STEAM Summer Sale 2018

Heh. I’m the opposite. There’s a big chance MHW will be my GOTY 2018, but I can only play it on PC, and it’s not there yet. Slay the Spire is good, sure, but I think MH is more of my thing. ;)

What? Is there something on my face?

You’re not the only “Brian” you know…oh…wait…

That sounds like a good approach.

So a big Thank You to @lordkosc (and others) for posting the Paypal $5 off $30 deal, which I used to purchase the following off my Steam wishlist:

• Divinity : Original Sin - Enhanced Edition - $11.99 (70%) I somehow never got around to owning/playing this before now.

• Fall of Light (bundled) - $3.70 (75%) thanks to the bundle discount magic of already owning King’s Bounty Darkside.

• Low Magic Age - $3.59 (40%) I’ve been eyeing this for awhile now and a recent patch fixed many bugs and improved the UI, so…

• Balrum - $4.49 (70%) Another long time wishlist game that recently received a patch. Been craving an old-school iso RPG lately.

• Heroes of a Broken Land - $3.74 (75%) Been waiting for this to appear in a bundle, but no such luck, so I finally bit. Turn-based dungeon-crawling town-builder…yes please.

• Spintires : Mud Runner - $2.99 (90%) I own the first game from a bundle, and Mud Runner is supposed to be a superior version in every way, and priced like a DLC…I’m looking forward to trying it out.

All of that came to exactly $30.50, which means $25.50 after Paypal knocked off the $5. That’s an additional $0.83 off each game’s already historic low price. DEAL.

Now if only Paypal could add an extra day to every weekend for me so I could find time to play all these new games…

I think I’m done for now.

Had to find something to take advantage of the Paypal offer, so for now…

• Completed the Not a Metroidvania bundle with Dead Cells, Salt & Sanctuary, and Sundered
  • Press X to Not Die
  • Republique
  • Firewatch
  • Metro Warp

which set me back $32.63 after the discount and knocked some games I’d been really interested in off the wishlist.

What…is… this? Never heard of it. How did I miss this?

Meanwhile, so far:

Bought:
Slay the Spire
X Rebirth

Refunded:
X Rebirth

That refund is more about my life than the game. I installed and played a while and realized this is a deep complex thing that I really don’t have time for. Slay the Spire on the other hand is playable in five minute chunks. It is perfect for my life at this point, though I still crave depth and complexity.

I haven’t really “partaken” in the last few Steam sales, because I’ve basically bought everything already and the sales themselves haven’t been all that good. So in an effort to buy 0 games I cleared my wishlist entirely.

But yet for some reason this Summer Sale I bought a load of cheap rubbish and have probably bought more individual games than the first few Steam sales (where I kind of went purchase-crazy).

Bought:

Thimbleweed Park                    £8.99
Slay the Spire                      £7.55
ThunderWheels                       £5.39
Revenge of the Titans               £4.66
Heart's Medicine - Time to Heal     £2.49
Super Grav                          £3.49
Dream Quest                         £3.49
Lara Croft GO                       £1.99
The Red Solstice                    £1.79
Rescue Team 7                       £1.74
Monster Slayers                     £1.49
Glass Masquerade                    £1.39
MOAI 4: Terra Incognita Collector’s Edition  £0.83
IsoBoom                             £0.79
Fate Tectonics                      £0.71
Dreamals: Dream Quest               £0.69
The Promised Land                   £0.49
Ballad of Solar                     £0.49
Free road                           £0.47
Dustoff Heli Rescue                 £0.39
Rescue Team 1                       £0.39

Almost Bought But Didn’t

Objects in Space – I knew nothing about this game, but it looked so unique that I felt compelled to buy it. It also looked a tad boring…

Finished

Thimbleweed Park

Refunded

ThunderWheels

That refund is more about the game than my life. I installed and played a while and realized that this is a crappy shallow thing that I really don’t have time for. Slay the Spire on the other hand is playable in five minute chunks. It is perfect* for my life at this point, though I still crave clones of Ivan “Ironman” Stewart’s Super Off Road.

* Actually I’ve not played Slay the Spire yet. I bought it based purely on HYPE here and on the Steam reviews. It looks like trash and i’d even set it as “not interested” at one point.

Amazing game and great choice.

Balrum was a Kickstarter project by two Hungarian developers who wanted to make an old-school RPG that incorporated a lot of crafting. The game is more focused on casual than combat, with crafting and building and exploring being key elements, but you do fight as well, and eventually can craft yourself some pretty good combat gear. If you enjoyed the Eschalon series and liked the crafting aspects of the old Ultima Online, you’ll probably enjoy Balrum quite a bit.

I think it look great, but it mostly reminds me I bought Eschalon book III and didn’t play more than like 30 minutes of it. I should really take a look at that.

But I also have $4.80 in my steam wallet from selling cards, so I may have to grab this while it’s on sale. Thanks for bringing it into my eye-line!

Some of the Steam reviews say it is crash-tastic. Have you found that? And no alt-tab?

I have Balrum. I haven’t had it crash yet, and I can’t remember if I have tried alt-tab, probably. I am not sure how much I like the game.

My damage:
$2.99 Jazzpunk
$2.99 Year Walk
$3.99 Little Red Lie
$4.99 The Magic Circle
$8.99 INSIDE
$8.99 Gorogoa

Also note that if you have that Paypal $5 discount, tomorrow’s the last day to use it, not the last day of the sale.

So far, for me it had been the aforementioned Star Traders: Frontiers and Spintires: Mudrunner, but I was posting on /r/gamedeals daily Steam sale thread about Halcyon 6, when someone up and offered me a free key for it, yay! So I added the OST+art book+Precursors upgrade to that.

May still buy the France DLC to ETS 2.

Terroir

Installed it two nights ago, finally managed to unlock some high level tech. it’s still under work. The last update will add wine blending which sounds promising.

Basically you manage canopy to get the ripeness to stay between the ideal target of 5-6. Then you process the numbers. This is a casual game, the type you can play on a tablet while browsing TV.

Got 9 hours out of it, so not too bad.

So it’s just Thimbleweed Park and Slay the Spire for me.

I ended up buying a bunch of games on the Switch around the same time though,so overall hit to the wallet’s sizable :)

• Valve Complete Pack
  • Deus Ex Collection
  • Aliens vs Predator (2010)
  • Spintires + Mudrunner (thanks for the tip)
  • GTA V
  • Freeman: Guerilla Warfare