Steam Summer Sale 2014 - Gems / Hot Deals / Take Ma' Money

Release date is 6/30

Anyone want to comment on it if it’s almost ready for 1.0 release?

Hell, I had a blast playing it almost 6 weeks ago, and it’s gotten four or five major updates/patches since then. Will it be bug-free at launch? Unlikely, it’s a huge RPG, but it should be pretty awesome.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is also a daily deal folks - 3.75$

Watch the trailer and you’ll know if you’d love it or not.

Yeah. I shouldn’t have gotten my hopes up for anything better. Gambling with sale cards was a bad idea this time… bah.

I’m a little surprised they didn’t include items for DOTA 2 & CS:GO. Those are the folks who go crazy for cosmetics. I can’t even try to count the # of people I’ve seen ingame with 100$ pieces of equipment.

The conceit in Blood Dragon is fun but the visual effects were so unpleasant I couldn’t play it for more than an hour. Be warned if you have a similar reaction to neon blurs in fuzzy darkness. The world is also much less interesting than standard Far Cry 3.

Your feedback pushed me over the edge and snagged Divinity up, and oooooohhhhh 3 shiny cards!!! My quest to 3k total spent has begun.

Steam search is broken, so here’s a link.

DayZ is 15% off? That’s not really a sale, is it?

I have so many unplayed games blah blah but Xenonaughts and Skyrim Legendary at great prices are probable buys.

Seriously. I read through the description of the meta-game twice and still can’t quite see how it’s worth anyone’s time. As far as I can tell it boils down to:

Earn “points” by crafting game badges to earn Summer cards (and items). Craft Summer badges to earn even more points. These points go into a pool of points generated by your randomly assigned “team”. At the end of each day of the sale, the team with the most points wins. What do they win? Anyone who contributed a point or more to the winning team wins two Summer Cards and the chance to be one of 30 team members who are gifted 3 games off their wishlist. Anyone on any of the losing teams who contributed a point that day gets 1 free Summer Card.

So essentially it’s an elaborate scheme to get you to spend money on games (to earn Summer Cards) and cards from the marketplace (to craft game badges) , all so you can have a one in ten-thousand or more shot at winning three free games off your wishlist. You’d be better off just picking three games off your wishlist, waiting for them to be daily or flash deals, and spending the money on them, then selling off your Summer Cards.

Shadowrun DLC is 40% off, the cheapest I’ve ever seen it, but not a daily or flash deal or community vote. So holding off for now.

I’ve been doing well playing games from my backlog (mostly just games from the last two winter holiday sales left), so the list of games I’m looking out for is pretty small.

Divinity doesn’t help that though, since that’s one of the alpha games I’ve been waiting on for release. I’ve got an eye on a couple indie games, too.

Which leaves:
Saint’s Row IV
Dominique Pamplemousse
Kairo

I should check to see if my wishlist is current, but most of the stuff I’ve been eyeing is on that. I’ve been waiting to see if Don’t Starve showed up again, and indeed, it’s a daily special. Other than that, the only thing I really want is more gaming time so I can whittle down my backlog.

Xenonaughts is out? When did this happen? Wasn’t that one of those nebulous ‘sometime this decade’ projects? I suppose Summer of 2014 is technically sometime this decade though. Is it the X-Com game everyone was waiting for?

Oooh… I bought the iPad version for $5 and have enjoyed it enough so far to buy the base game on PC.

I used to love me some shadowrun stories (principally in the RPG books). Any chance you bought the deluxe edition and can comment on the quality of the short stories in the Anthology included with it?

Peep the thread

DayZ is on for only 15% off… was hoping for more of a discount

Is DayZ still eligible for another sale further down the road in this set of Summer Sale? That is, should I wait for it to see if it reappears on the sale list with a deeper discount?

Yup. Looking over my wishlist the baseline discounts are kind of a letdown too. Not sure I’ll be buying any of them come the end of the sale. Well, going over it again I might burn up my card-money picking up some pinball tables. I dunno. I’ll see.

One kinda cool thing though, even though basically all the summer sale event items are just cosmetic shit, it looks like Duel of Champions is passing out premade decks. The cheapest of which I just bought on the Steam market for 7 cents. Not a big fan of DoC but if I can pick up a couple decks using Steam card money that’s nice.

Not really. Daily deals/flash deals/community deals are generally the best price something’s gonna be during a sale. I can’t really think of any that didn’t follow that rule except for price mistakes.

You guys are so jaded! I have almost all of these games on the main sale page (the ones I wanted, at least), so sure, it’s not a great sale for me personally. But all the games I own that are on the sale page are outstanding titles for a crazy price. Have they been this price before? Well, sure, of course, but not recently or anything. The Witcher 2 for $4!? Don’t Starve is amazing and you can pick it up for $3.74. That’s a LOT of game for less than four bucks. Farcry 3 is very much worth eight dollars, as is Sins Rebellion and Xcom EU. I already endorsed Original Sin above, but I will mention it again here - this game is worth twice the $32 it is right now.

I’ve never played or been much interested in DayZ or Dead Rising , or some of the other stuff (I did hear great things about Hotline Miami and its a dollar freaking fifty!) so I can’t say it’s the best thing ever, but to say there is “nothing good today” is factually incorrect, at least in my opinion! :)

I didn’t, no, sorry.