The Avengers: Infinity War Spoiler Thread

Coming to US Netflix later this year

Small spoiler for Avengers 4, this character confirmed survivor of The Snap

Oh my the ending killed me. Perfect

I finally watched it for the 2nd time yesterday. I actually liked it more this time. They threw so much at you that its almost impossible to fully appreciate everything that is going on during your first viewing. With the benefit of hindsight, you can pick up on a lot more the 2nd time around. In hindsight, its amazing just how much they packed into those 2 1/2 hours.

Finally saw this a week ago and it’s both really good and way better than the comic (Thanos’ reasoning here is super flawed but it’s also better than the comic’s; I like that he’s so deluded about his destiny’greatness that he can’t see the flaw in his reasoning). It probably needed a few more moments to stop and breath here and there but I hardly cared. Great action, lots of great character moments (although I want Ruffalo to stop channeling Grodin now so Banner can do something properly sciency before we get the big guy back), some shocking deaths, and a terrific cliff hanger (not just “what comes next”, but the fact that Strange told Tony this was the only way).

Almost everyone completely fails to account for the Time Stone but I liked this (only Thanos and Strange & Co can properly appreciate it’s power/implications). I’ve been feeling a little Disney’d out but this was really good.

Don’t believe Loki is dead.

I bought my first and only 4k Bluray over the weekend, and it was Infinity War. I finally watched it last night on my Xbox 1X, with my fancy pants 4k TV. It was like, better than seeing at the movies. I see the appeal of this 4k thing now.

Anyway I’d like to take this opportunity to shit on DC Comics again, specifically the DC Cinematic Universe. I watched this scene, which is amazing, Thor arriving in Wakanda and turning the tide of the battle.

I realized that Thor is basically divine intervention. He’s OP as fuck, and that’s exactly what they need right at that moment and be brings hope to an otherwise hopeless battle. Even at the end, when Thanos completes the Infinity Gauntlet, Thor is able to land a critical blow and you think he just saved the day at the last instant.

Thor is basically Superman. But he doesn’t feel cheap like Superman. Thor has flaws, he has limits, he is not the leader of their team. The way the MCU has taken characters like Thor, Ironman, Cap, Hulk, b-list super heroes from the 80s and 90s when I grew up reading comics, when the Xmen, Spider-Man, Batman were all the rage, and given them arcs, character growth, set parameters around them and then broken them, within reason, to grow the character… it’s just been so good.

DC fucking sucks. Superman shows up in those movies and I’m like “great Deus Ex Superman” Why is the rest of the team there? Thor shows up and objectively it’s the SAME SHIT. Deus Ex Deus… whatever… when I saw this scene for the first time in the theater my son (age 6) and I jumped from our seats and yelled in excitement. I knew it was coming on the dvd when I watched it last night and I got a swell of excitement when it happened all the same. It’s fucking awesome. That’s how we’re supposed to feel when Superman shows up.

Instead Superman does basically the same thing against Steppenwolf (lol, but honestly the children of thanos are just as shallow in this movie) in Justice League and it’s like who fuckin cares. It’s the same basic scene. Heroes fighting swarms of aliens, they’re being beat down, suddenly Supes comes in unexpectedly and turns the tide. But it sucks. And when Avengers did it I wanted to charge through a wall in little boy glee.

I didn’t even like Thor in the comics.

Oh oh and let’s not overlook the fact that when Thor arrives he has a goddamn raccoon with a machine gun on his shoulder and a teenaged tree guy standing behind him, and it’s fucking awesome.

DC is way too serious and grimdark for a raccoon guy and tree person that only says 3 words. And if they did it, it would suck.

“I am Groot”

“I am Steve Rogers”

I think what nails the scene is Banner yelling gleefully, knowing what mayhem Thor brings.

They thought Thor was dead. It’s the same arc they did with Superman in Justice League, after Justice League! But DC sucks.

It’s so frustrating. This is what Superman should be. This is what the old Christopher Reeve movies had us feel. When Superman shows up to fight Zod after being de-powered and beat down in a diner, I felt the same way Banner did as a kid. Fuck yes Superman, you guys are so screwed now!

I like that Thor is quite literally divine intervention, not just “basically” :-P

Oh man, I loved that so much. I loved all the hopeful faces of the cab drivers and onlookers as they looked up with hope! Superman was here!

The old Batman and Superman movies always had a light side to them. You can’t say that with today’s movies.

The music that accompanies the arrival of Thor, freakin awesome. And people say the music isn’t that good.

That and Cap’s first appearance in the subway station, wanted to cheer.

You’re right, that was great too. Vision’s expression of relief was real, and how he thanks Cap afterward. They did not part on good terms 2 years ago.

That movie had so many great moments, like those you mentioned, but my favorite might’ve been The Guardians coming into “Rubberband Man” by The Spinners.

I’m looking forward to watching it again soon. One thing I’ve noticed because I was sort of conditioned to expect it, is that the first week of sales is no longer a week the films are “on sale” anywhere. That’s interesting. They’ve finally figured out that they can wait to put the films on sale much later.

The music is also quite intentional. When Cap first shows up, only the strings portion of the Avengers main suite plays, to signify the more furtive, on the run aspect of Cap’s team. With Tony’s group, the brassy sections of the music play, to indicate that it’s the team of heavy hitters. The full Avengers theme is only, finally heard in the film upon Thor’s arrival, to indicate that the team (most of them, at least) are finally “getting the band back together”.

It’s a great moment to be sure, and the score actually does some of the lifting there. Most Marvel films do have pretty forgettable music, but they sure knew what they were doing with this one.

Well it can still be forgettable and do good work. I still can’t identify more than the 5 second central part of the Avengers core theme. It doesn’t stick in the way something like Howard Shore’s Lord of the Rings tracks did.

It’s not bad, but it is very bland to my ears.

What’s this about not liking the Avenger’s Theme song? It’s brass heavy on the foreground, quick in the background, and totally thematically charged for climax moments as well as recognizable. It’s just guiding you to cheer!

And then you looking at the depressing pile of whatever it is DC is playing. If it’s not some weird rock like heavy music for Aquaman to grunt at it’s trying to get you to cry for Superman, again.