Steam gift pile

Mine was the Odd Box set, and I didn’t have two of them so I kept it.

Pretty cool.

I sent a message to the guy.

He got 83 coals, almost 40 free games (including DOTA2), and “many more accounts to create & activate”.

WTH valve

Well this was well thought out.

I just turned in my 7 coal and got Bad Rats :(

This is why you don’t turn in coal.

That also explains why I couldn’t seem to login half the time that first day of the sale. I wonder how many thousands of people were making 2nd, 3rd and 20th accounts just to nab the two freebies to gift to their main account? Seems like a hell of a lot of work to go through just to score a couple of freebies.

Better than the nothing you’ll get from the 1 in a million raffle. Ok well, most things are better than nothing.

It’s Bad Rats we’re talking about. That’s the very definition of the argument against trying for a bonus gift.

If you get something worthwhile, then that’s a totally different story.

Doesn’t Steam have ways of sniffing this kind of thing out? Like catching multiple new accounts coming in from the same IP address, or multiple new accounts all gifting to one established account - or is there some easy way around all this that my shenanigan-impaired brain can’t figure out?

A co-worker got his 7th piece of coal from the Dungeons of Dredmor achievement, and used it to make a coupon for 50% off Dungeons of Dredmor. I lol’ed.

I did amend my statement there. I just think the random gift/useless coupon sweepstakes is a far better chance for something than the win it all lottery.

I got 50% off Doom 3 and 50% off for the X -Superbox (all games in the X series, including the new Albion Prelude) for whoever wants it.
Both usable between January and March.

You know, I might actually want that. I’m waffling on the X-Superbox and probably won’t get it this winter sale. Just wish these worthless coupons lasted longer than 90 days. Anyway, post it in the trading thread, not this one.

Just spent 30 minutes playing Spiral Knights to get the achivement. My reward: piece of coal. (and 30 minutes of fun learning how to play Spiral Knights!)

I got Half Life and HL Ep 1. Is there anyone in the world (or this forum?) that does not have this and want it? If so, PM me.

Oh shit, you don’t get to choose which game you get for coal, and it stops the coals from coming to you? Bah!

Wait, what? If you redeem seven pieces of coal you can…never get any more coal?

No, it’s just a poorly worded entry in their rules. They mean that by crafting seven pieces of coal into something, you won’t get another piece of coal from the crafting. You’ll actually get a game or a coupon. More coal could always be forthcoming from completing more achievements.

Blam, I deleted the post right after posting as I noticed that the X superbox is 50% off right now anyway.

I guess I’ll just post all my coupon stuf after the sale is over in the trading thread.

The save file worked, took me 5 mins stumbling around with the crappy controls to roast a bird and a squirrel outside the cabin

Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up. I see folks saying they can trade coal too, but I can’t figure out how that’s possible…