Tainted Grail: Conquest, Wyrdness galore

Added!

I don’t know how far you are but building for score is extremely different than building for survival.

The Apostate have insane high score.

oh yeah new patch.

. . . . aaaaand I am back! Roguebook and Banners of Ruin stole me away, but after completing them max difficulty I need something new. Wow, this has already changed a bit in the last few months. Leaderboard, challenges? Awesome!

I see @von_Schmidt has gotten to the True Ending. Anyone else? And is there any hook to keep playing once that is done?

I haven’t. Definitely want to get back to it, but keep getting distracted

I have. There are tons of stuff to unlock. I think I was at 70% unlock at ~80 hours.

You can see how far you can go in difficulty, leaderboard, unlock more stuff, and now you have the extra 2 modes

Okay, I finished my first run as Apostate and . . . gee, it kinda feels like using the Apostate is “easy mode” and that it spoils you, with all other characters being either weaker or more fiddly.

Only difficulty 4, but I never once used a Wyrdcandle and took health damage maybe 6 times in total across the entire run.

Then . . . then I completed a run as Zealot, and it felt like I was playing as the bumbling, junior, not-too-promising apprentice of the Apostate :-P

. . . but now, I am loving the Pathfinder. My first added card is Final Blow, which is a 2 energy card doing 150% damage and which adds a permanent +10% damage for every enemy it kills. You absolutely bet I am going to curate this over the entire run to see how high I can get it. Maybe it will even get me into the top 500 on the leaderboard? Lets see!

My favourite class right now is the sentinel. I managed to reach the true boss with her, but didn’t go the distance against him.

I’m probably not using that class the best way, I can’t figure out how to use the quiver cards since they use ultimate charges and don’t seem to have a great return.

Is this because you have not tried Apostate yet? :-P

Similarly though, I found the Quiver cards to be a dilemma since they appear to present a direct trade off between damage now vs damage later, with the equation tilting in favour of excluding them from deck in order to have more things that do not conflict with building up the Ultimate ability.

Tried the new Misery Mode. It’s quite fun. Made it to 43 with the Pathfinder and died due to a stupid mistake on my part. I’m sure I could’ve made it to 50+ if I wasn’t so careless. Going to try again.

Edit. I’m pretty sure I hit top 10. Still going though…

Edit 2: Still going…

What’s misery mode?

It’s the new endless mode. There are 3 new modes.

Misery is the new endless mode

Now, why “Misery”? Mostly because this mode is the most hardcore one ;) There is no forgiveness on the enemy’s side and surviving every fight can be quite a challenge!

Power is the more ‘chill’ mode

This is our “chill mode”. Is it raining outside and you just want to chill a bit with some silly combos and crazy fights? Endless Powers is here for you! In this mode, fights you are going to face are not your “usual” ones - so be prepared to face 3 golems at once or some other crazy combinations ;)

Lastly, there’s the weekly challenge mode.

I gave apostate a go yesterday and even though I died pretty early but that was due to me being tired and not paying attention. The amount of barrier that can be created and consequent damage bonuses are huge.
One thing I didn’t understand is what the ultimate action do? It just flips all the current maneuvers? How is that useful?

A lot of maneuvers have a crappy side where you effectively pay a penalty for using the good sides. It lets you flip all of those back to the sides you want to use. So you might get, for example, a free energy, then duck the bad side. It also gives you a damage buff.

And you get some great options for making it better. Either directly or from things that boost based on how many cards you’ve flipped in a turn.

Gets a little crazy @ 106. I almost invincible though and should be able to get as high as I want unless the Exploding guys kill me. I just need to do 6K damage in 2 turns.

10 battles takes ~ 1 hour though so I might stop soon.

I found the Apostate Ultimate to be puzzling at first too and not just Apostate. Credit to the diversity of heroes to play, most of them require quite a bit of adjustment and learning to play well.

So, when starting out, the Apostate Ultimate not only flips cards but also gives you 200% damage + 50% for every Stance (Blue) card flipped. In the course of getting to 15 charge, you have probably played the flip side of the ‘Idea’ Stance card multiple times, this being the one that reduces enemy armor by 5 for every Stance card discarded. So at a minimum, you have several 100% damage boost to unleash against enemies with negative armor.

But it gets much, much better. There are passive skills that play flipped cards rather than just flipping them and draw an arrow card for each Stance card flipped.

My typical cadence of play for Apostate looks like this -

Prioritise armour boosting runestones so that the default Feint Stance cards become more effective, to the point that taking damage is rare and a small risk only

Prioritize playing of Stance cards including often playing the always in hand ‘Idea’ card twice (side 1 reduces next Stance card cost to 0, side 2 discards all Stances and reduces enermy armor by 5 for each card discarded)

When the opportunity is given, remove the Quiver cards from deck, since they slow down the accumulation of Ultimate Charge

Play Ultimate Charges, usually right away, but sometimes delaying for a turn in order to get more Stance cards in hand to flip for the extra 50% per card.

Once the Ultimate is played, each arrow is often doing 50, 100 or more damage. Get something like a Returning Arrow and that may be double or triple.

Make sure to have some stuns available, ideally replacing the initial Smoke Shot with a Bola Shot since the former adds armor to the enemy. Stuns are useful to counter the very few situations where an enemy has shield piercing attacks or the sum of attacks is going to exceed your shield.

I am on a Misery run somewhere around 40 fights now, and it is beginning to seem impossible that the Apostate can ever lose . . .

Keep on going! The #1 place on the leaderboard is 188 right now, you are over halfway! Go on, put your name up there :-P

. . . aaaand I wrote just a bit too soon. I am at Misery fight 45 now, but it looks like every fight following 40 gives a curse as a reward, with the curse being a negative to health, damage, armour or replacing an existing card with a random card. This will surely eventually cripple.

@Hereafter how the heck are you dealing with the curses? Or are you playing Endless Power instead of Curse maybe?

Nope not playing with Endless Power. I take the armor curse since nothing can damage me (besides the exploding guy) me it doesn’t matter how much damage they can do. The most I seen on my screen was ~120K in damage lol.

To quote myself

I messed up and did not take the unlimited damage scaling card so my run will probably will end in 10-20 rounds as I won’t be able to kill the exploding guy before they do 10K on my character.

Edit. And I lost. Top 3 at least. I really shouldn’t have chosen Whirlwind. Any other attack card would’ve gotten to to #1 easily. Probably won’t do this again as the rounds started to get extremely long.