Tell us what’s happened to you recently (that’s interesting) Part Deux

Absolutely nothing! Not a single thing. I was just annoyed that I was the only one in my family with kids, despite being the youngest by a fair margin.

If there is one thing I’ve noticed, its more fun to be the Uncle or Aunt then the actual parent. Also, I was supposed to live the care free life style, living off the coat tails of my more successful older brothers! The whole plan fell apart!

Of course, it didn’t help that I married an oldest child who had a plan of her own, which included having kids and being responsible.

Oh haha so you get to dispense wisdom and relief like mana from the heavens, nice!

@YakAttack get your head out of the gutter!

@legowarrior Are the social distancing restrictions loosening in your area? If you rush you might get there in time for some top-grade primo newborn baby snorts.

Dude, he has a kid. He knows full well the snorts aren’t for at least 3-4 months.

Just had a terrible day. Went through esophageal scans and tests which came out inconclusive so we still don’t know what’s going on with my throat closingoff, my ex made me feel like worthless garbage again, and during this I get an emergency text from my Mom that my Dad being rushed to the hospital with major internal bleeding. We can’t be with him due to covid, and still tonight we have no answers from the hospital ER of what’s going on and why it happened.

Was so happy with all the projects and stuff going on. Am so worried and feel a bit lost.

Oh man… so sorry to hear that Jeff. I hope they managed to stabilize your dad?
Hang in there! Just remember one step at a time and don’t let your ex throw you off.
Sending positive vibes from across the pond.

Damn, two steps forward, one step back.

(I really hope only one step back).

Keep stepping forward Jeff. You are a outstanding person. I pray that there is a light at the end of this tunnel.

Oh no Jeff, what a tsunami of bad luck you have had this past year. I so hope it turns around for you soon. Take care, and know we are all rooting for you. Never let anyone tell you you are worthless - fuck that, you have shown over and over what a good person you are.

So, big news. Starting June 8th, I will be leaving my quiet Work From Home Job as a TPA, to work for the Social Security Administration. I’ll be a Fed.

I have to be honest, I’m a bit surprised that I got the job. The position was only open for 4 days, the resume I sent was a mess (just butchered an old regular resume, but made sure it fit all the skills they were looking for). My only saving grace was that it was a Pathway Job, so only open to new Graduates (graduated in the last 2 years for civilians). Because I graduated in October 2018, I qualified!

The job is all downsides for the first year.
I will be back on the road again, driving 2 hours a day.
I will be making less as a GS-7
I’ll need to update my closet.
I’ll be paying more in gas and car maintenance.
I won’t be able to take an vacations for the first 11 months due to training.

On the plus side
After 1 year, I’ll move up to GS-9 and then GS-11 the year after. So after 1 year, I’ll be making a little more then I do now. After 2 years, a lot more (provide they keep me, which is no different from any other job).
Government Pension and Health Insurance, so that will cost less (it might balance out the initial salary loss)
Extra time off for sickness
Better options available after working for 2 years.
Oh, and tax free Student Loan Forgiveness. I’m on the Compensation Based Student Loan Payment, but with the Government, whatever is left after 10 years is tax free.

The odd part is, I do start on June 8th, with a long phone call. And then I’m put on Paid Administrative Leave until the offices open up. So… vacation of sorts? Maybe?

Anyway, this career change was not easy for me. I really like my job, but with the times that are coming, even though I think the company will survive, I think I would rather hunker down with the US government. Also, those Student Loans are like a Sword of Damocles hanging over my head!

In other news, the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association has created a new certificate program for people with 30 credit hours and experience with Speech Pathology, but don’t have a Master’s Degree. So, its a certification that my wife can definitely get, allowing her to find more work in the field.

Last time she worked in the field (5 years ago), it was as an aide. It paid well for a position that didn’t require a Bachelor’s degree, but now that there is an an in between position being create, she should be able to make a little more money, while doing more with clients. Hopefully, she’ll be apply to some positions in 2021, when we final feel a bit safer.

That sounds like great news! Best of luck, hope everything works out with the new job.

Seems like a great option for you @legowarrior !

I hope so. I am most nervous about getting back on the long commute. The kids were a lot younger when I did it last time, so hopefully it will be easier on my wife this time around.

It’s only dead time in your day if you let it be! I found I like a ~20 minute commute. Builds in some time for podcasts and provides a mental transition between home and work. Working at home I missed that.

20 minutes would be fine, but I’m looking at 2 hours a day in the car again.

That’s definitely a lot. Podcasts and audiobooks will definitely be your friend. Having Android Car or Apple Carplay to read your text messages and enable you to reply handsfree may be worthwhile too.

Sounds like a well thought out plan! Hopefully a lot of the driving is at consistent speeds.

I hope so. I worked in that region about 3 years ago, about 25 minutes way. I’m hoping the route will be similar in that it will be quiet country roads with the last leg being a highway. Maybe I will try to drive the route this weekend.

When you move up through GS levels, does starting at a new level reset your steps? Or if you’re a GS-9 with time for step 3 and you go to GS-11, do you become a GS-11 step 1, or step 3?

Congrats, though.

I think it does. But Step 1 GS 9 is still higher then Step 1 GS 7, and the same for Step 1 GS-11 to GS 9.

I think it would an issue if I was Step 5 or Step 6, but since I should be a GS-7 for only 1 year, it should be an issue.