Star Wars: The Last Jedi - Episode VIII

There’s still a scene at the beginning of Fellowship where Sauron is laying waste to the army of elves and men. It’s a cool, thrilling moment and an impressive display of power. Rogue One’s Vader moment is pretty similar.

Probably because every scene with them looked like a Star Wars themed birthday party.

I didn’t feel bad at all, I was too busy going “What? WTF? You go Jedi to murdering kids in the space of 5 minutes?”.

So let me start out by saying I liked The Force Awakens, and since it is always on Starz and we get it free I have seen it many times and still enjoy it.

We saw The Last Jedi on Saturday, in a 85% full theater that was pretty into the film. After seeing it I was a little split. There are parts of it I really enjoyed, but I also thought it was full of holes and was at least 1/2 hour to long and should have ended after an earlier event.

I bought into Driver much more in this movie, and Hamill was the star of the movie.

Maybe I need to see it again, and I probably will on TV later, but I just think they did too much with too little actual plot. Finishing as they did maybe now they can concentrate on the end of the trilogy instead of seeing how many call backs they can make and how much air time they can give people.

That’s a good point.

So hey! I finally saw The Last Jedi last night, sneaked out after the kids went to sleep to a late show. On the downside, it was a 3D showing. On the upside, I really enjoyed the movie! I’ve read a bunch of the criticisms you guys have and I get them, but I don’t feel them. They just don’t bother me the way they seem to bother you guys, maybe I just don’t revere the Star Wars movies, any of them, like I used to. They’re just another item of disposable entertainment for me these days. Getting old, blah blah.

That said, the main reason I really enjoyed the movie was that it showed me stuff I haven’t seen before, and it managed to surprise me. And I can’t remember the last time a Star Wars movie did either. I still remember the sinking feeling 11-year-old me felt watching Return of the Jedi on opening night, realizing that the movie was going to be serving up another Death Star. Then when I saw The Force Awakens, it started off so promising, then they showed the Starkiller thing and I felt the pieces falling back into predictable places. This movie didn’t do that - it certainly referenced earlier films and showed us, I don’t know, references to them, but it twists them. This movie seems almost like a deconstruction of Star Wars films. I loved it, for the most part.

I dug the weird, almost twisted love story thing going on between Rey and Kylo. “You’re nobody, but not to me.” I loved Benicio del Toro’s character, and his playing of that character. I’d pay good money to watch that amoral con man in his own movie. I enjoyed all the heroic characters not being able to stand up for falling down, just failing left and right. I liked the fatalistic resignation most of the First Order seem to show - “Sir, rebel bombers heading right for us.” “Well of course they are.” or something like that. I kinda liked what happened with Leia - when she extended her hand I felt like I knew what she would do - oh, she’s going to force pull herself back to the ship, and she did!

What didn’t I like? For one thing, this movie felt long. It was like The Return of the King in that it seemed to have multiple endings, had to wrap up all of its dramatic movements in sequence I guess. I agree with you all that the secrecy around Holdo’s (sp?) gambit seemed unnecessary, I don’t know why they couldn’t fill everyone in. Did they think someone would desert and sell them out? And while I don’t have a problem with, well, that person’s fate though it did seem a bit anticlimactic.

But overall, thumbs up from me. I’m probably interested in watching again, and I haven’t yet seen The Force Awakens a second time. Probably ought to watch Rogue One at some point I guess.

If that’s your metric, then you’d love Caligula.

It’s one of my metrics, and Caligula certainly kept me watching.

Yeah what’s wrong with Caligula? It was a certainly a trip to watch. My mother often tells me the 70s were just fun. That movie makes me believe there was a lot of fun behind it.

Star Wars are adventure movies, and the excitement, the surprise of not knowing what’s going to happen next is pretty important. It’s something that is missing in most adventure films from the last 10 years.

I listen to various podcasts while doing my exercises. It was very hard doing my crunches while chuckling at Kelly’s opsis.

I really feel like the deleted scenes of Luke mourning Han, and the caretaker village raid lesson should’ve been in the movie.

Well they could have dumped all of Canto stuff and most of the boring chasing of the ship then there would be plenty of time to add all these scenes. Might have made it into a decent movie…then again probably not.

Which was worse? Mini Jedis or Ewoks?

One had annoying screams (and the name is “Jedi younglings”), the other annoying Yub Nub songs. Hmmmm. Hard choice. ;)

Kettch will remember that.

You convinced me. Ewoks it is. Burn them all!

Kettch is the only good Ewok.

I was the right age when Ewoks appeared, so I feel a lot of nostalgia for them, actually. :)

Star Wars fans not liking Ewoks was sorta like Public Enemy not liking Driving Miss Daisy. :)