The Avengers: Infinity War Spoiler Thread

I felt the exact opposite. I felt they were not handled well. They lacked any semblance of consistency. Shouldn’t they all have happened simultaneously? Several of the ash deaths were virtually instantaneous but others were dragged out. Why were some deaths different? It was done simply for dramatic license. That was glaringly obvious and it bothered me that they did not care that there was no consistency at all. That made all of the extended death scenes like Peter Parker’s feel completely manufactured and it destroyed the credibility of those scenes for me.

Cull Obsidian was the big dude that fought Banner-in-the-Hulkbuster.

That wasn’t even his name in the comics – it was “Black Dwarf” while “Cull Obsidian” was the fancy name for the group generally called the Black Order (i.e. everyone else calls them Black Order while Thanos makes grand speeches about “the Cull Obsidian”).

I only know this because I recently read Infinity. I think Proxima Midnight’s and Corvus Glaive’s names were said, like, once.

I don’t have a stopwatch handy (or a copy of the movie), but I’d bet that the time to die was maybe ten seconds for the shorter ones and twenty seconds for the longer ones. It’s not like Peter was on his deathbed for hours or anything. It just doesn’t seem like enough of a difference to completely destroy the credibility of those scenes, but that’s just me.

One thing I found out after watching:

No wonder I liked the horned evil lady so much (Proxima something). She was played by Carrie Coon. I didn’t recognize her, but I was intriguied by her when watching and wanted her to have lot more screen time. Or hell, her own film.

Weird question - if time travel shenanigans are truly involved in part 2, wouldn’t that fuck over Marvel in China? Don’t they ban time travel films there? I wonder if the stuff about BARF is a way to get around actual time travel. I know that sounds goofy, but I can imagine that kind of math coming into play when planning expensive, global films.

What?

I had to go look this up. Maybe they won’t have a problem.

Man, that would be awesome if China banned time travel movies. Maybe they have a Ministry if Tired Movie Tropes, and they just got fed up one day and said, “Aw man, you know what? Fuck this shit, that’s some lazy-ass hacky writing. No more time travel. Also, no more ‘this time it’s personal’ sequels.”

Wow. Welcome to 2011.

-xtien

While time travel is heavily hinted at due to both Doctor Strange and Thanos using the Time Stone, it’s still technically not confirmed. Multiple dimensions is another idea, but that is its own can of worms. And technically, the original solution in the '90s story didn’t use time travel either.

I’m betting on the Ant man going super duper small into another dimension thing to be a major factor in the reset.

So would “Avengers: End Game” be too on the nose for the sequel?

Watched again today and enjoyed as much on the second viewing. I wonder if the director / producers were using the Longest Day as a reference movie. As a war movie with an enormous cast of stars they were able to give everyone at least a bit of a star turn much like the Longest Day.

Seeing Thor unleashed as an actual god has been an excellent character arc for the movies. In the first Avengers he was powerful but not much more so than the Hulk etc. But lighting a neutron star and firing the forge etc - godlike. The bifrost entrance in the battle of Wakanda and the subsequent unleashing of the stupidly named axe was brilliant.

Captain America’s reveal on the train station caught my breath again and I knew it was coming. Steve Rogers in my opinion is the heart and soul of the Avengers representing the best of ideals etc. Chris Evans has played him perfectly in every movie despite the character being pretty one note realistically.

Hulk is waiting and waiting for his moment. As Banner says Hulk comes out at the last possible second.

I hope Brie Larson and whomever is directing the Captain Marvel movie are up to the challenge as its going to be hard to follow Black Panther and Infinity War.

Avengers: Infinity War Hulk

This was fun and I enjoyed it more than most of the other Marvel trash. I’m surprised that some people think this movie will have any impact on the overall universe though. The only 2 deaths of note, Gamora (the green chick) and Vision (the purple side-kick?) has little to no effect - both were distinctly throw away characters. All the rest of the “dead” superheroes will be brought back to life in the next movie I’m sure. Regardless, it moved along at a fair old pace and I was only bored whenever they spouted nonsense dialogue about the plot.

Saw this yesterday finally. Holy cow.

I’d like you guys to compare the depth, breadth and quality of the Marvel movie franchise to the DC one.

Back when I read comics DC had better storylines and Marvel was mostly comic book action. Marvel’s storylines were just crazy sometimes while in my opinion DC had better anchor characters.

So now here we are, 19 movies later and what, 5-6 movies later? And Marvel has knocked it out of the park and DC has destroyed their IP. It’s so wonderful for the comic book fan in me and so sad for the DC fan in me. The DC movies with the exception of the first two acts of Man of Steel and the entirety of Wonder Woman are just pure trash. Marvel, on the other hand, continues to make movies that resonate with audiences, exploring complex themes and developing the characters in interesting ways. I mean in this movie we have a FUCKING RACOON talking to a pirate Norse god and it was ACTUALLY moving. How the hell did Marvel do this? How did DC screw it up so bad?

This movie passed the $1 billion mark because it’s a good movie. Period. Yes, they built up a lot of marketing but they made an entirely watchable, enjoyable movie that generated almost 500 posts here just on discussion. WB should have made $2 billion easy with Justice League. That movie was terrible. IMO they left about 1.4 billion on the table.

This movie had so many things going on, and was such a comic book movie, it should not have worked. But man it did. Wonderful. And that ending! Yes we all know time travel/alt universe stuff is probably coming, but this was not like Batman V Superman, killing off a major character a movie after you introduce them. These characters had years to set this up.

Thumbs up from me.

‘Ah, crap. I’m the captain, time to go do captain things’

I loved that scene.

“I’ll get that arm…” was another great one. What a great character they developed there. Where the heck did he come from? 5 years ago he was a joke character, and now I’d pay good money to see another crossover team up with Rabbit.

Darkseid is one of my favorite villians of all time, God Bless you Jack Kirby. Marvel just out Darkseid-ed Darkside with Thanos and his glove. If Darkseid does appear in DC movie in the next few years I won’t even watch it now because I have zero faith in DC. I have a lot of faith in Marvel.

Is it Disney’s influence vs Time Warner’s influence, do you think? Why is Marvel hitting it on all fronts and DC is screwing up so bad? DC needs a Kevin Fiege.

Damn, perceptive (sorry just catching up). I figured he gave him a fake stonr or something and that’s why his glove busted at the end. But that doesn’t fit with the “need all stones to do this unbelievably powerful thing” idea. I think you are right. His “it was the only way” means he sacrificed everything so Iron Man could sacrifice himself later to make things right, coincidentally when to the actor’s contract is up.

Pirate angel Norse god.