The Ascent - Isometric Cyberpunk Twin-Stick Shooter RPG

Thankfully I got the tutorial window for hacking which is good. That would have been annoying.

Really digging this so far.

Ok, lets see if I can get through this by Sunday when my PC Game Pass expires.

I played through to the Title sequence. I’m really digging it so far. Just so many little details. I’m not used to ARPGs or twin stick shooters being so visually rich and detailed. The music really sets the mood well too.

I’m still early yet (about level 7), but so far I kind of agree with that Eurogamer review. It’s absolutely gorgeous, and while the writing so far hasn’t been hugely engaging/original, it’s still more interesting than in 99% of ARPGs/twin stick shooters. But the gameplay does feel a bit off. I like the introduction of a cover system, which is not something you usually see in these games, but I haven’t quite got the hang of it yet and it seems like you’re constantly being jumped from behind anyway. And the loot is pretty unsatisfying so far, not least because it seems like, at least for guns, you never drop anything outright better than what you have now, because you have to upgrade them first using some currency which I’m not sure how you acquire. Also, there are a bunch of different damage types but it’s not at all clear what each of them does, or what enemies are vulnerable to what. The game needs more tooltips! The level scaling and mission pre-requisites are also unclear - often times a side mission will have a low indicated level, but then it will take you to areas where the enemies massively outlevel you, or you can’t seem to do what the mission wants you to do, and it’s not clear if that’s deliberate or you’ve messed up somehow.

I gave it a few minutes, remembered I don’t especially like twin-stickers, and removed it :)

On to the Avengers free weekend!

Town feels too big for the type of game this seems to be, lot of running all over the place in this twisty turny place with multiple levels. Icons don’t seem super clear if they are above or below on map.

Combat is ok, still early so hopefully things open up but so far I preferred Ruiner.

Yeah, it’s exacerbated by a not particularly clear or functional map screen and a useless (for navigation) minimap. I’m starting to get used to how the mission direction pointers work, but that’s no use if you just want to find a shop or something. Hopefully I’ll just learn the location so I can navigate it by memory. Not sure if there’s more than one hub, but I doubt it.

This sucks. I was wondering why I didn’t see any DLSS or RT options. Hopefully they patch it in soon. That said, I’m getting crazy frame rates anyway, so I don’t really need DLSS

Also - All enemies were suddenly gone from my game. I noticed the game said it was “online”, but I couldn’t even exit to main menu, so clearly something about the online part wasn’t working.

Am I the only one where the option to quit to main menu doesn’t work? It just stays on the same place, lol.

Happened to me just now when I was testing out the RT thing. Might be a DX12 problem as I didn’t have any issues yesterday.

I’m loving the game, but I was having some occasional performance issues, so I tried updating my Nvidia drivers to the latest (~mid July 2021 edition), which actually made it worse.

Dropping down from DX12->DX11 has helped somewhat, as well as toning down the quality from Ultra to High. I’ve got an EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 FTW3. I’m curious if anyone else has encountered this or found anything that’s helped their performance.

I saw the developers had posted what I’ve pasted below but I’ve got some rare free time lined up need to take advantage while I can!
We are working on a fix for this as we speak. The stutters should only happen the first time something happens, so restarting will not help, it’s caching the shaders. (which it then keeps forever)

I did find this just now, but haven’t had a chance to try it yet:
https://frondtech.com/the-ascent-how-to-fix-stuttering-and-fps-drops/

Thanks. I noticed those occasional random stutters too.

dear lord…

Yeah, the game makes a great first impression but a not great second one. Enemies just spawning in right on top of you, making early fights a constant kitefest, and if you get surrounded (which is easy to do!) you can’t do anything but take damage and keep shooting. I do like how the enemies dodge, though! The map is, in fact, completely terrible. The soundtrack reminds me very strongly of Brigador.

Later in the tutorial they give you the augmentation on the LB button so that you can get out if you’re surrounded. But they don’t give you that until after the boss fight, which was a fun decision actually. It forced me to get really good at movement to get out of that boss fight alive.

The boss fight was fine but there was a lot of room. It’s the guys jumping you from behind in the tight corridors beforehand that are bleurg.

Oh, another annoyance I forgot: the game tells me eventually about my energy and tactical charge gauges, but I have absolutely no idea which parts of the UI these are, because it mentions them only and doesn’t point them out, and they are as far as I can see unlabeled.

I think one is the blue bar on the bottom right. No idea where the yellow one is indicated.

The UI in general needs work, it should be more pronounced when your gauges are charged, there these tine icons in the bottom right, put something over my character too or something.

I know! light theme ugh!