Super Mario Odyssey - ♬★ Jump Up, Super Star! ★♬

Digging for Switch threads reminded me to post in this one. I completed the first? story last night! Holy crap, that last Kingdom and the stuff to get to the end, wow! This game makes me so happy when I play it. I almost didn’t want to “finish” it because it was just too cool! I already briefly went to other places and I’m almost overwhelmed now by how much there is to do after the game is over. Gah!

The really awesome thing is if I left it right here forever, I still love it so much, and yet there’s tons more to do. Anyone can get their money’s worth from this one and @wumpus, I suspect this IS the Super Mario 64 sequel you always wanted. You’ll go nuts.

Out of curiosity, how long is this game? Not to 100% it necessarily, but at least to get a “full” experience from it? The last game in the series I put any real time in was SMB3, so I’m not quite sure what to expect.

I’m not sure what you mean by “full experience”. You can play through the story part in something like 6 hours. But the game only gets better after that.

I would say like 15 hours? It depends on how quickly you want to go through the story.

Thanks! That helps. I honestly had no idea if this was under 5 hours or over 40.

It took me around 10-15 hours to do a light play-through of every level once, without much exploration, beat the final boss, and see credits.

Doing all of that was a lot of fun, but the stuff which comes after that is a lot better than what came before it.

Excuse me everyone but…fuck jumping rope, fuck it right in its ear.

I had heaps of trouble finding a rhythm with that, too. I recommend pressing jump when the rope’s directly above you, and you should have no problem reaching 30.

It’s the second one. 30 was easy.

Getting the second moon made me want to pull my hair out. I ended up giving up after trying a dozen or so times, turning the Switch off, and when I returned to the next day, I got into some kind of flow state and beat it with my first attempt, but I bet I could never pull it off a second time.

Volleyball is much easier!

Yeah, what a great problem to have!

I’m now working my way through doing the 100% moons/coins on each level, up to the Wooded Kingdom so far. Plenty more to go!

I’ve got over 35 hours and the game still calls to me during the day when I’m meant to be working. :)

Man, it’s kind of crazy how many more abilities you seem to have with the joycons undocked. It seems like half the possession targets have a new verb.

I’m also at the point where I feel like I’ve covered the entire world with moons, but then look at the list and have less than half of them.

How do the purchased moons work? You can buy them in increments of 10. Is there a limit?

Having played entirely in handheld mode, I think this is one of the big things that’s led to me being “done” with the game. There’s too much that you either can’t do or that button combos aren’t documented for in handheld mode. I’ll still play a bit to grab a moon or two but after the 300 moon unlock I don’t have any desire to hit 500 for the final area.

Honestly, it surprises me that so many people gave the game a perfect or near perfect score given the handheld limitation.

Really? Which moons? I played nearly 10 hours in handheld mode on planes in the last week and went from around 300 moons to 600+

There’s a max limit of total 999 moons I believe. Personally I’d save the coins for the outfits rather than buy moons.

I dunno about this game. I played through it, and she now after the main story.

I just don’t really like it. It’s kind of boring.

Oh well. Back the the drawing board, Nintendo.

The main story is boring and simple but moon hunting in the post game is a blast and where the game really shines. I’m just retreading old worlds right now and saving the new stuff for a long flight next week.

From what I’ve seen, it seems like there’s very little that’s actually impossible in docked mode, but a fair number of moons seem significantly easier.

In other words, git gud. (Not really).

I’m right above 500 moons and have played something close to 50/50 docked/undocked, but it has been rare that I’ve noticed a moon I cannot collect in handheld mode. What actions specifically? There are 2-3 that I’ve seen that require the ‘spin the hat around you’ move. There were maybe 1 or 2 that require you to shimmy up the pole quickly, and a couple others that didn’t require it but it helped. What other moves? From what I’ve seen, I find it hard to believe that there are more than 20 moons in the entire game that are significantly easier to collect with the extra moveset.

It’s fine if you’re not having fun anymore, but you should easily be able to get to 500 in handheld mode. I will say that so far I’ve only played the 500-moon area in handheld mode and there was a section (somewhat deep in) that was just too hard to do without detached to controllers.