies Full Length - New Kids Movies for Children - Animated Cartoon for Kids
Action Movies ( 2015 ) - Best Action Hollywood Movie - New Movies (2015) Full

Action, kids stuff, bollywood “bad girls”, dramas??!

Now back to your star wars discussion.

The best way to meet that guy is to check out his performance in Hail, Caesar! He’s fantastic. Hilarious, charming, and utterly genuine. Not just a pretty boy, despite his unfortunate resemblance to Kellan Lutz in that picture up there. He’s also in an upcoming movie I’m really pysched to see called Yellow Birds. It’s an adaptation of a novel that I consider a sort of All Quiet on the Western Front about the war in Iraq.

-Tom

Would Harrison Ford not be considered a pretty boy of his time though?

Well, Ford was 35 when Star Wars released, and I always thought he looked a bit neanderthal-ish in ANH (whereas I find him Peak Handsome in Empire) so, I dunno. In any case Ehrenreich seems like a really good choice. Jesus it could have been Miles f-cking Teller.

The darkest timeline.

It could be the tags associated with the video to show up in searches, ie, he thinks people looking for Korean sex drama would love to watch his star wars video.

Watched it. Meh, it was ok.

There were some truly cringe worthy moments. The female lead is basically good at EVERYTHING without any experience or training. Some of this could be explained by star wars universe stuff, but (in my opinion) not to this degree.

The male lead is also very mixed. I’m not sure how much of this is his fault vs the script, but he goes back and forth.

Overall, all of the characters are worse than the previous movies and certain returning characters cannot carry the film. The villains are particularly bad. I laughed when a certain villain revealed their face, it was almost a space balls reveal moment. Then another enemy has zero explanation and just appears out of nowhere (while also looking like he is a silly enemy from space balls).

The script also appears 95% pulled from previous star wars movies, mostly the first one. If this is your first star wars, this is probably not as big as an issue, but i still remember enough of them that it annoyed me.

There was not a single fight i felt was well done and star wars epic in this entire movie, which was greatly disappointing. I know a lot of people did not like the previous trilogy, and i felt it had its problems, but there were some really good light saber fights and space battles in it. Not so here.

Oh i guess this is the spoiler thread

[ul]
[li]Rey is an instant jedi master. She not only learns force powers on her own to a high degree of power but also beats Kylo Ren in a saber fight. Both with no training AT ALL. Remember the scene where Luke beats vader in the first movie before he even meets Ben? Probably not. Why do they even need luke to save the day?[/li][li] Rey, who has no experience flying space ships is instantly a master pilot and knows everything about space ships[/li][li] There is a fully functional space ship just sitting around with the doors open on their desert planet at the start. Obviously it is the milenium falcon[/li][li]Who the fuck is the main enemy sith lord? He comes out of complete nowhere, unless the next movie reveals him to be the emperor. He also looks like golem[/li][li]They picked the wrong actor to play Kylo Ren. Kylo Ren in general is just a terrible villain. What a joke.[/li][li]Even though the rebels destroyed the death star with smaller fighters in the first one, they remake the new death star with the exact same vulnerabilities (which results in the exact same scene). For the love of god, build some AA turrets instead of just turbo lasers which are used against capital ships.[/li][/ul]

Okay, reddit.

You should really watch this review:

I seriously can’t believe that some people missed the fact that Rey is a scavenger who’s lived on her own her entire life and is obviously a skilled fighter with a weapon, long before anything related to Jedis come into her life.

And the fight between Rey and Kylo - and its outcome - makes perfect sense when you actually pay attention to what’s going on in each scene, the events which led up to it, and specifically how Kylo was injured.

Even on my first viewing I knew the assertions of “Rey had no training” and “Rey has never flown a ship before” are absurdly wrong.

suuuuuure

[ul]
[li]I thought you said the fights were terrible? That’s probably because Kylo Ren actually sucks at using a light saber and Rey had no training. Kylo was also badly injured and fought two different people and still would have won had he not inadvertently clued Rey into listening to the Force, which she has subconsciously used all her life.
[/li][li]She has experience flying and repairing ships. She’s been crawling around inside the Falcon since she was a little kid.
[/li][li]It’s almost like there is some unexplained history connecting the larger events to this planet or something. Weird.
[/li][li]That’s Snoke. He runs the Lords of Ren, and the First Order. Both Ren and the Ginger General are shown taking orders from him. Not sure how that’s confusing.
[/li][li]I think he’s great. Kylo is a petulant child of a villain and Driver pulls that off really well.
[/li][li]It didn’t have the exact same vulnerabilities at all. Infact the assault would have failed had the team on the ground not planted all those bombs which created an opening just big enough for only the most talented pilot in the galaxy to fly through.
[/li][/ul]

My answers to your concerns are contained within.

This movie has a lot more to unpack then your basic action flick, so I wonder if people actual pay enough attention to it when it’s on.

I heard the same line of defense from hardcore Matrix fans defending its execrable sequels. Supposition is not unpacking.

Lol. Big dumbed down action flick has lot to unpack. Now sure, I’ll grant you there are things we do not yet know (including stuff like Rey’s history), but on the scale of 1 to Primer, this barely gets out of the starting block.

Why is it obvious that she’s a skilled fighter? How are we supposed to know she’s flown a ship before? What does being a scavenger have to do with either one of those skills? No where in the movie do they at all explain those skill sets, they just show that she has them. I never understood the logic behind Rey having skills because she’s a scavenger. What does bringing in scrap have to do with fighting or flying or anything bug finding scrap?