The decline to moral bankruptcy of the GOP

Obviously is not the abortion or affair that the GOP leadership objects to, or there’d be no one left. It’s that he got caught. Ryan has no use for a congressman that can’t hide his hypocrisy from his constituents.

If you build your entire bullshit platform around moralistic garbage, then if you can’t even abide by your own fucking rules, then what do you have left?

The House, the Senate, the Supreme Court, most state legislatures and governors houses, and the presidency?

OH SNAP

Hahahaha. @ArmandoPenblade wins post of the day for that one, I think.

This made me snicker.

27 PM

The reality is that these guys are all hypocrites of the highest order, and it stems from the fact that they have literally no moral or ethical foundations at all. Literally nothing means anything to them. It’s all just words.

The gays are bad… but half the freaking time these guys seem to have some kind of gay shit going on, if not outright sexual deviancy that they ascribe to gay people. With a lot of the moralizing of these guys, it seems like they’re just projecting their own fucked up mentalities upon others. “If you let the gays marry, pretty soon people will be fucking dogs!” Because fucking dogs is apparently something that they would do, if not for laws preventing it.

Abortion is bad… but fuck taking care of little kids.

It’s all just bullshit. I think perhaps I’m more offended than some by all of this, because for so long I personally thought that there was more to the GOP… but I’ve realized that there just isn’t. There are a few good men, like Kasich… but they are the exception, rather than the rule. While there are legitimate, moral platforms for conservative ideals, none of that is what’s driving the GOP these days. They aren’t trying to shrink government because they think it will improve the economy and help everyone… they literally do not give even one single fuck about anyone other than themselves. They are maximally selfish.

The disgust I feel with the modern GOP grows every day… every HOUR at this point. They never actually have any coherent ideas for making anything better. It’s all just a mess of what-about-ism these days. They don’t even try to justify their bullshit. They just shriek about how Obama is the devil. Jesus fucking christ, he’s not fucking president any more you bitches. Clean up your own god damned house.

All part of the plan to deconstruct the administrative state.

I could’ve written the first few sentences to describe my attitude 15 years ago after leaving the party for nominating GWB. I thought they were morally bankrupt last decade, but that was just presaging the post Obama years. The real question is: have we seen them hit rock bottom? How low will their base allow it all to go?

I confess, it’s rather upsetting.

Unless your line of work is in the media or emotional therapy.

The thing is, their base is not what I would have considered the GOP base years ago.

It’s basically just a hive of corruption, racism, xenophobia, and institutional ignorance.

I don’t think the guys voting for Trump last year were, in a general sense, supporting Gore in 2000.

And everyone who voted for Trump is as you describe above, soooo. . .

And of course, all the politicians who run on these platforms believe themselves to be above the laws they want to pass.

That was all present last decade too during the GWB years. Those elements within the Right have just been amplified in recent years, but they were right there lurking under the table. The Southern Strategy combined with the formation of the Christian Right explains so much of this decline.

It kind of goes back to the 60’s and GHWB courting the racist elements of the Democratic party iirc.

But he always talked about keeping the crazies in the basement. Then Newt let them start running shit.

Look no one wants nuclear war, but we need those tax cuts…

What’s a few million lives compared to extra money in your account anyway?

I shouldn’t have read that before bed.

That’s the second such “conversation” from Reich in the last month. They seem a little too scripted and pat for me to believe.

Hmm. Tax bill or nuclear annihilation?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I agree. On the one hand, it’s believable enough. On the other hand, it so perfectly fits the narrative so many of us are desperate to watch unfold that it strains credulity.

I’m holding out hope this is a false rumor because god DAMN. Horrifying.