Street Fighter 6: Live services

No Cammy in the open beta, so half the Internet is probably skipping this.

The beta is back, and I’m back to flailing around like an idiot. I need a week in the training mode when this game comes out.

This is one of my most anticipated games but I’m really annoyed by the experience so far. There’s so much bullshit to navigate to get into a match. Sign a bunch of waivers, create an avatar, go through multiple trainings, try to navigate the 3d battle lounge without a second analog stick to change the view (don’t they know how many people play in fight sticks?). Get into a match and my controls are all wrong because they default to something new I guess optimized for controllers. Change them. Get into another match. Controls are still wrong. I don’t know if the game is good yet but the first impressions are pretty bad. Kinda dig the smooth jazz in the battle lounge though.

45 minutes after loading and I think I finally have my controls right. Turns out each character has their own controls setting and they all default to classic and override the global setting.

Hah, I remember those days. Fortunately it saves all the settings between betas, except for screen resolution for some reason.

I still don’t know how to navigate the world with an arcade stick. Supposedly it’s possible.

Trying to beta to see if this will be my first Street Fighter, and I’m really fond of the modern controls since I don’t have a fight stick and the directional pad in my Xbox360 controller isn’t the best. Not sure how well they’ll work for all characters, but they work pretty well for Ryu and the like.

I’m pretty bummed that the single player mode seems designed for dual stick and I prefer fight stick. Had the same problem with MK with the Crypt where I had to switch to gamepad for that mode. There was also a mode where you had to use the gamepad to activate certain stage effects. Might just have to finally learn gamepad though I will say a stick is much better on my arthritis. I can play shooters on a gamepad fine but fighting games tend to cramp me fast.

The gameplay seems ok for now. I’m a little concerned about perfect parries, but from what I’m reading the scaling is really huge on those combos.

Played about 40 matches, lost 6 (5 to same person who had obviously grinded things out hard). Kimberly is kinda fun, but I want a grappler and there’s none of those in the beta.

I do think in the final version, you’ll be able to just play casual/ranked matches and skip the battle hub stuff.

I found you can skip the battle hub in the beta too. By pressing light punch you get a menu that includes a quick search for ranked or casual matches.

They don’t want the casuals to get pissed off and not buy the game!

Looks like that. With no grapplers and only one zoner, things are definitely less stressful for most players. :D

I’m under plenty of stress in gold rank! Even the silver players have more optimal combos than I do.

I’m in the stone rank. Just like in Bayonetta.

Wood League

I ended up in gold as well. My combos are pretty terrible, but I’m trying to learn the neutral more right now, as I suspect final version will be somewhat different (This is an old old build), and I doubt I"m playing any of these chars after this beta,

Well, like I said above, I’m definitely going to spend at least 10 hours in the training mode when the game comes out before I even play a match. I need to rebuild my arcade stick skills from the ground up. I fat finger multiple buttons all the time, I barely know how to dash, and I still can’t do a critical art cancel without mashing.

The basic gameplay makes sense to my brain. I just need some decent execution skills to go with it.

I guess all these silver players with perfect punish combos were too wimpy to pick gold when the beta offered them a choice at the beginning.

Despite that, the battle hub matches remain pretty fun. I played 7 or 8 games against a platinum player, winning two of them and even scoring a perfect one round. But these experts slowly squeeze me to death after they learn all my strategies!

Maybe I’m getting too old for this shit, but I’m frequently amazed at the reaction speeds I’m seeing from people on drive impact punishes with a drive impact of their own. Even when I see it coming most of the time and feel like I have the punish ready I cannot seem to press the buttons fast enough.

Folks watch for it hard in the corner, which it leads to guaranteed damage. In some cases its anticipatory knowing the opponent will try to drive impact through a frametrap.

I think some more practice will help. It’s kind of awkward to get both my fingers over to heavy buttons in a fraction of a second. Even better would probably be to map it to one of the extra buttons. If it isn’t already…I tend to never use them. I assume that and the parry combo would be worthwhile to have faster access to.