The GOP is still morally corrupt, even if Discourse breaks

-xtien

In other news, SCOTUS sanctions open discrimination by the US government. Isnā€™t freedom great?

ā€œWentworth was forced to put his video game on pause for several secondsā€¦ā€

So good. Lol.

Iā€™ve mostly stayed out of the furor over the high school kids from Covington Catholic school confronting a Native American protester - most everything I could say has already been said. But this article from The Root deserves to be spread widely, not just as a sarcastic takedown (which it most definitely is) but also for the attention it draws to historical and institutional racism.

Those of us on the privileged side of history need to take every opportunity to remind ourselves that we canā€™t just look at ourselves and our immediate surroundings in isolation. Thereā€™s a long history behind every interaction we have. Whether youā€™re talking about high-profile confrontations at protest marches, or economic statistics like lower prices for black-owned homes, itā€™s not just about whatā€™s happening today, but all the history that led up to this point. And this isnā€™t just about how to respond at protest marches, but should influence all our actions - including the kinds of policies we support and who we vote for.

Full disclosure - I was one of those privileged white boys who had no understanding of how my actions might impact others, back when I was that age. (Case in point.) Experience and interactions with many people of varying races and wealth levels have taught me empathy, and I hope some of the kids from this incident can do the same.

(Originally posted on my blog, but seemed worth sharing here as well.)

I consider myself moderately knowledgeable of US history outside of whatā€™s taught in high school (I actually had a history teacher try to peddle that the Civil War was over states rights) but as it turns out thereā€™s just a depressingly lot of events Iā€™m still ignorant on.

Heā€™s not wrong.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/01/23/tough-talking-pro-trump-sheriff-implores-obama-bush-america-needs-your-help/?utm_term=.7b485d9e797c

Jones has taunted undocumented immigrants with billboard warnings that pointed toward his Ohio jail. And after thousands of letters poured in pleading Jones not to vote for Donald Trump in the electoral college, he turned them into kindling in videos posted to social media. ā€œYou see I got a lot of letters to burn,ā€ Jones said in one video as he smoked a cigar. ā€œIā€™m going to be burning letters all night.ā€
Now, Jones wants to be a uniter in the feverishly partisan social climate he has arguably intensified with his own actions.

Pleas sirs help fix the problem I have helped to create.

So what about him, as a public servant and leader? Has writing his letter to the former presidents prompted any soul-searching for how he might have also fanned the flames of social discord?

Not exactly, Jones said. ā€œIā€™m okay with my history.ā€

Also, it wasnā€™t my fault.

Maybe thatā€™s when America was great for Trumpsters. I kinda doubt it though, because the 70s came after the civil rights movement.

Well women are working too, making the workplace less fun, demanding wages and equality and all. They want the 50s. Theyā€™re working their way back.

Some would prefer the 1850s.

Well, the music and movies were pretty badass.

This isnā€™t too surprising, they didnā€™t support Trump in 2016 either. They focused their money on senate, house, and local elections.

While I wouldnā€™t characterize the Koch network as good, they are much more ā€œBig Businessā€ republicans than ā€œAmerica Firstā€ republicans, and do not suffer idiotic things like wasting money on walls, or getting into trade wars or stopping globalization and immigration. Which appears to be all the Trump white house cares about.

Before we make fun of that particular buffoonery, are we certain the DNC didnā€™t do the same for past Presidents?