The Mother 'Effin WEATHER Thread

That and the folks in the neighborhood yelling and laughing like little kids. Myself included. :) If you’re a power worker in my neighborhood expect a sloppy kiss from me.

Edit: My printer was especially happy to cycle and waste ink.

Yeah, but transfer it to what? Lol I literally don’t have a purpose for the water. Thanks for the idea though I can use that provided I have somewhere to put it.

@Clay I’m guessing we could use maybe 10 gallons of it before the kids need another bath and we need the tub, but maybe I could teach them how to flush a toilet that way

Edit: internet is back!

The sink? Toilet? Out a window? Buckets?

Here’s a bit of a follow-up piece.

Oh no, it’s in a tub so if I just want to drain it I can pull the plug.

Out the window to a rain barrel though… hmmm, maybe

Mine isn’t :(. I was the last one of my coworkers and friends to lose power and might be the last to get it back, well so far except my coworker in redneck ville Geneva. If he gets power back before me :(

Nope nm last to get power on

Summary: “Hurricanes aren’t coming more frequently, so even though they are more powerful and more destructive we argue they are not at all connected to climate change. Also, we will be better off leaving the energy economy alone and grow our piles of $$$ enough to pay for the damage we may suffer in the future.”

No updates from @Granath since the storm hit?

Houston floodwaters contaminated. The thrust of the story isn’t remotely surprising to me, though of course it’s another terrible human toll of the disaster. If an entire city is underwater, it’s hard to see how sewage and other toxins wouldn’t get mixed in there. Relatedly, and perhaps more foolishly, one of my first thoughts on seeing people walking through flooded cities in Florida was “How would I know that water isn’t full of alligators?”

Not just the toxins, but mold too.

Most of the flooding would be storm surge so brackish or salt water.

Otherwise, we’re all used to alligators at this point.

Almost every photo of a flooded house that I saw showed an oil slick of chemicals surrounding it. Houses are full of all sorts chemicals. Multiply that by tens of thousands, as well as hundreds of thousands of cars. Yeah, that’s going to be really bad.

And that’s not even taking into account the massive mold problem.

Irma was fun. No power. Shelters full. No water. No gas. No cell service.

We did pretty well all things considered. But here we are a full 3 days after the storm and I have not seen a FEMA truck anywhere. In fact I have not seen one iota of state or federal assistance anywhere. No signs. No notices. No nothing.

Remind me to never visit your place for a birthday party. :P

Glad you’re doing OK one way or another.

Agreed with @arrendek; it’s really good to hear from you again, as sad as I am about all the nasty stuff that you had to slog through. I hope cleanup and recover starts moving a little faster!

Don’t they usually just set up trucks in a parking lot to distribute water and ice? I’ve never actually seen one in real life, just on a local news story.

Having to respond to back-to-back hurricanes may have slowed things down.

This feels strange. Many Atlanta area school districts are still closed on Thursday.

Welcome back! It was a bit unnerving when you were offline for a few days. So are services back online for you, or was that description your current situation?

I’m also curious about FEMA trucks. What would they normally be doing?

-Tom

Rounding up people for the Death Camps. Duh. Don’t you follow Fox News?