The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

Watch out Texas people.

Just a point of comparison…Los Angeles has never experienced that much rain in a year.

It’s Texas, they even do rain big!

I just rescheduled a thing i had in Houston from this “hurricane out of nowhere” we’re about to be hit with. This thing is very large and it’s aimed square at the center of the state; pretty much the whole state is going to get wet.

It’s Texas, the supreme deity is trying to be rid of it.

I told all my crews to carry with them chickens, pigs and a bull to propitiate the dark gods and keep sacrificing until the sun came back. Clearly, they failed to do so, and the gods are angry.

Texas is experiencing those damn comets in EU IV that cause -1 stability. First we get an eclipse, then we get swept into the ocean.

Can you wait a minute, there’s a few people I need to convince to visit Houston.

43% of us didn’t vote for him. Please don’t doom all of us for the 52% idiots.

Oh, sorry, wasn’t talking about Trump, though to be honest, I guess that was a second joke. Just the more day-to-day, too many crazies in Texas joke instead. Similar to “Florida man” jokes.

I have several family members living around Texas. It is a love/hate even for them.

Don’t apologize. He must be cleansed!

So the latest I saw was that Harvey has the potential to hit Cat 1 and stall once it makes landfall. Possibly up to 2 feet of rain. Holy crap, be safe everyone.

The hospital where I work is predicted to get 20 inches of rain starting tomorrow night. Austin, home, is on the border of the 10-20 inch zone. I expect it to be ugly.

It’s projected to Cat 3 now. European model has it stalling then going east back into the Gulf and going up the coast to Louisiana. Doesn’t look good for Houston/Galveston. Could be around 20 inches of rain. We’re doomed.

Jesus, New Orleans is still bailing out from the last flood and their pumps are all overtaxed as is. Not that I’m unsympathetic to you Texas folks, just that most of my family is in Louisiana.

Most paths have it hitting Texas solidly. One has it veering right. Good luck, folks.

Welp, we’re gonna ride it out as best we can. School was declared off for tomorrow and Monday in our school district. I’m going to work tomorrow but will head out early.

Went to Sams this evening to fill up on gas, and the attendant was putting cones in front of the pumps. They were out of regular. I told him my car uses premium anyway, so he removed one of the cones for me. I got there just in time, because according to the attendant they were running low on premium too. A couple of F150s were already at the pumps filling up on the expensive stuff, so gas must have been scarce at other stations.

Kingwood has two main roads leading to the freeway, and they are both prone to flooding. Fortunately I’ll be working from home tomorrow and Monday. We’re on the northeast side of Houston, so maybe the rain won’t be so bad here. Fingers crossed.

We don’t have a Hurricane Harvey thread in P&R yet, so apologies in advance if this doesn’t belong here. Edit: cross-posted in the Immigration thread (P&R).

As thousands of Texans prepare to evacuate their cities due to Hurricane Harvey, the United States Border Patrol said it is not planning to close its roadside immigration checkpoints north of the Rio Grande Valley unless there is a danger to travelers or its agents.

“Border Patrol checkpoints will not be closed unless there is a danger to the safety of the traveling public and our agents. Border Patrol resources, including personnel and transportation, will be deployed on an as needed basis to augment the efforts and capabilities of local-response authorities,” the agency said in a statement.