~The Game Pass Thread~

Really good timing for this tennis game. They have Kyrgios on the cover, and just as the game comes out, he reaches the final of Wimbledon.

Every time I hear the phrase “procedurally generated,” I moderate my enthusiasm accordingly.

Ya that’s what I’m thinking as well. I remember when it was first a thing and we were like WOW that’s going to be amazing. And then it wasn’t. Ever.

Agreed. One thing Bethesda is great at is locations and location storytelling. I wanted to visit all the locations in Fallout 4 just to see what was there. The main quest was silly and i skipped it.

Take the locations away and only have the quests (which I imagine will be more AI related gibberish) and what do you have?

x10 for me. The downfall of game design for me. There are situations it can be used, to help fill out some things, but when it’s relied upon for a large majority of content, it’s always felt really aimless to me. It was the difference between Everquest and DAOC for me. EQ had everything hand placed, when and where mobs were, and how you had to fight through them to get to bosses etc. It was really done pretty well, whereas DAOC was just random mobs arbitrarily strewn about, and the game really felt like that.

I think if you could use random generation to help you design levels/worlds, to speed that process up, it could be great. You could just cherry pick the good ones, and then design the play around that, sadly that’s rarely done.

The quid here is how much of the game is procedurally generated, in %, and how optional it is.

Anyone play Weird West? Just fired it up, looks interesting.

People liked it so much, it got its own thread here:

I played the tutorial and liked what I played so far, and the reactions in that thread are very positive for the most part.

I know it got lukewarm reviews, but I played through the first chapter of Trek to Yomi this morning (where you’re a kid), and really enjoyed it so far. Although, I’m not really playing for the combat, just the story, and I’m enjoying the presentation.

It’s…ok? Great concept, very atmospheric, ends up being very repetitive and you exhaust most of the goodies like new gear and abilities early on and the rest of the game is a slog. I am glad I got it on Game Pass, because while it’s fun, it’s fun.

Man do I suck at serving then immediately volleying in that tennis game. Is there a run modifier to the left stick movement? Most of the time I don’t catch the return before the bounce.

Funny you should mention Power Wash Simulator. This very positive review from Skill Up showed up in my YouTube feed today.

It goes live on July 14 I believe.

That was a fun video. Had no idea it’s a Square Enix game.

My absolute fav part of House Flipper was window cleaning…so I’m all over this game!

Hey guys, guess what today is?? That’s right, it’s Powerwash Simulator day! Woohoo!

These modern games are filthy.

I think it’s also Peppa Pig day. And Escape Academy day!

And I heard Garden Story is a good 2D-Zelda-like.

I like how they didn’t want to model ladders or moveable platforms, so you just stand on the helicopter rotor blades!

I think the game has ladders, but I haven’t played yet and can’t say for sure.

Played the intro to Escape Academy and it seems like a decent puzzler type of game. I escaped a few rooms without solving all the preliminary puzzles (had a bit of luck). The puzzles weren’t terribly tough though. It’s amusing but I generally hate games with time pressure (and this seems like it’s all about time pressure, as it appears your score directly ties into how long it took you to escape). So we’ll see how long I stick with it.