The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

Bits of dicks? Is that like the bite-sized version of a bag of dicks?

Go eat a bag of Dick Bits, Adam!

Are they like Tim Bits? Because if they are…

In other news, the National Weather Service will finally be transitioning away from using all caps in its communications and learning how to use lower case letters.

— Alan

tbf, a hurricane is like the caps lock of weather events.

Well, this is a new one on me. It’s been raining all day here. Then it just got sunny and partly cloudy. The it started raining… Half a block away. But not here. I’m looking down the block and can see a clear boundary where the rain ends. Weird. The wife and I both tried to get it on video but it didn’t show up, really. Felt like a scene from Under the Dome. Only written better.

Sometimes it just rains across the street. Florida, man. :)

One upside to the record flooding in Louisiana:

[quote]
Tony Perkins, president of the anti-gay religious lobbying group the Family Research Council, had his home destroyed by the massive flooding ravaging Southern Louisiana this week.

Although no one wants to celebrate a person losing their home, the destruction of Perkins’ house isn’t without irony, considering that he’s claimed in the past that natural disasters are God’s way of punishing an increasingly gay-friendly world.[/quote]

I’m seriously sick of this hot summer. I just want normal moderate temperatures with heat waves in between. Toronto, Canada.

Me too. It was the hottest June/July on record in Utah this year, which means pretty much every day was right around 100F/40C or higher. It’s a very dry heat thankfully, but as someone who likes to go on walks for lunch at work, it’s been miserable.

I’m much more of a summer person than a winter one, but this year’s been a bit much. Nothing but 100 degrees every day and about a couple months since the last storm system moved through means the heat has gotten a little monotonous for me!

Yep, this is the worst summer in quite awhile, in terms of heat and humidity here in PA.I have been trying to repair my driveway this summer, its exhausting. I’ve patched the cracks and filled the dips so far, just have to seal it. After an hour of working on it I am so tired and soaked in sweat I just give up. I have 10 buckets of sealer in the shed, waiting to be applied. Just needs to be a day where its not 90+ outside.

Florida looking at the first hurricane landfall in almost 11 years. Hermine is expected to be a Cat. 1 when it makes landfall later tonight. The greatest danger is in the Northwest. Everyone stay safe.

Incredible light show tonight. Cloud to cloud lightning. Completely silent, but bright and powerful. Any meteorologists here that can explain this? How is it possible that it happens several times a minute, but it makes no sound? My guess is that it’s really high in the atmosphere.

I forget to recall exactly why it’s possible–whether it’s at an altitude or atmospheric conditions where you wouldn’t hear it, or if it just doesn’t generate the sound of thunder at all. It’s very common though–used to see stuff like this all of the time in Texas. I don’t think it’s distance (but I could be mistaken).

Randomly jumping around Wikipedia I also recently happened to stumble across the Catatumbo, which is an area of Lake Maracaibo in Venezeula which basically generates long-term thunderstorms and produces near continuous lightning roughly between 1/3 and 2/3rds of the days in any given year.

— Alan

So the latest forecast for the east coast of Florida: hurricane force winds and a foot of rain. And this is assuming that there is no landfall.

They are expecting landfall somewhere between Georgia and Delaware.

Good luck to everyone that might be affected. Be safe and stay in touch.

Hurricane Mathew.

Know how I know this is serious? The wife is bugging me to get survival supplies.

Good luck to you and everyone affected!

Hope the storm blows over leaving you unscathed. Keep us posted, Rich.

Latest info. Evacuation of people living on the coast. Schools closed tomorrow. Mathew is now expected to move a bit West. Landfall on Cuba might weaken it, but the warm water South of Florida will strengthen it. Expecting massive storm surge all along the East coast. Cocoa Beach will be slammed. Worst times expected to be from THursday noon to late Friday. Or longer. It’s moving slow, about 9mph. SO this means more rainfall and more flooding.

@KevinC from your keyboard to the Storm God’s ear, buddy. :)

My eldest goes to college in UNC-Wilmington, which is on the coast just above the NC/SC border.

They’ve ordered the campus evacuated tomorrow by noon. Now, this turns out not to be that big a deal because Thursday through Monday is their “Fall Break” and 95% of the campus was already planning on skipping town anyway, but students whose dorms are on the first floor are being advised to get as much stuff off the floor as they can so that when they get back they’ll have some dry clothes.

Latest forecast, the eye will likely make landfall just north of us. Pretty much a worst case scenario. Not guaranteed, we’ll know more tomorrow morning. 100 mph winds locally. Massive rainfall and flooding. Earlier I was wondering if we might lose power. Now I’m hoping that it isn’t for too long.