The Many Other Crimes of Donald J Trump

I am taking this as the highest of compliments.

Well, as some had suggested…

Caroll is doing the Lord’s work.

The judge should install a cash register next to him on the bench.

I’m curious if any legal folks can explain what happens in this case. As I understand it, it’s not filing a new suit, but rather just filing for additional damages, on the original suit.

So what happens? A whole new trial, or what?

“legal principle that is alternately known as both collateral estoppel and issue preclusion, which states that an issue that has been “validly, finally, and actually” litigated in a prior case cannot be litigated again. In essence, Kaplan said that Trump and his legal team would face severe limitations in arguing that his town hall comments were not defamation, given their similarity to the comments at the center of the previous case in which a jury sided with Carroll.”

In other words, he is already guilty. So you just ring up another payment. Obviously a bit more complicated, but the court can just hammer him again for every instance. Judges do NOT like previous rulings being challenged.

(keep in mind that IANAL, though I did attend law school).

Cool, that fits with what I was kind of expecting, but I still have a question… What’s the process by which they determine the amount of damages? Normally that’d be decided by the jury, right? So do they need to pull in another jury to decide it? Or does the judge make the call?

I think this is part of a different lawsuit. Per the NYT clickthrough:

Monday’s filing came in a separate defamation lawsuit that Ms. Carroll filed in 2019 against Mr. Trump, 76, which is before the same judge who presided in the civil trial. That case stemmed from comments Mr. Trump made that year, shortly after Ms. Carroll said that he had raped her in a Manhattan department store dressing room in the mid-1990s. The suit has been sidetracked by appeals and is still pending.

Weird, so she had two separate defamation suits going at the same time?

IIRC the law under which she successfully sued postdates 2019.

So unfair.

Wait, so they are conceding that the Justice dept. is treating the Bidens fairly?! That will play well online.

Fortunately for anyone wondering about this letter Trump left his attorney’s number and email unredacted in the image.

Apparently (and I’m just going by Ken White earlier today) it’s SUPER complex, because her complaint isn’t for the case she just won, but rather the other civil case and suit that’s outstanding.

Here:

https://wapo.st/3MDMOhA (gifted link that Discourse won’t render because Discourse is dumb).

It’s so tough to prove intent. Until intent walks up, shakes your hand, and introduces itself to you.

On the subject, Ken’s had a pretty good radar for this:

screenshot-bsky.app-2023.05.25-14_52_19

I feel like Trump’s criminal actions really ARE the legal equivalent of the 3 stooges syndrome from the simpsons at this point.

I mean, we’ve just become numb to it, but in any normal situation if someone did any of this stuff, we’d just assume they’d go to jail.

True, but the word normal and Trump should never be used in the same sentence. In the same way that Steve Jobs was said to have a reality distortion field surrounding him, Trump has a normality distortion field.