The Avengers: Infinity War Spoiler Thread

Thor’s arc is finished, I don’t think there will be another Thor movie. I think all the original Avengers are going to be done after Infinity War part 2. Tony Stark may stay on as a mentor for the next generation.

Maybe the MCU will just be over (lol no). I don’t know where they go after Thanos. Dr Doom? Skrulls? Secret War? Marvel Zombies? DC Vs Marvel?

Is Thor in the Odin role now? No? Not done then…

If they can get the rights to it, I can see Feige’s team doing phase iv geared around the FF.

Galatcus would be the perfect phase 4 big baddie. But that probably means FF plus maybe the Silver Surfer and who knows how the surfer would play with modern audiences.

Silver Surfer kind of sucked in the… I want to say second… Fantastic Four movie, the series with Jessica Alba.

Doom!

He’s evil Iron Man / Dr. Strange. And Iron Man is gonna be dead / retired, so, the Marvel Universe could do with another Iron Man. :D

The Surfer is my favourite marvel character and Im not certain that any version of him would ever be achievable as a MCU player.

The origin of the Surfer and Galactus is one of the more famous stories in comics but I can’t imagine it would fly with 21st viewers.

Some background on the oddity that is the SS

I stand by my original argument: that the “no emotional investment” is just setting you up so you think they’ll reverse things…and then you’ll get blindsided when people get permanently killed at the end of Avengers 4. Mark my words.

@Andy_Bates

I’m with you they’ve set the movie up for the people that ultimately do go to be totally devastating. Potentially no more Captain America / Iron Man / Hulk / Black Widow etc that’s the core of the team. Just think of the MCU with no Steve Rogers…

But there will need to be a way for the time shenanigans to be a once off or otherwise @TurinTur is right. Time stone to be destroyed in some manner.

The potential for Shuri to take over as Black Panther temporarily is pretty fun though. Asses will be kicked.

Shuri would be cool, but there is one flaw in that plan. The flower.

Granted they may have a way around that, but that seems a pretty fundamental issue to another taking the mantle.

I hope that they can find a naturally growing one. Otherwise that’s poor disaster recovery preparation by the most technically advanced nation on earth.

This is all good background stuff. I particularly liked:

When filming the battle on Wakanda, Black Panther was still in production, so the directors had to ask the actors what their characters would chant on the battlefield; they didn’t realize T’Challa screaming “Wakanda Forever” would end up feeling so powerful.

Just saw this on retail, and I agree, there is no bloody way they just killed off MORE THAN half of their IP in one movie and not find some way to resurrect them. It is the comic book superhero never die problem. There is too much money at stake to let them die. Fate of the universe? Pfffft, who cares?

I think this is probably as bad as 2. 2 is listless but this is OTT. Civil War is just right in terms of a crossover movie. There is no way we are getting the fun and excitment in 1 back, short of seeing 1 again. Even Tony Stark’s narcissism is getting tiresome rather than funny. There is one exception. “Wong you are invited to my wedding”, just before Tony flies off on a 1-way trip to the unknown. It didn’t register until I rewind and see it again to really listen to what the hell he was saying.

It’s not the “what”; it’s the “how”.

In Spider-Man: Homecoming, we know that Spider-Man is going to defeat the Vulture. The interesting part is, HOW is he going to do it? How does he change? How does he respond to temporary defeat? And more importantly, what is the cost to himself and people around him?

I mean, you could watch the entire movie and say, “There were no stakes. Of course I knew that Spider-Man was going to win!” But that’s missing the point that the journey is more important than the destination.

And with Infinity War, sure, they’re going to bring people back somehow. But how, exactly? What is it going to take for the surviving characters to bring the others back? Who will grow or change along the way? And who will have to pay the price?

If the scene of Peter Parker dying in Tony’s arms didn’t get you because you know he’s going to come back in Avengers 4, think about this: Tony may have to sacrifice himself to bring Peter back. That scene may be the last moment they ever got to see each other.

Once we get both movies back to back, I’m willing to bet that the ending on Infinity War will have a greater impact.

Watching everyone die in front of him, especially Peter who the movies have been setting up as Tony’s son, will have affected him. They foreshadowed this as his worst fear in Avengers 2.

I think Iron Man is going to be a broken person in Avengers 4, and he’s going to need Steve to bring him back into the fight.

Yeah, that’s the thing. People dying impacts the people that care about them. People dying on a big enough scale wreaks all sorts of secondary havoc. Short of “it was all a dream” or a complete time-line reset with no memory of the other way things went on literally anyone’s part, even resurrecting everyone will have fundamental impact.

IMO it is getting a bit too convoluted, like the endless Marvel crossovers in the comic book. You can feel the emotional heft… if you are invested in the characters. At this point I don’t. Not watching it as it is. It is trying to off load the work it is supposed to do to other MCU movies.

The whole Thanos emotional arc I thought it completely does not work because a) it is too anthropomorphic, assuming alien kinship is just like human kinship and b) it is asking a bit much, wanting us to empathize with someone who kills half of the universe remorselessly while remorsefully kill his own adopted daughter. There is irony but no impact for me. The movie is keep telling me I should think of it as tragic but I don’t.

And the set-pieces. Meh. Only Thor near the end with the Dynasty Warriors level of overpowering slaughter is interesting (in so far as a Dynasty Warriors movie goes…) and cathartic.

This is amazing:

That reminds me, it’s been too long since I watched that movie. Is it available on Netflix yet?

No. It’s only just coming out on physical media this Tuesday.

Hahah. No, ahem, I meant the other one from your link. Spoiler:Holy Grail.