The decline to moral bankruptcy of the GOP

I think anyone who is extremely into anything is compensating for something. And many male feminists are totally “nice guys”.

We’ve gone into this before. The answer is “sort of?” The reason why evangelicals love Israel is because it’s a supposed prophecy that the end of the world (aka The Second Coming) will come when all Jews go to Israel and there’s a huge holy war.

This is literally the only reason evangelicals love Israel. For the rest of the right wing, I suppose it’s more about Israel being somewhat of a Democracy and one of our only “friends” in the Middle East. That’s enough to overlook their treatment of Palestinians and the fact that they don’t really want peace under Netanyahu.

Also the Israeli state is authoritarian, fascist, and brutal to dissenters, which is exactly what the GOP wants for the US. This is why they like Turkey so much, why they like Poland and Hungary more and more these days, and why they would all like Russia too if only the Russians were just a bit more subtle and complaisant.

White supremacists often say, “We have no problem with [minority group], we just want them to go back to their own country.” That first bit is a lie, told to make the second part seem more reasonable.

Dissenters of a “certain ethnicity and/or background,” that is (which is exactly what some people in the GOP want for the US)

Yes, but they hate liberal WASPs too. Look at their charming reaction to the school protesters, or to anyone who shows up at a GOP congressman’s town meeting with a question to ask or to anyone representing “mainstream media” or, indeed, to anyone who disagrees with them in any way at all. Just like any authoritarian tyrants before they quite achieved full power, whether nazis, stalinists or whoever.

I see what you did there and find it disturbing. :)

(Yes, son of that Dr. Heimlich)

Republican Phil Heimlich says he’s fed up with Steve Chabot and other GOP members of Congress refusing to speak out against Russian meddling in U.S. elections and not demanding Donald Trump take action on the matter. So the former Hamilton County commish and Cincinnati city councilman is voting against his party in the 2018 midterms. “In order to protect our freedoms, my hope is the Democrats get control of at least one (chamber) of Congress,” Heimlich told PX. “I’m going to vote for any Democrat on a national level who’s on the ballot.” That means the Symmes Township resident will be voting for Aftab Pureval, who is challenging Chabot in the 1st Congressional District. Don’t be surprised if more known Republicans in that district publicly come out in support of Pureval, who looks to be gaining ground on Chabot after Sabato’s Crystal Ball changed its outlook on the race to “leans Republican” from “likely Republican.”

Does anyone look at this cartoon and think that Sessions appears to be the good guy?

Sure, anyone whose concept of good and evil is based on hat color.

Saw that movie on cable as a teenager, had forgotten about it. Might explain why I think Ann-Margaret is the great beauty of her generation though.

I know this isn’t a movie thread…but I was bored enough to watch Going In Style a couple of weeks ago, and Ann Margaret has still got it going on in that movie.

It’s Ann-Marget, people!

WaPo headline: A top Iowa lawmaker (Bill Dix) was caught kissing a (lobbyist) woman at a bar on video. He has since resigned.

Wonkette’s version is better, though: Stix Nix Dix After Lobbyist Kix, Pix

(Who can resist a reference to an 80-year old Variety headline?)

It’s amazing how deep corruption and cronyism runs in the Repug party while they tried to claim familial moral high ground (just read more background on this gem of a Congress critter)

That’s politix.

“Fischer opposes abortion, national health care, gay adoption,[3] civil unions,[4] and same-sex marriage.[5] Fischer’s comments about homosexuality caused the AFA to be designated a hate group by the Southern Poverty Law Center (SPLC) in November 2010.[6] To avoid being classified as a hate group, the AFA has officially repudiated Fischer’s views on Muslims, Native Americans, Hispanics, and African Americans, as well his claims that the Holocaust was caused by homosexuals, that homosexuality should be outlawed, and that Hillary Clinton is a lesbian.[7][8]”

“Fischer, born in Oklahoma City and later raised in Fresno, California, has an undergraduate degree in philosophy from Stanford University, and holds a graduate degree in theology from Dallas Theological Seminary.”

My Stanford friends are going to hear about this dude, during the next Cal Stanford game.