The decline to moral bankruptcy of the GOP

… Yeah! I know I save all my discussions of public issues for the amphitheater in the agora. Nothing like a good weighty dialogue right before sacrificing a bull to Zeus.

Just goes to show how pathetic members of the GOP and their supporters are.

I think it’s hilarious that Republicans could claim “morality and virtue”. If there are two things that are the polar opposite of real Republicans it is those two traits.

Also ironic, the real welfare queens of today are big corporations like oil, coal, and nuclear - along with big soy and corn.

Hang Liberalism around their neck like a burning tire.

What a lovely image to incorporate in your platform from South Africa

How can we keep breaking the law if we don’t win? That’ll show Democrats how to stand for something!

Painter is describing the conservative party that I wish we had.

That’s a party I think a lot of people could get behind. In many ways, it is the democratic party these days, as between the two parties, they have become the one of fiscal responsibility, repeatedly bailing out the economy after the GOP has ransacked it. They are in favor of single payer and conservation of resources. Can’t comment on some of the other items, but the things the Dems get dragged over the coals for are generally small change.

I am not sure i would call the call the Democratic Party conservative when it comes to spending money.

I agree with Nesrie – there is no (major) party of fiscal conservatism right now.

See, this is something I could support. Or, at the very least, would support politicians to work with and compromise with.

I agree that they aren’t conservative, just that they are more fiscally responsible than the GOP.

Yeah … but the current GOP is so out there that it’s ridiculous. Just because the Democrats aren’t as bad doesn’t make them fiscally conservative though. It’s just a comparison. We don’t have a party, like @Oghier said that is actually fiscally conservative. They all abandoned that approach for their short-term pet projects and I want it now votes.

Agreed. And as soon as we have a party that does it better than the dems, I’ll vote for them. As things stand, however…

I would love to say that too but I suspect I’d lose the individual liberty piece, and I am not against social programs really, just want them to be approached carefully, and I got a feeling a new party would just decimate those two.

I am not sure I can really list what i am looking for, but I know I don’t have it right now. the GOP though made decisions easy because they’re just awful.

Debbie Stabenow (D - MI) was willing to gut a program she got enacted so the Federal gov’t could bail out Flint ($200 million.) They’re called ‘pay fors,’ and they (Democrats) adhered to that during the Obama administration (not that it mattered, since nothing got past GOP obstruction.)

Now, “fiscally conservative” usually means "Gut Medicare/Medicaid and Social Security, but don’t forget to increase Defense spending.

I’m fine with extensive social programs. We should certainly have some variant of single-payer, universal health care, for starters. We just need to have the balls to raise taxes more to pay for them, and also cut the friggin’ military by at least half.

Also, I want that pony, dammit.

No takes-backsies?

Thoughts & prayers on getting that job back, Father Pat.

Can’t this just be solved with adequate supplies of AR-15s?

The U.S. Interior Department on Wednesday said it has reinstated the mining exploration leases for the proposed Twin Metals underground copper mine southeast of Ely.

The move is a reversal of a late Obama administration move that revoked the leases because of the potential harmful impact of copper mining on the nearby Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness

https://www.bizjournals.com/twincities/news/2017/03/09/ivanka-trumps-dc-landlord-is-tycoon-behind-mine.amp.html

Andrónico Luksic is a Chilean billionaire whose family controls Twin Metals, the company embroiled in a legal fight with the U.S. government over a proposed copper mine near the Minnesota Boundary Waters. He also owns the home where two of the most influential people in Washington, D.C., are living.

That’s cool.