The Avengers: Infinity War Spoiler Thread

I never said I disliked it, just that it wasn’t memorable. It’s workmanlike, fine. It serves its purpose, and that’s all for me.

Now I have a particular relationship to music, and find most game and movie music to be inoffensive at best. Certainly bad music exists, and I’m not classifying it there. But rare is the game, movie, or other soundtrack that stands out as ‘great’ to me.

Fair?

Of course.

I think you might have mentioned this before, not here but another topic. I have a great love for music, am moved by it readily, and I played an instrument for years. The Avengers theme just really pumps me up when I hear it. My internal reaction is really something akin to, okay, here we go.

Oh I probably have. Because my love of music stems from me also growing up playing instruments, like you,

I guess the best way to describe it would be that my emotional connection to music is driven by an intellectual one. That’s the common theme across all my musical choices. So for me I need to form that intellectual connection.

To keep it in movies, there’s a reason I mentioned the Lord of the Rings soundtrack here, and elsewhere. It’s because Shore uses different musical themes for different cultures. The dwarven theme is much more percussion and bass heavy than the flowing melancholy of the elves. The hobbits are a jaunty string composition that echoes their carefree and playful nature.

Now the Abengers main theme has the heroic ‘call to arms’ sound, but nothing else is as evocative for me. Perhaps they’re there, but just don’t get their due. But I can’t recall a song that evokes Thor, or Cap, or Black Widow the same way. However your mentioning of different mixing of the avengers theme with different instrumentation? That is something I definitely will listen for, because that is exactly the kind of thing that gets me.

Now let me flip to a movie to a try is recent, but the music struck me the first time I watched it. Blade Runner 204. The soundscape was immensely evocative for me, which since they weee paying homage to the fantastic Vangelis soundtrack of the first is no shock. It is something distinct, different from your average action movie soundtrack. It sets the brooding mood perfectly. It is a not insignificant part of why I loved the movie the first time I saw it.

Avengers is too… generic. You’re correct it’s not generic bad, like most DC and Michael Bay movies, but it could transport into any of a dozen summer blockbusters and fit.

But I’m willing to give it another chance, perhaps there is some more spark there than I’ve given it credit for. We’ll see when I watch Infinity War again.

Here is a counterpoint to DC MUSIC SUCKS. The accompanying montage isn’t bad. Shame about the rest of the movie.

I think it’s French horns because they sound pretty light to me and not as heavy as say trombones or as deep as baritones. I agree it’s not the most majestic piece, not on par with some of the Star Wars, Trek and Potter stuff but I think it is enjoyable and works well with what they’re doing in the movies, most the time.

That’s definitely the scene I Youtube’d the most before the movie was released. Love that song.

Thoughts on Thor’s arrival:

1. It is awesome. When I watched in the theater, for a second, I was wondering if they’d lauch into the Immigrant Song. (Of course, they didn’t.)
  2. It’s only a few seconds in that scene, but I still can’t believe how bad the VFX composition of Ruffalo and the Hulkbuster suit is. The Marvel movies usually have pretty good VFX work all around, so when something is not up to that standard (e.g., the final fight between Black Panther and Killmonger or Ruffalo-Hulkbuster), it really sticks out like a sore thumb.

My son and I were talking about Avengers 4.

He wants the surviving Avengers to use the Quantum Realm to go back in time, save Quicksilver, and then have Quicksilver re-direct Thor’s almost-killing axe throw to cut off Thanos’s MF’in head.

I had not thought of that idea.

If you could go back in time, why wouldn’t you simply go back and tell Thor to go for the head?

Well, I think the film implies that Dr Strange went through all these possible permutations & time shenanigans and they all ended up failing?

Obviously the Quicksilver scenario is the only one that succeeds! ;)

Tony Stark suggests that Thanos get therapy for his obvious PTSD and other issues. Thanos does so, and after a reasonable period of insight and adjustment, uses the Infinity Gauntlet to undo the Infinity Gauntlet killings.

Fin.

Another vote here for Quicksilver saving, although it will never happen, but consider my hand raised anyway.

Dr. Strange magically make Superman a Marvel character, and he goes back in time and kicks Thanos’ ass.

I was hoping the fate of the Earth would pivot on Hawkeye and Ant-man heisting the Time Gem from Thanos using their famous trick, but the end of Ant-man and the Wasp seems to have put the kibosh on that.

Instead we’ll get something deus ex machina-y involving the Quantum Realm and Captain Marvel. Which I guess is true to Infinity War’s roots: there’s nothing more like a big comics crossover event than seeing all your favorite heroes team up, only to fail spectacularly and be bailed out by plot devices and characters you didn’t even know existed until the crossover started.

Don’t believe the hype, Avengers 4 will involve Captain Marvel, but she’s not the answer. A4 will be about the old gang working with some new allies, but at its core it’s going to be the last big story for Steve Rogers, Tony Stark, and maybe Natasha, Clint, and Thor as well.

I also want to come up with some theories!

1. The Quantum Realm and alternate timelines stuff will result in the X-Men universe being folded into the Marvel one, now that Disney bought Fox. Or did that fall apart? Thus, in the new merged timeline, the planned cameos of Magneto and Wolverine in Captain America: The First Avengers can be realized.

2. Speaking of Captain America: First Avengers; there can’t be TWO branches of the franchise that starts with “Captain” (can there?) so Captain Marvel will replace good ol’ Steve Rogers. You want proof? Captain America: The First Avenger was a period piece that set up the First Avengers movie, and Captain Marvel is a period piece that sets up the “last” Avengers movie!

The Disney/Fox deal is still on, but it won’t truly be complete until 2019. No doubt Feige and the rest of the crew are already brainstorming to come up with plans for how Disney will use the Marvel movie properties they’ll regain, but you’re not going to see any of that on screen until the deal is totally final, and likely not even immediately after that depending on where existing projects are in production.