The decline to moral bankruptcy of the GOP

The problem is our particular election system inherently pushes towards two parties over the long term. Which is why, in order to change that, we’d need to first alter our first past the post, single candidate districts.

Maybe something like a ranked, or single transferable vote on a mixed member districting scheme. I know, never gonna happen, but it would do so much to counter the absolute hold that extreme politics has, and make plausible compromises.

I’ll second the motion.

I also agree with ShivaX that splitting one of the “Big 2” does exactly mean that - losing elections. I think the only way it happens is if the Republican brand becomes so toxic that they excise the extreme Right because their issues are creating a drag in the polls. The extremists would then form their own. With these former Republican extremists now assured of not getting a majority but still having a loud voice, some would start to peel away from the Democratic party and create their own Left wing. (mind, the above is hypothetical and probably has a million holes in it)

The problem is it’s easier to primary moderate Republicans, at least in the House, than it is to form a third party and win the seat as an extremist. And in many districts winning the primary is also a de facto win in November.

I have never lived or even visited the US so I can’t really say how good these two parties cover the needs of representation for the entire population. But I will still guess they are not really doing a good job. I hope some changes can be made, because a stable and sane US is a positive force in the world. And the opposite is very bad news.

Because that’s what the democratic party is now - all the moderates, with some far left people who don’t get listened to much.

I was trying to place where I’ve seen that guy. For some reason I thought he maybe was a character who said ‘a-fucking-men’ in a movie.

So I did an image search on ‘a-fucking-men’ to see if his face would come up.

The moral of this story is: don’t do an image search on ‘a-fucking-men.’ Especially at work.

He’s from Office Space.

https://youtu.be/Ih-uKlHuC6s?t=47s

That’s what the membership of the Democrat party is. The elected officials are mostly corporate pawns, with perhaps a few exceptions. But much as I’d rather have independent minds who have not been bought and sold by Wall Street, I’d rather have the current type of Democrats than the monsters who have been bought and sold by the NRA, by the Koch brothers, and by Rupert Murdoch.

Lawrence is great for when you need a one-line response to someone and want to be Internet-clever about it. Him and Sergeant Hulka.

It was confusing to me. I was not sure if I just wrote something stupid or if you agreed. I need to expand my meme knowledge.

I was wondering what two chicks at the same time had to do with representing the population.

Sadly accurate:

Corporate America has to answer to their customer base, which trends younger, more diverse and more urban than either the GOP or Evangelicals. Also, most customers of Pepsi or IBM don’t think hurricanes are caused by the gays.

That’s the russophile rep, right?

I mean, not surprised, but basically every public politician has their picture taken with random people non-stop, often with no idea of who that person is. It’s silly to treat these as important or relevant.

Yes, he is the one McCarthy quipped was on the payroll of Putin.

In this case, the person is who facilitated the meeting between Congressman Dipshit and Julian Assange. It is not a random photo op.

Most people know that by now. Hurricanes are actually caused by trangenders going into the wrong bathroom.

Oh my god, how many hurricanes have I caused after having a few too many in an unfamiliar bar?

Oh, that only applies to transgender? Heavy sigh.