The Flash (CW)

That was a really fun episode last night! I just love the Wells/Cisco/Dibny interplay. They are awesome together! Wolfe being not what he seemed to be was excellent, especially since the actor was so damn good at it.

For those that follow only the Flash…

This season has been so hit or miss for me.

• Wells/Cisco back and forth has been great, as always. Some really great exchanges this season.

• Mopey Barry was banished

• Dibney is great

The main villain(s), on the other hand, are terribad, or at least handled in such a goofy way that they’re dragging things down for me. A lot of it comes down to their presentation, which is just so weirdly dumb that it bugs me, and stops me from really enjoying them.

It all comes down to one thing for me, more or less - their appearance changes when they’re in their evil lair. Like, the wife seems to take a moment to change into Evil Clothes and do her hair up in Evil Hairdo every time they enter it. Two minutes later, when they need to jump back into the real world, she looks like normal person. Thinker is the same, but at least we saw that his hair is pretty much just a piece he puts on.

But then, he swaps bodies into that meta, the bad luck girl. Not only is he now in a body of a different gender, he suddenly then has new Sexy Evil Clothes, and has applied Evil Smoky Makeup to complete the look. It’s all just so weirdly handled.

Like, if their evil lair was in an Evil Matrix so it was all just mental projections, it’d be fine. But no, they actually go there and change into evil time outfits. Heroes changing outfits I get - they’re out in public, hiding their identities. Wearing a super villain outfit in the privacy of your own pocket dimension just is - for reasons I don’t fully understand - a bridge too far for me.

I’m not as bothered by the clothes/makeup as the fact that they have the DeVoe continuing Izzy Bowen’s country accent after taking her over. If it’s DeVoe’s brain, why would she maintain her (terrible) Southern accent?

The actress is freaking Canadian, so it’s not like she can’t talk normally.

But flaws aside… I can’t believe nobody came here to comment about Jay and Bob the security guards! I hadn’t had that spoiled for me, so I loved it!

Last night’s episode was…something.

That finally worked itself out, it was driving me nuts as well.

I’m glad we have another episode to save Ralph!

Well the season finale was a thing that I just watched.

The writers had a chance to put some twists in the story in that finale, and completely failed to do so. Ralph regains his body, Harry not brain-dead, new baby, Devoe down, finally putting future daughter in focus after a gazillion cameos…checking all the obvious points. If anyone was surprised by who it was that took down Devoe, I dunno what show you’ve been watching this season. But the follow-up was terrible: Mecha-Devoe has no defense against his ex pulling his battery? And seriously, Barry punching a satellite? They really couldn’t figure out anything else? I was hoping for some kind of new particle-accelerator-esque new explosion of metas out of the dark matter satellite thing, but no mention of anything like that. I suppose that could still be pulled out in the future if they run out of other ideas, but it sure looks like next season will be more time-travel instead.

I kind of lost interest a few episodes ago. I thought the Devoe thing was promising at first, him being a tricksy villain and all, but the season has fizzled out and meandered into a messy nothingburger.

The enduring theme of the Flash TV shows is that Barry is Bad Decision Dinosaur.

Last season felt like torture to get through, I thought I would give episode one of the new season a watch and if it didn’t make a dramatic turn around cancel my season recording.

Well. it managed to make me not cancel it lol It was very watchable and lacked all the usual WB against I was getting bored to tears with. Wow, hope they can keep it up! Now if they can somehow do that with Arrow…

I only just finished last season of Flash last week, and yeah, boy was it dumb. But as long as I keep to my exercise routine with the elliptical a few times a week, I guess I’ll still have time in my life for shows like this that don’t need my fullest attention. So I guess I’ll start on this soon…

Whole show in a nutshell right there.

“My name is Barry Allen, and I’m the dumbest man alive.”

I agree with this.

That being said, it’s still one of my favorite TV shows. All the DC stuff is appointment TV for me and the kids.

We had to give up. It just got too dumb to suspend our disbelief.

Even Black Lightning and Legends of Tomorrow? Those show are just amazing!

We didn’t even bother because Arrow and Flash just let us down so badly.

Black Lightning is tonally very different, and heavily serialized. It’s also excellent from the jump, I highly recommend it.

Legends starts off weak but by the second half of the first season starts to find it’s footing and it’s tone (silly/camp/awesome) and it maintains and improves from there, and is one of the best shows. Also recommended, but if you only watch one make it Black Lightning.

I haven’t seem the latest season, but that’s disappointing. I like Grant as Flash.

The last season is just as much fun as the previous seasons, in terms of fun, but it’s got a lot of dumb writing. A lot of inconsistencies in Arrow and Flash’s writing last year were unfortunate. I hope for stronger writing this year, we’ll see. I do love the plastic man (whatever) guy a lot, he’s brilliant and needs his own show.