The I'm drunk thread

That thing is sweet! Party at @Skipper’s!

Bring it!

The classic late-20th century martini is so dry you only pass the vermouth near the glass and don’t actually pour any. Basically it’s gin with an optional garnish.

When I order a martini I always make it clear, not too dry. Sometimes you have to. If you want straight gin or vodka, order that. It will be much cheaper too.

Agreed. I think it was some kind of period affectation emerging from the notion that the drier the drink, the manlier, or something weird like that. With sweeter cocktails like cosmopolitans being women’s drinks.

IIRC, “dry” used to refer to which kind of vermouth, not how much of it.

Churchill popularized straight gin w/ a garnish as a martini. Personally, I prefer a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio, as long as it’s decent vermouth. Also a fan of the above referenced perfect martini.

Interesting. Not surprised a drunk like Churchill was responsible for the vermouthless martini.

If I’m not dunk I have to be tipsy. I asked for a shot of rum, and they poured it like it was wine. I’m still at the resort on vacation so yeah I just drained it.

So many employees here, the DR, ask me what else I am besides American, and I tell them I’m 100 percent American and then they ask me for my other origin. I just assumed the Caribbean would be used to biracials by now… Nope.

Bottoms up, and tip that bartender!

Never been to DR, but I actually have some friends in the US from there and would love to go back on a trip with them.

Count up a spot of remote vicarious annoyance on your behalf. I hope you enjoy the resort apart from the annoying staff, though.

Which part of the DR? I’ve been down there a few times in the last decade or so. Spent some time in Costambar, Puerto Plata, and Sosua. Never been by myself, always with a group of friends (who did the planning, allowing me to maximize my laziness).

Punta Cana. The staff’s really nice just easily surprised. I don’t drink wine, beer or champagne for the most part, a few choice wines. Then I was like well I will do some hard liquor straight so might as well do rum at the source. It was okay. I got to surprise some nice Californians, east coast more common here, when I downed it all. Seemed like the best choice. The lady in the group told me her Chardonnay tasted like cherry wood.

Also all inclusive resort, hundreds of people at the pools, like two people at most in the water. I’m no. 2. Everyone else just races to the water to sun bathe.

I don’t get it.

The rum, it’s kicking in. I’m imagining an episode of Hannibal.

Cheers, btw, Nesrie. I’m having a beer!

I toured the Brugal rum factory last time I was down there. They have this room on the tour with about 20 different bottles on the wall, showing the progression from the pure raw alcohol to basic rum to the really good stuff. And then they let you sample a few, including one near the top (though not the really really expensive ones). It gets a lot better near the high end!

😋 I meant DR has way more east coast folks than west. Most of the West would go south to Mexico.

I’ve got a few days left and lots of opportunity to try more 😎.

I should warn everyone that I’m a pretty literal person when sober, and that does not get better with alcohol.

It’s okay. I think I’m sarcastically more and more funny as I drink. I am not, for what its worth.

In-laws are normally complicated, but sometimes they pretty much they fit the stereotypical bill.

I have been crushing a variety of MI beers. Founders Doom lives up to its reputation.

Hugs to everyone. I love you all and the community that we all are. Regardless of how we agree or disagree we are better to be in each other’s lives.

Unless you don’t like me, then you get an extra big hug and apology for whatever you said because let’s not kid ourselves I am clearly perfect ;)

Tell me about Doom. I love everything, Founders but havent had it.

I’m having a beer from a local brewery called Ass Clown of all things.

You know, I have to salute the microbrews. They come up with funny beer names and cool labels, but the real stroke of genius is they figured out how to put beer in a wine-sized bottle and sell it for wine prices – albeit low-end wine. Thirty years ago I would have told you the idea of selling a single bottle of beer at a liquor store for $10 was absurd, yet here we are.